home server

jathor

Hey, I just wanted to show off a home server i built for 171$.

Specs: amd athlone II x4

asrock 970 extreme 3 r2.0

8 gb mushkin stiletto ram 1333mhz

intel i340-t2 network adapter

amd 5450

os drives: 2X 160gb wd drives (one for backup)

areca 1210 raid card (in raid 5)

4x 1tb wd green drives

xfx 550w psu

noctua nh-c14

antec 300 (or 302, not sure)

the only things i paid for were the noctua heatsink at 60$ brand new from kijiji, the mobo new for 66$ from canada computers and the psu from ncix at 45$.

everything else i sourced from a repair shop i used to work for.

i think it was a pretty good deal! it was kind of a project to keep me busy for a while and also for convenience. now all the movies and music are stored on this server and whoever is at my place can help themselves to wtv i have and can also stream it (which is what my brother and i do). It is also connected to the tv so we can watch youtube or movies from the big screen using a k400 logitech keyboard/mouse combo. (fyi, the keyboard isnt all that great, at all actually, but it serves its purpose very well).

i replaced the areca's god awfully loud fan with a noctua nf-a4x10 flex fan and use only one of the fans included with the heatsink to keep things quiet. i have 2 coolermaster fans for intake (which i undervolted to 7v to keep things quiet and the same goes for the silverstone exhaust fan and it's basically silent.

i am planning of getting myself one of those silverstone htpc cases. i think they look great and would fit everything i have in there. That is also the reason why i went with that heatsink (for clearance).

http://imgur.com/a/8GxKh#0

btw, how do i embed pictures here?

Looks awesome.

The first step to insanity is believing in your sanity.

Hahaha, lol, thanks mvitkun!! And hiyayhi

NOCTUA'S, i love everything with noctua's :wub:

#killedmywife #howtomakebombs #vgamasterrace

yeah it`s a pci-x raid card so honnestly not the fastest thing but enough to play 4 hd streams at the same time! and that 40mm noctua is (pardon the next couple words) the cutest thing ever!

and way way quiter than the original fan on the raid card which sounded abismal. but hey, most of those things were free so no complaints