be quiet! System Power 9 vs... System Power U9

TukangUsapEmenq

I'm just curious. On my marketplace here, sometimes here got mixed up with both System Power 9 and U9.

What's the difference between two of them? One of them is better than the other one, or what? Or just different naming?

Thanks in advance.

Humor me, as you should do.

Daily drivers, below.

Diccbudd PC

Intel Xeon E3-1225 v2 || ASRock B75M Motherboard || MSI GeForce GTX 1650 Gaming X 4G || Hynix 2x8 GB DDR3 1600 MHz RAM || 480 GB Pioneer APS-SL3 SATA SSD // 1 TB Seagate 2.5" HDD || be quiet! System Power 9 500 W PSU || Cooler Master T20 CPU Cooler || Samsung S19D300 Monitor || Fantech X6 Knight Mouse || VortexSeries VX7 Pro Keyboard

Samsung Galaxy A34 5G

8GB RAM, 256GB Internal Storage, 128GB SanDisk Extreme, and you could find the rest of the specs on the interwebz lol

Lenovo ThinkPad L390 Yoga

Intel Core i5-8365U || 8 + 16 GB DDR4 (don't ask, gf bought me the 16 GB RAM as my birthday present lol) || Samsung 256GB SSD

Personal Server: CasaOS, Home Assistant, ESPHome, Jellyfin.

AMD E-350 || 3GB DDR3 || 120GB random SSD || 1TB Toshiba HDD

Audio

Redmi TV Soundbar || KZ EDX Ultra + KZ APTX Bluetooth Module || JCALLY JM6 CX31933 DAC

1 minute ago, Pixelfie said:

U9 is for outside of Europe, 9 is for in Europe

Good to know if it's not different. Thanks!

Daily drivers, below.

Diccbudd PC

Intel Xeon E3-1225 v2 || ASRock B75M Motherboard || MSI GeForce GTX 1650 Gaming X 4G || Hynix 2x8 GB DDR3 1600 MHz RAM || 480 GB Pioneer APS-SL3 SATA SSD // 1 TB Seagate 2.5" HDD || be quiet! System Power 9 500 W PSU || Cooler Master T20 CPU Cooler || Samsung S19D300 Monitor || Fantech X6 Knight Mouse || VortexSeries VX7 Pro Keyboard

Samsung Galaxy A34 5G

8GB RAM, 256GB Internal Storage, 128GB SanDisk Extreme, and you could find the rest of the specs on the interwebz lol

Intel Core i5-8365U || 8 + 16 GB DDR4 (don't ask, gf bought me the 16 GB RAM as my birthday present lol) || Samsung 256GB SSD

Audio

Redmi TV Soundbar || KZ EDX Ultra + KZ APTX Bluetooth Module || JCALLY JM6 CX31933 DAC

11 hours ago, Pixelfie said:

U9 is for outside of Europe, 9 is for in Europe

This was marked the best answer???

This is the best answer:

1 hour ago, Juular said:

They are completely different. U9 is better, at least because it's full-range.

6 hours ago, Juular said:

They are completely different. U9 is better, at least because it's full-range.

Honestly haven't found much of the review of the 9, Tom's Hardware only got the U9. Lemme know, in a nutshell, the difference is?

Owned the 500W 9 instead of the U9 here (looked onto the PSU Tier List, at least it's fairly enough on C tier for my budget system), welp, it's kind of cheaper (budget constraints, the difference of the price can cost me one stick of 4 GB of RAM) on the marketplace but nyeh at least it's a lotta quality (even convinced my father that's the "kind-of-Makita" of tools lol) and heavier than the PSU that comes with the old PC.

Fyi the spec's on my signature.

4 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

This was marked the best answer???

This is the best answer:

In fairness, he answered first and.. I probably, bluntly, just trusted the info from a promotional video. Got it fixed until I got the real best answer.

Daily drivers, below.

Diccbudd PC

Samsung Galaxy A34 5G

Audio

4 minutes ago, dhannemon13 said:

Honestly haven't found much of the review of the 9, Tom's Hardware only got the U9. Lemme know, in a nutshell, the difference is?

So, the most obvious difference is the 9 is 230V only vs. the U9.  What that means is that beQuiet can use front end components that are half the capacity, and therefore cheaper, of the full range U9. Typically a 230V only PSU is only an issue if your mains drop below nominal voltage often.  The PSU will typically shut off, but too many consecutive drops in voltage can cause the unit to fail completely.

Other than this, the two are completely different platforms and not just the same platform with one having a cheaper front end than the other. In fact, they're even from two different OEMs!  Even the +12V rectification is different.

Honestly, unless you're powering an office computer printing out flyers for the church, you probably shouldn't be looking at any System Power PSUs.

2 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

So, the most obvious difference is the 9 is 230V only vs. the U9.  What that means is that beQuiet can use front end components that are half the capacity, and therefore cheaper, of the full range U9. Typically a 230V only PSU is only an issue if your mains drop below nominal voltage often.  The PSU will typically shut off, but too many consecutive drops in voltage can cause the unit to fail completely.

Other than this, the two are completely different platforms and not just the same platform with one having a cheaper front end than the other. In fact, they're even from two different OEMs!  Even the +12V rectification is different.

Good to know. Country's normal nominal voltage here is 220V 50 Hz, and I put all of my electronics behind a stabilizer to make sure they don't drop too deep. Is it enough to... At least to prevent any further damage before I realize any of the drops (could've noticeable from the sound of the stabilizer) it and turn off the pc? 

Honestly, unless you're powering an office computer printing out flyers for the church, you probably shouldn't be looking at any System Power PSUs.

Well, I'd totally get the U9 if I know about it, and unfortunately I think it's a lot better choice than Corsair VS/CV, CM Elite, or else. (no CX-non modular anymore unfortunately, only the modular ones and it's too darn expensive), and still good enough on my wallet.

Wouldn't have to lend money that I couldn't return (fast enough) either.

Daily drivers, below.

Diccbudd PC

Samsung Galaxy A34 5G

Audio

@Juular @jonnyGURUI've noticed that Gospower Cooler Master 230V-only models have their rated input voltage as 200-240V

Is that the usual case for cut-down supplies that aren't full range, or is this something specific Gospower improved ?

P.S. I checked the pages for System Power 9, it's also 200-240v, so I'm guessing it's the regular input for non-full range :xD

6 minutes ago, Dogzilla07 said:

@Juular @jonnyGURUI've noticed that Gospower Cooler Master 230V-only models have their rated input voltage as 200-240V

Is that the usual case for cut-down supplies that aren't full range, or is this something specific Gospower improved ?

P.S. I checked the pages for System Power 9, it's also 200-240v, so I'm guessing it's the regular input for non-full range :xD

Both 230V and free volt MWE V2 White/Bronze are present.

6 minutes ago, Dogzilla07 said:

It is, but some may be 170-240 or smth.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply