PC can't power on due to SATA power cable?

Go to solution Solved by _Froyo,
17 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

Specs for the rest of the pc?

And did the PSU only come with one Sata power cable ?

Dell Optiplex 7010 MT motherboard with an i5 3470 and 2x4Gb DDR3.

I bought the PSU used and it came with two cables for SATA power, one clearly not the original and the other looked as though it could be. After doing some research though, it seems that the cable I thought was the original is actually not from the same PSU, so they are both meant for different power supplies. I've just ordered a cable that I know is meant for Corsair power supplies; hopefully that will do the trick.

So here's something new for me: power issues due to a SATA power cable. Was wondering if any of you have had this issue and what you've done about it.

I'm putting a computer together and initially only plugged in the CPU power and 24 pin connectors from the PSU to the motherboard. The system started up and I was able to get into the BIOS just fine, so I connected my 2.5" SSD to try and install Windows on it. When I did this, the fans on the computer spun for a split second, then the whole thing died - no response from the power button or anything. It powers on just fine as long as the SATA power cable isn't connected to anything, but as soon as it is, the PC seems to have power issues. The PSU is semi-modular (a Corsair CX550M), so I've tried plugging different SATA power cables into different inserts on the power supply, but they all have the same result. I even tried different SSDs, but that doesn't make a difference either. Does anyone know what I can do about this?

Are you using the SATA cables that came included with the power supply or different cables? 

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

2 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Are you using the SATA cables that came included with the power supply or different cables? 

I have one of each and I've tried both, the same thing happens with each.

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

17 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

I bought the PSU used and it came with two cables for SATA power, one clearly not the original and the other looked as though it could be. After doing some research though, it seems that the cable I thought was the original is actually not from the same PSU, so they are both meant for different power supplies. I've just ordered a cable that I know is meant for Corsair power supplies; hopefully that will do the trick.

9 minutes ago, _Froyo said:

Ah, I see, yeah that's likely your issue then... power cables are usually not interchangeable between PSUs and should not be attempted unless you know they really are compatible. 

Good luck with the new cable then. 👍

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer