Rear exhaust fan necessity

Kasenumi
3 hours ago, td. said:

I think it's great that you have a process that works for you.  As someone who owns a Torrent, and has tested multiple different configurations of fans on/off and different fans, hopefully you can understand my indignation when someone who doesn't own the case tells me that better performance can be had with as few as 2 fans based on forum posts and youtube videos you've seen.  The reason I suggested a few times that you pick up a GP-18 and compare it to your T30s is because frankly, your interpretations and extrapolations of internet fan tests have clearly lead you far outside the realm of being able to offer useful advice in this context.  A GP-18 would serve as a much needed $30 reality check. 

Hopefully this post doesn't come across as too contentious, I do like talking about case setup and exploring optimal configurations.  It just needs to be fruitful, and in good faith.  

ya even if 2 people have the same case odds are they dont have the same hardware. or even the same ambient temp. even if you have 2 same hardware it can still vary that's were silicon lottery come in to play.

gn on his standardized case test uses 3 of the same fans and even with thows 3 they very form each other up to like 10% so he labeled them so he place them in the same post every time.

then theirs the os all kinds of stuff that gos on in the back ground that can effect the outcome of the test.

so many variables to consider

Edited by thrasher_565

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

Reading back my last post, it did come across as too contentious.  So I apologize for that @Dogzilla07.  I appreciate that you are open minded about some configurations working better than others, even if it's counterintuitive.  I didn't do any sort of substantial testing as we both agree, so if you have any theories on what might work best for the Torrent, I would be happy to try them out.

I think I can make a good challenge that we can both work together to solve.  Right now my GPU runs at 1800 RPM, and it is the loudest thing in the case.  Temperatures are already about 80c, so I don't have any more temperature headroom to lower the GPU fans.  If we can figure out a way that I can get my GPU to run at 1700 RPM instead (not by undervolting, only by changing case fans around), then that would give me a very real improvement in my noise situation.  

Thanks! 

9 hours ago, thrasher_565 said:

so many variables to consider

Exactly, most of the differences will come down to mounting pressure/issues, silicon lottery, ambient temperature, different boosting behavior (even with same parts). And someone wants aesthetics, so they'll fill up all the slots, someone doesn't care as much about noise on load (with good headphones), etc, ... There's plenty of ways to go about setting up a case, and they work. I'm not saying those ways are wrong, or how worse they are, or anything like that. All I'm saying is there's better ways to do specific things.

And to compare setups to each, and actual parts is not accurate without a good methodology.

6 hours ago, td. said:

Reading back my last post, it did come across as too contentious.  So I apologize for that @Dogzilla07.  I appreciate that you are open minded about some configurations working better than others, even if it's counterintuitive. 

Np, we've all been there. It's very counter-intuitive, yes, and it all stems from air being a fluid, and behaving more like liquid inside a case (which is contrary to how we imagine it as gas).

https://www.overclock.net/threads/ways-to-better-cooling-airflow-cooler-fan-data.1491876/

If you don't mind a bit of reading, check topics: (clicking on them is a bit buggy, so you will unfortunately have to scroll down to them a bit)

no.5 How Airflow works , setting up a case for optimum cooling

no.11 P-Q curve, how airflow and static pressure specifications relate to real world use, actual airflow versus peak cfm & static pressure

no.15 Case bottom spacing effect on airflow to bottom fans, grill & Filter effect on airflow & noise level.

There's a few more good ones, but these are key, and yes it's a bit older, there's some differences how this applies to some cases, some GPUs, and to miniITX, but the core is so good, and timeless. When u have decent understanding of the basics, it's easy to experiment, adapt, subvert and change things. But you still need to core to have a reference point.