Dell Inspiron 5559, Half Screen not working

John204

Hello,

I have a Dell Inspiron 5559 and half the screen either has colored bars, becomes fully white or fully black depending on the strain near the left side of the lower center of the monitor. I've taken it apart and re-secured the ribbon hoping to fix this issue but I believe that it is due to the capacitor or cable under the plastic that covers the monitor components (after removing the monitor from the laptop). I can fix this after I turn on the laptop and place a little pressure near the area for which it would remain working until I adjust the laptop. I would like to avoid replacing the screen as this is a old laptop, I'm a broke student who never uses the laptop other than during class in university and the battery life (on the new battery I recently purchased) lasts about 6 hours but with a new screen that is being sold by third parties, the battery life would reduce as they only sell 1920x1080 and not a 1366x768 screen. Also, the laptop is out of warranty. Does anyone have this issue and they had figured out some sort of DIY fix such that there is more pressure placed near that area or could offer some guidance as to how it could be fixed as I do not know what is under that plastic cover and would like to avoid removing it until it gets bad enough that I need to replace it.

Thank you 🙂

7 minutes ago, John204 said:

Hello,

I have a Dell Inspiron 5559 and half the screen either has colored bars, becomes fully white or fully black depending on the strain near the left side of the lower center of the monitor. I've taken it apart and re-secured the ribbon hoping to fix this issue but I believe that it is due to the capacitor or cable under the plastic that covers the monitor components (after removing the monitor from the laptop). I can fix this after I turn on the laptop and place a little pressure near the area for which it would remain working until I adjust the laptop. I would like to avoid replacing the screen as this is a old laptop, I'm a broke student who never uses the laptop other than during class in university and the battery life (on the new battery I recently purchased) lasts about 6 hours but with a new screen that is being sold by third parties, the battery life would reduce as they only sell 1920x1080 and not a 1366x768 screen. Also, the laptop is out of warranty. Does anyone have this issue and they had figured out some sort of DIY fix such that there is more pressure placed near that area or could offer some guidance as to how it could be fixed as I do not know what is under that plastic cover and would like to avoid removing it until it gets bad enough that I need to replace it.

Thank you 🙂

It's likely just a loose connection with the cable if applying pressure "fixes it". But in order to do that, you would need to take the plastic cover out, reseat the cable and maybe even apply some tape to keep things in place. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580