My cpu isnt supported for windows 11.. (i7 6700). and cant force install.. lulz.

nelska

It's a gen backwards and would run perfectly fine but its been banned by the elitists. Anyone know if itll ever be supported? my pc is good to go to update elsewise. 

No. It's already a 7 year old chip, and it'll be a decade old by the time Windows 10 goes EOL. No one supports decade old hardware. It's not rational to even complain about that.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

3 minutes ago, Chris Pratt said:

No. It's already a 7 year old chip, and it'll be a decade old by the time Windows 10 goes EOL. No one supports decade old hardware. It's not rational to even complain about that.

crazy its considered outdated. my mobo doesnt support an upgrade to 8th gen. my cards in that range where its it. or dump 3x the cost of it to upgrade. i guess im on the w10 boat then. damn. i bet you eventually theyll come out with a hacked version to use. lol.  my mobo supports everything except. 8th gen. lol danget. actually i think theres a few i7 10000 series i could upgrade but just not worth doing. 

If you want your hardware to be supported for a long time and i mean a really long time till that cpu has become completely obselete then you are looking at linux

Then again w10 will be eol in 2025 which means unofficial support is prob gonna end around 2027 or 2028

Still use w7 and its working just fine on my c2d, most of the stuff i use still supports w7 so prob gonna expect it to be fully unsupported by 2023

2 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

If you want your hardware to be supported for a long time and i mean a really long time till that cpu has become completely obselete then you are looking at linux

Then again w10 will be eol in 2025 which means unofficial support is prob gonna end around 2027 or 2028

Still use w7 and its working just fine on my c2d, most of the stuff i use still supports w7 so prob gonna expect it to be fully unsupported by 2023

time flies. and computers are getting so expensive. compared to what they used to be aparrently. so all these new pcs will have 900 dollar cpus in them.

3 minutes ago, nelska said:

time flies. and computers are getting so expensive. compared to what they used to be aparrently. so all these new pcs will have 900 dollar cpus in them.

Well if you dont wanna upgrade then just stick with w10 and/or upgrade to linux (once w10 eol)

There are even linux distros that still support intel 486 cpus but i think the oldest stuff that linux still supports nowadays is prob cpus like the pentium 3

Since cpu gains from better architectures are stagnating quite abit i wouldnt be surprised if that thing were to last another 15 years on linux assuming that cpus 15 years later even use silicon, predicting the future is tough so its mostly just guessing

8 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Well if you dont wanna upgrade then just stick with w10 and/or upgrade to linux (once w10 eol)

There are even linux distros that still support intel 486 cpus but i think the oldest stuff that linux still supports nowadays is prob cpus like the pentium 3

Since cpu gains from better architectures are stagnating quite abit i wouldnt be surprised if that thing were to last another 15 years on linux assuming that cpus 15 years later even use silicon, predicting the future is tough so its mostly just guessing

im considering the i7's that are supported but its like the 10000 series only.  the upgrades like 300 bucks. but itll  run. 

what does W11 offer that W10 doesnt anyway. W7 or W8.1 to W10 gets DX12 support sure, I dont see anything that wiil make a significant difference to W11.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

Well I've already upgraded a load of old PCs to Windows 11 without any problems - I'm typing this is a Virtual Machine running Windows 11 on a Z800 also running Windows 11.

All on my channel.

38 minutes ago, nelska said:

i bet you eventually theyll come out with a hacked version to use. lol. 

It's already been done - not a hacked Win 11 but a hack.

3 minutes ago, Alby Tastic said:

It's already been done - not a hacked Win 11 but a hack.

this is kinda what i was asking about i just wanna see if it runs flawlessly and windows is just being lame about it lol. 

4 minutes ago, nelska said:

this is kinda what i was asking about i just wanna see if it runs flawlessly and windows is just being lame about it lol. 

Well I've been running it on about 6-8 machines, including a Core 2 Duo, with no problems at all - just to test it out.

They-re all upgraded from Windows 10 - all activated and so is Win 11 on all of them - and getting updates to Windows defender every day.

The Build I installed is Build 22000.194.

Just now, Alby Tastic said:

Well I've been running it on about 6-8 machines, including a Core 2 Duo, with no problems at all - just to test it out.

They-re all upgraded from Windows 10 - all activated and so is Win 11 on all of them - and getting updates to Windows defender every day.

The Build I installed is Build 22000.194.

ive removed windows defender or at least turned it off. with gpedit.msc but it doesnt work so i have a program that does it with a click. takes up ram. 

I'm running it on a 6700HQ, installed without any issues and didn't yet all me about my CPU at any point during the install process. I've got my fTPM enabled and Secureboot is disabled (have a dual-boot setup with Zorin, which is my main OS, as I'm not really a computer game, hence me going with a ThinkPad).

12 hours ago, nelska said:

It's a gen backwards and would run perfectly fine but its been banned by the elitists. Anyone know if itll ever be supported? my pc is good to go to update elsewise. 

