Dedicated RAM in laptop

Go to solution Solved by aDoomGuy,

Well as far as I know, you will have 8GB dual channel and 12GB single channel. So in cases where you use more than 8 GB RAM the system will operate slower. If it is noticable I don't know..

I would rather get one with stock 16 gigs dual channel and not worry about it.

Hello everyone, so basically i need a new laptop for university, my major is computer science so i went for the i7-10th gen with 16gb ram and 1tb nvme with 1tb HDD combo. But i went to a couple different shops and they all said that laptops come with a pre-installed 4gb ram stick that is unremovable and 1 other free slot, so they can add a 16gb stick in it for me and the laptop becomes 20gb of ram. So my question is does that actually work or does the 4gb stick affect the performance of the 16gb stick and make it slower?

Thanks

Well as far as I know, you will have 8GB dual channel and 12GB single channel. So in cases where you use more than 8 GB RAM the system will operate slower. If it is noticable I don't know..

I would rather get one with stock 16 gigs dual channel and not worry about it.

14 minutes ago, Georgeskal said:

a pre-installed 4gb ram stick that is unremovable

not sure about that. But i mean they are probably talking about "without voiding your warranty.

I'd say if you like it - buy it and when the warranty ends, open it up and install double 32 or something (just make sure this laptops mobo supports it)

Futureproof your builds and try not to fry anything

20 minutes ago, Georgeskal said:

does the 4gb stick affect the performance of the 16gb stick and make it slower?

Not really, it will be 4+4+% for being in dual channel and 12 in single channel, but they would work just fine together (granted clock speeds and timings are in close match between sticks)

Just now, Covelight said:

not sure about that. But i mean they are probably talking about "without voiding your warranty.

No, what they probably mean is that 4GB is soldered and there's one SODIMM slot. It's fairly common on newer thin-and-lights. 

That said, there's an option to get 16GB out of the gate, do it. It's got the least amount of headaches involved. If there's only the option you described, it'll probably run in single channel mode so you should only upgrade if you absolutely need the extra RAM. 

6 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

It's fairly common on newer thin-and-lights

Aww, that's really unfortunate