Is Windows 11 worth it?

shebb

Yes, i watched the LTT video, but that was a test build. Those who are using windows 11 now, would you recommend it?

PC SPECS: Ryzen 7 2700 / Radeon RX 570 / 16GB DDR4 3200MHz RAM

2TB HDD storage / 120GB SSD storage / Gigabyte A320m-S2H motherboard

2 minutes ago, James Evens said:

no

thanks bro 

PC SPECS: Ryzen 7 2700 / Radeon RX 570 / 16GB DDR4 3200MHz RAM

2TB HDD storage / 120GB SSD storage / Gigabyte A320m-S2H motherboard

is there a reason you wouldn't recommend it?

Proud owner of a custom water cooled Ryzen 1400. 5800x  

Just now, Npiet1 said:

is there a reason you wouldn't recommend it?

i've only tried it in virtual machines as my computers are unsupported, but from what i've tested it's heavier and it's scheduler is worse for gaming in some areas. on top of that is the fact that it's very new, therefore very buggy. i'd stick to Windows 10 for at least a few months. 

She/Her

I'm running windows 11. I did the upgrade last night. I hit a couple of bugs but figured out how to fix them. If you do go windows 11, a tip for boosting gaming performance. Make sure "core isolation" is disabled. It slows things down.

@Ashley MLP Fangirl it works just fine in gaming. I've already tested it with a few games (doom eternal, cyberpunk, destiny 2). All run at the same frame rate as win 10. Just like i said, make sure "core isolation" is turned off.

New release of windows are always bad for the first few months. We tend to forget it over time, but even Windows 7 wasn't perfect on release. Windows 10 even less so (and lets not even mention Win8, which took 8.1 to fix most of the issues with it).

Wait 6 months to a year, for the first big update to come out and the OS to actually be in a semi "final" state. Let other people beta test it.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

At the moment, no.

Unless there is something in w11 that you feel you really need or want, there is no real reason to switch

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

No.

That goes triple if your system isn't SoTA. This TPM/SecureBoot/Nth gen CPU artificial limitation is bullshit, full stop.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

13 minutes ago, Digideath said:

@Ashley MLP Fangirl it works just fine in gaming. I've already tested it with a few games (doom eternal, cyberpunk, destiny 2). All run at the same frame rate as win 10. Just like i said, make sure "core isolation" is turned off.

as LTT have also shown in videos, it's more apparant on ryzen, specifically cpu's with multiple CCX's as 11's scheduler spreads the load more which on those cpu's is bad. 

also, you cannot deny it's a lot heavier than 10 is. not just in cpu but also in ram use, and gpu use due to it's fancy animations. it's fine if you don't notice that if your pc is fast enough, but many people still run 8gb of ram or a low end gpu, on that hardware you'll notice. 

She/Her

15 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

New release of windows are always bad for the first few months.

it's not just Windows. new macOS releases suck until the first major update. it's a well known thing in the Apple community to wait until the .1 update lol

She/Her

9 minutes ago, Ashley MLP Fangirl said:

as LTT have also shown in videos, it's more apparant on ryzen, specifically cpu's with multiple CCX's as 11's scheduler spreads the load more which on those cpu's is bad. 

also, you cannot deny it's a lot heavier than 10 is. not just in cpu but also in ram use, and gpu use due to it's fancy animations. it's fine if you don't notice that if your pc is fast enough, but many people still run 8gb of ram or a low end gpu, on that hardware you'll notice. 

I'm on a ryzen 7 3700x and im def not seeing any issues. It barely uses any of my cpu. Windows is currently using 6.6gb of ram wich is the same as it would use in win 10 (i have 32gb of ram).

Maybe it's harder on lower end systems? But mine is pure eating it up. Again, ive tested multiple games and they all perform the same as win 10. Where is this slowdown im supposed to be getting??? Everyone is trying to say its harder and hits performance but ive yet to see it. It's works and performs just like win 10.

4 minutes ago, Digideath said:

I'm on a ryzen 7 3700x and im def not seeing any issues. It barely uses any of my cpu. Windows is currently using 6.6gb of ram wich is the same as it would use in win 10 (i have 32gb of ram).

Maybe it's harder on lower end systems? But mine is pure eating it up. Again, ive tested multiple games and they all perform the same as win 10. Where is this slowdown im supposed to be getting??? Everyone is trying to say its harder and hits performance but ive yet to see it. It's works and performs just like win 10.

your machine is basically top of the line for home use. i'm talking about limited hardware, for example a core i3 or i5 with 8gb of ram. on that, you'll notice. you just have a really fast computer that isn't really affected by how heavy the OS is. 

She/Her

36 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

New release of windows are always bad for the first few months. We tend to forget it over time, but even Windows 7 wasn't perfect on release.

I was part of the beta for 7, it was a huge improvement over vista even in it's state.

Thinking of switching cause of HDR, and 5.1 surround sound system.

Already heard HDR is much better, haven't heard anything about the sound yet though.

Proud owner of a custom water cooled Ryzen 1400. 5800x  

3 minutes ago, Npiet1 said:

I was part of the beta for 7, it was a huge improvement over vista even in it's state.

Thinking of switching cause of HDR, and 5.1 surround sound system.

Already heard HDR is much better, haven't heard anything about the sound yet though.

Hdr is supposed to be better but i don't use it. Hdr in my monitor is badly broken. However, i have a 5.1 audio card. I'm using 5.1 surround speakers and a 7.1 surround headset. All work fine although i did hit a bug with my mic. It wasn't being detected and the windows sound settings panel bugged out. It hung pretty bad and i couldn't select any options. However i updated my audio drivers and reboot the computer. That sorted it for me. Just watch. After the upgrade, all your sound settings will be set back to default values.

1 hour ago, shebb said:

Yes, i watched the LTT video, but that was a test build. Those who are using windows 11 now, would you recommend it?

like linus's video said

being an early adopter sucks

don't buy an operating system, or pretty much anything the day it comes out, best to wait at least a month or so for the major bugs to be fixed

43 minutes ago, Ashley MLP Fangirl said:

your machine is basically top of the line for home use. i'm talking about limited hardware, for example a core i3 or i5 with 8gb of ram. on that, you'll notice. you just have a really fast computer that isn't really affected by how heavy the OS is. 

I am running it on an old core 2 duo machine that has 4gb of ram. On that system it runs about the same as 10 did. 

37 minutes ago, m9x3mos said:

I am running it on an old core 2 duo machine that has 4gb of ram. On that system it runs about the same as 10 did. 

you won't have the fancy graphics enabled and stuff, your experience on an unsupported system and the features that are enabled as a result is different than a supported one. 

She/Her

1 hour ago, Ashley MLP Fangirl said:

you won't have the fancy graphics enabled and stuff, your experience on an unsupported system and the features that are enabled as a result is different than a supported one. 

The graphics and ui all looks the same as it does on my precision 5540 with a 9th gen chip. 

I have installed on unsupported hardware and I would say: yes!

That said it depends on your setup. If you multiple monitors support then the new taskbar (new code) isn't ready yet. It took a step back from Win10. It would match in feature parity but probably will have to wait for next year update to get it. 

If you don't or don't mind the limitations then I would say yes. The OS is more consistent than before and it's user interface is more polished. The new features it brings are welcome in my opinion, and has helped me be a bit more productive. 

After actually using Win11 for a while (I am in the Insider Program) I started to like the new Start menu. 'Recommendation' section helps quickly jump to projects I was currently working on.

We do know that, however, that Windows 11 interface improvements were split on 2 phases. Now, what we have, and next year. If you want day 1 best experience/polish, probably you want to wait.