HDD to SSD software transfer.

Wackojacko

Hey everyone,

I need some help,

So i am going to put an SSD into my Laptop as Boot Drive, it's going to be an Samsung 840 Evo 120GB

my laptop has 2 internal HDD slots, where 1 HDD is in now. that HDD is a Western digital Black 7500BPKT 750GB

how do i transfer software OS and drivers and such the OS is windows 7 64bit from my HDD to my SSD, do i stil need an USB Flash Drive or CD for it?

or can i just run it from the HDD to the SSD?

anyone who can explain it in steps, or has a link to doing this step by step, would be Great!

so

- HDD Western digital 7500BPKT 750GB

- SSD Samsung Evo 120GB

- the laptop has 2 Internal slots.

Thank you

I believe Samsung offers the Samsung Migration tool, I don't know if that program offers the functionality you're after. 

phanteks enthoo pro | intel i5 4690k | noctua nh-d14 | msi z97 gaming 5 | 16gb crucial ballistix tactical | msi gtx970 4G OC  | adata sp900

You'll want to have your OS on a disc or USB drive. You likely won't be able to go online to download drivers and updates since you have to download the Realtek network driver to enable ethernet.

Want to find parts in your budget? Logical Increments is the guide you need. | In the market for a headset? Read this thread. | If you're looking for headphones, please refer to this thread. | Stop being backhanded when offering advice.

CPU: Intel i7-3770K @ 3.5 GHz | CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Frio OCK | Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-V LK | Memory: 16 GB Corsair Vengeance LP (DDR3-1600) | GPU: MSI Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition x 2 (Crossfire) | Storage: 120 GB Kingston SSDNow V300 SSD, 2 TB Toshiba HDD | PSU: Corsair TX850 V2 | Case: In-Win Mana 136 (Black)
Monitor: ASUS VS248H-P | Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 (Cherry MX Brown) | Mouse: Logitech G500 | Speakers: Logitech X-140 | Headphones: Philips Fidelio X1, Sony MDR-X05 | Webcam: Logitech C510

Create an Image from your current OS, save it onto a spare hard drive and keep it safe in case you ever need to re-install again.

As was said above, Samsung has a data migration tool that I believe comes with their drives. How I did the transfer was to plug in my ssd with a USB to SATA adapter I salvaged from a dead external hard drive. Then when in Windows I ran the data migration tool, and I was done. You might be able to do it just by having the drive installed in the machine though, if you don't have the USB to SATA adapter.

i use redo backup software, but beware, if you copy your HDD, then put it on your SSD as a bootable, your HDD os will be screwed up, saying that your local disk is D, and none of your programs will work properly, but the SSD will work fine. if you need to fix this, you need to edit the drives in the registry.

it will basicaly be a hybrid of the two os's on your HDD, it will boot windows form the D drive (which was C) and will boot programs from the C drive, and if you startup and repair without the SSD it will not work, just freeze, so beware if you plan to make two bootable drives.

but if you want to copy your os to the SSD and wipe the HDD, redo will work fine.

Build: Sister's new build |CPU i5 2500k|MOBO MSI h61m-p23 b3|PSU Rosewill 850w  |RAM 4GB 1333|GPU Radeon HD 6950 2GB OCedition|HDD 500GB 7200|HDD 500GB 7200|CASE Rosewill R5|Status online

Build: Digital Vengeance|CPU i7 4790k 4.8GHz 1.33V|MOBO MSI z97-Gaming 7|PSU Seasonic Xseries 850w|RAM 16GB G.skill sniper 2133|GPU Dual R9 290s|SSD 256GB Neutron|SSD 240GB|HDD 2TB 7200|CASE Fractal Design Define R5|Status online

i don't really understand all of it, but i think i do most of it haha, 

just found a Rewritable DVD lying around i'll make a bootable dvd for it aswell, just in case.

but thank you

Western digital has a tool that I have used many times and I love how it has worked every time. It's easy just click reboot and it does it's thing.