Xbox controller detected by windows but not by games

JZStudios

I've tried restarting and different usb ports. The only thing I could think to check it with is PCSX2's lilypad plugin. It seems to be registering as a DX Controller (Whatever that is) and not the xinput it's supposed to be. Was working a few days ago, not sure what changed.

#Muricaparrotgang

Does the controller have a switch that changes it between direct input and xinput?

Some third party controllers do have a switch that changes it between direct input and xinput for compatibility with some games that don't have support for xinput controllers, but if that isn't the case (if it's an official xbox controller or a officially licensed wired controller) then it's more then likely a hardware fault inside the controller.

24 minutes ago, demonix00 said:

Does the controller have a switch that changes it between direct input and xinput?

Some third party controllers do have a switch that changes it between direct input and xinput for compatibility with some games that don't have support for xinput controllers, but if that isn't the case (if it's an official xbox controller or a officially licensed wired controller) then it's more then likely a hardware fault inside the controller.

No, it's an xbox controller. How would a hardware fault make the controller detected and functional by windows but not by games?

#Muricaparrotgang

22 hours ago, JZStudios said:

No, it's an xbox controller. How would a hardware fault make the controller detected and functional by windows but not by games?

Because the games would be looking for an xinput device and not a direct input device (from experience of using wired PS3/4 controllers which are detected as direct input devices and have never worked in most games without a third party program in the middle).

19 hours ago, demonix00 said:

Because the games would be looking for an xinput device and not a direct input device (from experience of using wired PS3/4 controllers which are detected as direct input devices and have never worked in most games without a third party program in the middle).

That doesn't make sense. Why would a hardware fault change how it's detected and not just not detected at all?

#Muricaparrotgang

5 hours ago, JZStudios said:

That doesn't make sense. Why would a hardware fault change how it's detected and not just not detected at all?

If the hardware had failed it wouldn't be detected, but then a fault could do the same unless the fault only affected how the controller was identified so logic would dictate that either something has malfunctioned or the controllers firmware has become corrupt.

Does the xbox accessories app detect the controller?

If it does, there might be a chance that if the issue is firmware based and a reflash might fix it but it is likely that the fault can't be repaired and you'll either have to buy a new controller or use software to get around the not being detected by games issue.

5 hours ago, demonix00 said:

If the hardware had failed it wouldn't be detected, but then a fault could do the same unless the fault only affected how the controller was identified so logic would dictate that either something has malfunctioned or the controllers firmware has become corrupt.

Does the xbox accessories app detect the controller?

If it does, there might be a chance that if the issue is firmware based and a reflash might fix it but it is likely that the fault can't be repaired and you'll either have to buy a new controller or use software to get around the not being detected by games issue.

I don't have that app. Would it be any different to any other game or program? Maybe I could borrow a buddy's controller and see if it works. I have a DS4 that seems to work properly. If my buddy's works it might just be time to get a new one. It's old and the sticks are all worn down anyways.

#Muricaparrotgang