Help on psu for 3800xt + 6900xt

grat_master

I think I need a new PSU since my Silverstone Strider 850 silver is making some weird coil whine noises when I play demanding games... but I can't make my mind on which one I should buy. I am in Canada, so the prices are going to be in maple syrup dollars + taxes (15% here). All psu are 850w, unless I truly need 1000w?

Adata xpg core reactor -> 150$

Be quiet! straight power 11 -> 170$

Bitfenix whisper m -> 180$

Corsair RMx 2018 -> 160$

Fractal Design Ion Gold -> 165$

MSI mpg A-GF -> 140$

Seasonic focus-px -> 150$ (I have this one on order, but will not be here before 2 weeks still)

Out of those, only MSI has RMA center in Canada and they *look* to give a good customer service, also cheapest option and still 10 year warranty. All others except ADATA are on par with above average customer service and USA based RMA center. ADATA looks to be the worst to deal with.

Can someone help me decide?

Thanks

For that combination of CPU/GPU I don't recommand a multirail PSU (except switchable ones like the Corsair HX/HXi) and Seasonic (because of issues with high-end GPUs). From your shortlist I recommand the Core Reactor and RMx. ION Gold is to expensive for the quality you get. There's no ION+ Platinum or Super Flower Leadex III available?

6 hours ago, --SID-- said:

For that combination of CPU/GPU I don't recommand a multirail PSU (except switchable ones like the Corsair HX/HXi) and Seasonic (because of issues with high-end GPUs). From your shortlist I recommand the Core Reactor and RMx. ION Gold is to expensive for the quality you get. There's no ION+ Platinum or Super Flower Leadex III available?

There is 

Ion+ -> 183$

Gf1 argb -> 208$

And then all other hx platinum or equivalent ultra high end psu are mostly available at 225$ + shipping or more.

I am not interested in super flower. 

Man it's such a nightmare trying to buy a new psu... 

Edit : maybe I just get a 2018 RMx and call it a day. Good customer service, 10 year warranty, tier A gold, good price, fast shipping. 

1 minute ago, --SID-- said:

Corsair RMx

XPG Core Reactor

Super Flower Leadex III

Fractal Design ION+

Thermaltake GF1

Perfect, so I guess I buy the one I like the most between these 5. 

Thanks 

Rm850x 2018 is 160$

Rm850x 2021 is 180$

XPG Core Reactor is 150$

Which one I get? 

Thanks

3 minutes ago, --SID-- said:

The one you like the most you said!

I can't make my mind 😞

Please help? Haha

8 minutes ago, IIIIIIIIII said:

The RM850x(2018) is really, really quiet. Cable caps are a drawback.

The Core Reactor is relatively small.

Why is it a drawback? I have a Silverstone 850 silver from 2012 or something with huge cable caps and it's not that bad. 

My case is a cooler master haf xb, if this changes anything. 

4 minutes ago, grat_master said:

Why is it a drawback? I have a Silverstone 850 silver from 2012 or something with huge cable caps and it's not that bad. 

It's too inconvenient for some people 😛

Then pick the RMx.

Well I picked up the xpg finally for a couple of reasons 

- cheaper by 12$

- faster delivery : Friday instead of Tuesday for rmx

- cables are better : no caps (I don't mind but it's easier to deal with, so why not) and gauge 16 vs 18 for rmx

- maybe noisier but I can't hear from right ear and my computer is on my right so I don't think this will have any impact

Thank you both for helping me out.

Edit : also included in cable bundle are 4 * pcie cables, including 2 that are single, which is way better than dealing with doubled pcie cables when not connected.

Finally it came down to cables. I should have just checked those from the beginning!