You should be able to upgrade without MS support to Win11 if you want. You just need TPM 2.0 enabled (look for Intel PTT or fTPM in your UEFI)

3 hours ago, linkboy said:

I'm running it on a 6700HQ, installed without any issues and didn't yet all me about my CPU at any point during the install process. I've got my fTPM enabled and Secureboot is disabled (have a dual-boot setup with Zorin, which is my main OS, as I'm not really a computer game, hence me going with a ThinkPad).

Yup you only need SecureBoot, it doesn't need to be actually enabled, when I tested this a few months ago (mind you, it was under Insider builds). OEM have to enable it by default (typically always was in any case).

This is absolutely a bad move by Microsoft, forcing users to upgrade millions of laptops just for an IOS change.  I have a MSI Dominator Pro I bought only 4 years ago and is working perfectly fine. Problem now is the update to Windows 11 and it's being chopped simply because of the processor?

CPU
    Intel Core i7 6700HQ @ 2.60GHz    42 °C
    Skylake 14nm Technology
RAM
    32.0GB Dual-Channel Unknown @ 1063MHz (15-15-15-36)
Motherboard
    Micro-Star International Co. Ltd. MS-1785 (U3E1)
Graphics
    SyncMaster (1920x1080@75Hz)
    Generic PnP Monitor (1920x1080@75Hz)
    4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 (MSI)    49 °C

Storage
    238GB TOSHIBA THNSNJ256G8NY (SATA (SSD))    31 °C
    931GB Hitachi HGST HTS721010A9E630 (SATA )    39 °C
    7452GB Seagate Expansion Desk SCSI Disk Device (USB (SATA) )

You can't buy a laptop like this any more...

20 minutes ago, ptejack said:

This is absolutely a bad move by Microsoft, forcing users to upgrade millions of laptops just for an IOS change.  I have a MSI Dominator Pro I bought only 4 years ago and is working perfectly fine. Problem now is the update to Windows 11 and it's being chopped simply because of the processor?

CPU
    Skylake 14nm Technology
RAM
Motherboard
Graphics

Storage

Windows 10 is supported until end of 2025.

You can upgrade to Windows 11, but Microsoft says that you are on your own, like unsupported CPUs under Windows 10.

2 hours ago, ptejack said:

CPU
    Skylake 14nm Technology
RAM
Motherboard
Graphics

Storage

This whole thing is completely ridiculous, I have an expensive XPS laptop from 2017.  It's 4 years old and I can't run the most up to date OS when the base specs are extremely low?

I have Windows 10 running on 2005 processors without significant issues, that updated automatically from Vista to 7 to 10.

They just can't create two consecutive Windows that function well, can they?

If i'm forced to upgrade, I'll buy a Macbook out of spite.  At least my SIL's 2013 Macbook has the latest OS.

6 hours ago, AcrobatKitty said:

This whole thing is completely ridiculous, I have an expensive XPS laptop from 2017.  It's 4 years old and I can't run the most up to date OS when the base specs are extremely low?

I have Windows 10 running on 2005 processors without significant issues, that updated automatically from Vista to 7 to 10.

If i'm forced to upgrade, I'll buy a Macbook out of spite.  At least my SIL's 2013 Macbook has the latest OS.

whats insane is the min processor speed is 1ghz my i7 6700 is like 3.8ghz but doesnt matter doesnt count lol. its too sharp or something for it. 

8 hours ago, AcrobatKitty said:

Exactly, however switching to a MAC, that's a bit extreme and I would never go there.

I had an old Toshiba (x86) based laptop that originally was loaded with Windows 3.1.  I ran that machine upgrading through the various windows versions up to Windows 8.1 without problems and it did accept the upgrade to Win10, however, I had to back it out because it was just way too slow.

My MSI machine came loaded with Windows 10. 4 years later I can't update to a new IOS?  On top of this, I've check BIOS on this machine and confirmed that TPM2.0 is enabled and even still the Windows PC Health Checker reports that TPM can't be found.  ARG!!!!  

Well at least as GoodBytes points out, Windows 10 will be supported up to EOL in Oct 2025. 

However, the question then becomes, how is this machine going to react with the other 2 machines that are going to be on the same network and updated to Windows 11?  Most of us saw the nonsense that happened between Windows7 and 8/8.1. Is this going to be a repeat of that fiasco?  

• 1 month later...

This is completely silly nonsense. Just make a USB installation file and install windows 11, that's it. Everything is working normally and no problems have arisen. And yes, the processor is the I7 6700HQ.

On 10/5/2021 at 1:00 AM, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Yes. Given this, I would also consider using Linux on the computer. Your hardware simply just lasts longer. That's Linux's strong suit.

On 10/5/2021 at 1:07 AM, nelska said:

im considering the i7's that are supported but its like the 10000 series only.  the upgrades like 300 bucks. but itll  run. 

But if you don't want to spend the money just to use 11, I'd consider using Linux instead if I were you.

On 10/5/2021 at 12:05 AM, nelska said:

Since Windows 11 is now RTM, chances are Microsoft is going to keep the strict hardware requirements currently in place. However, if you want to install Windows 11 on your PC, it is easy to bypass the restrictions.

Performance wise, you will likely see no benefit, unless you have hardware that can take advantage of Direct Storage.

So it all comes down to, if you want to use Windows 11 for the new look / GUI, round corners, polished Settings App, etc., or not. -- Cheers!