Questions about 60hz

hawthorne

I have a 60hz monitor, does that mean the fps I see never exceed 60? Should I cap games at 60 fps?

Twitter | Steam |

Yes and maybe

Yes. Also yes. If you have more fps than Hz you will get screen tearing. And that is bad.

Maybe?

Depends some games give you a advantage with more fps, source cod etc.

Yes. Also yes. If you have more fps than Hz you will get screen tearing. And that is bad.

I have encountered aweful tearing on mirrors edge cut scenes.

Twitter | Steam |

I'll rather take some tearing over inputlag with VSYNC

unRAID 6.3.5 Plus | CASE: Fractal Define R5 | MOBO: Supermicro X9DRL-iF | MEMORY: Samsung ECC REG 64GB 8x8GB | CPU: 2 x XEON E5-2670v1 | PSU: Corsair RM850x 850W | DRIVES: 1 x Seagate Ironwolf 8TB [Parity drive] 2 x Seagate Ironwolf 4TB [Data drives] 4 x WD Red 4TB NAS Harddrive [Data drives] | CACHE: 2 x Crucial MX300 275GB SSD [Cache drives in RAID1] | 1 x HyperX Fury 120GB 2.5" SSD [Plex drive] | OS drive: Kingston Datatraveler SE9 16GB USB drive

https://technicalramblings.com/

I'll rather take some tearing over inputlag with VSYNC

What does vsync do? I know nothing about monitors.

Twitter | Steam |

V sync locks the games refresh rate to match the monitor 

In this case it will run the game at 60 fps to match the monitors 60hz

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

V sync locks the games refresh rate to match the monitor

In this case it will run the game at 60 fps to match the monitors 60hz

So just an fps cap.

Twitter | Steam |

So just an fps cap.

Sort of, but it Also drops the cap from 60 to 30 in the case of 60hz monitors, if the Game runs under 60 fps.

To get around that use nvidia's adaptive vsync, or the similar feature in radeonpro.

Stock coolers - The sound of bare minimum

If you have a 60Hz monitor. You are not limiting the graphics card. If the graphics card output 300fps, it will despite the monitor being 60Hz.

It must be noted however that 1Hz = 1 fps. This means that despite the monitor receiving 300fps, it can only display 60 fps among these 300.

The result, is tearing effect as you see on some games (usually fast paced ones), like in your case Mirror Edge. Basically the monitor tried to display 2 or 3 frames at ones, as it gets all these frames. The monitor is simply too slow at drawing these frames.

The solution?

V-SYNC. V-Sync is a technology which make the graphic card limit it's frame output to 60fps, to match your monitor 60Hz (if you have a 120Hz monitor, it would be 120fps). This result in fixing the tearing issue. However, you may notice an increase input lag, depending on you. Usually only hardware FPS players, with twitch fast reflexes will really notice it. The input lag is not visible at all on slower paste games such as point and click adventure games, strategy games like StarCraft, Civilization, and so on.

Another issue with V-SYNC is that the game fps will pick a multiple of your monitor. What I am trying to say, is that if it can't render 60fps, it won't go down to 50fps, or 45fps, it will go down to 30fps, and if it's 25fps, it will down to 15fps. Meaning that if you have V-SYNC turned on in your game, and you don't have the computation power to render the game at a solid 60fps, you'll really notice the frame drops. Now the graphic card of recent years are bit wiser. If your game drops at 59 or 58 fps, it won't just drop you to 30fps. for that moment. It will output 59 or 58 fps to the monitor, as if V-SYNC was turned off, to reduce the visual performance drop. So you don't need to worry about it.

Video game console always have V-SYNC turned on. Games runs at either 30fps locked, or 60fps.

Usually only hardware FPS players, with twitch fast reflexes will really notice it. The input lag is not visible at all on slower paste games such as point and click adventure games, strategy games like StarCraft, Civilization, and so on.

I'm guessing you mean "hardcore FPS players"

I'm NOT a hardcore FPS gamer. I can easily feel the difference. The mouse just feels different, slower more laggy. 

unRAID 6.3.5 Plus | CASE: Fractal Define R5 | MOBO: Supermicro X9DRL-iF | MEMORY: Samsung ECC REG 64GB 8x8GB | CPU: 2 x XEON E5-2670v1 | PSU: Corsair RM850x 850W | DRIVES: 1 x Seagate Ironwolf 8TB [Parity drive] 2 x Seagate Ironwolf 4TB [Data drives] 4 x WD Red 4TB NAS Harddrive [Data drives] | CACHE: 2 x Crucial MX300 275GB SSD [Cache drives in RAID1] | 1 x HyperX Fury 120GB 2.5" SSD [Plex drive] | OS drive: Kingston Datatraveler SE9 16GB USB drive

I'm guessing you mean "hardcore FPS players"

LOL yes. Stupid spell check, and me not being careful.

I'm NOT a hardcore FPS gamer. I can easily feel the difference. The mouse just feels different, slower more laggy.

I am not noticing this in any of my games, nor my friends, except for 1. But he is a Counter Strike fanatic... although not to level of buying a 400$ knife that keeps scores.

LOL yes. Stupid spell check, and me not being careful.

I am not noticing this on any of my games, nor my friends, except for 1. But is a Counter Strike fanatic... although not to level of buying a 400$ knife that keeps scores.

Heh. Different people different experiences i guess  :P

The last game I noticed it on was Titanfall, big difference imo.