Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

8.1 GB RAM out of 16GB showing as Hardware reserved

So im running two different RAMs with different timings in my PC. one is 3000mhz and has timings 16-20-20-38 and other is 3200mhz and has timings 15-15-15-36. whenever i get out of the bios, i get 3 beeps twice and then a single beep and my pc boots up. in Task manager my Memory is showing 8.1GB as System reserved. what can i do to get rid of that ? do i necessarily have to get exactly similar RAM ?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, you have to get the same exact RAM. 

Is it plugged in? Is it turned on? Are you sure? No, really. 

List of my systems:

Main PC:

Spoiler

HP z620 workstation, 2x Xeon e5-2690 v0, GTX 980 FE, 8x4gb DDR3-1333, 2x 2tb HDD, 1tb boot SATA SSD, Windows 10 Pro

Linux system:

Spoiler

ProDesk 600 g1 SFF, i5-4590, Quadro k620, 2x4gb DDR3-1333, 64gb boot SSD, 250gb storage HDD from the ewaste pile with many bad sectors, Ubuntu 20.04 LTS

XP system:

Spoiler

Compaq DC7600 SFF, Pentium 4 HT 631, MSI GT 210 passive, 2x512m DDR2-667, 80gb Spinmaster HDD

Testbench:

Spoiler

Optiplex 760 board, GameMax VP-600 PSU, 4x 64gb AliExpress SSD (Windows XP, Vista, 7, 10), 1tb HDD (storage)

(currently has a Core 2 Quad Q9550 and 4x2gb DDR2-800 but I change its config frequently)

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Mel0nMan said:

Yes, you have to get the same exact RAM. 

 

No you don't. It will all run at the speed/timings of the slower module, but they don't need to be identical.

 

@Jaasskk consult your motherboard manual to make sure you have the two (I am presuming it's two) sticks in the correct slots. Remove and reseat them in the slots. 

Friends don't let friends use Userbenchmark. Ban the term "bottleneck." Corps aren't your friends. If the PC does what you need it to do well enough, it's good enough. Don't build the "best" system, build the system that makes you happy. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Jaasskk said:

So im running two different RAMs with different timings in my PC. one is 3000mhz and has timings 16-20-20-38 and other is 3200mhz and has timings 15-15-15-36. whenever i get out of the bios, i get 3 beeps twice and then a single beep and my pc boots up. in Task manager my Memory is showing 8.1GB as System reserved. what can i do to get rid of that ? do i necessarily have to get exactly similar RAM ?

 

Best thing to try is manually set everything to the lower of the 2 speeds in UEFI, so go in and force your ram to run at 3000 16-20-20-38, you'll lose a tiny bit of performance from downclocking the faster pair very slightly but it should work fine.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

 

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Middcore said:

 

No you don't. It will all run at the speed/timings of the slower module, but they don't need to be identical.

 

@Jaasskk consult your motherboard manual to make sure you have the two (I am presuming it's two) sticks in the correct slots. Remove and reseat them in the slots. 

I know mixing speeds is mostly fine, but I've had mixed success with mixing timings. 

Is it plugged in? Is it turned on? Are you sure? No, really. 

List of my systems:

Main PC:

Spoiler

HP z620 workstation, 2x Xeon e5-2690 v0, GTX 980 FE, 8x4gb DDR3-1333, 2x 2tb HDD, 1tb boot SATA SSD, Windows 10 Pro

Linux system:

Spoiler

ProDesk 600 g1 SFF, i5-4590, Quadro k620, 2x4gb DDR3-1333, 64gb boot SSD, 250gb storage HDD from the ewaste pile with many bad sectors, Ubuntu 20.04 LTS

XP system:

Spoiler

Compaq DC7600 SFF, Pentium 4 HT 631, MSI GT 210 passive, 2x512m DDR2-667, 80gb Spinmaster HDD

Testbench:

Spoiler

Optiplex 760 board, GameMax VP-600 PSU, 4x 64gb AliExpress SSD (Windows XP, Vista, 7, 10), 1tb HDD (storage)

(currently has a Core 2 Quad Q9550 and 4x2gb DDR2-800 but I change its config frequently)

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Middcore said:

 

No you don't. It will all run at the speed/timings of the slower module, but they don't need to be identical.

 

@Jaasskk consult your motherboard manual to make sure you have the two (I am presuming it's two) sticks in the correct slots. Remove and reseat them in the slots. 

Yeah i tried that... its actually running at the speeds of the faster module... do i need to manually change that ?

i tried removing and reseating them and i did check they are in the correct slots

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Master Disaster said:

Best thing to try is manually set everything to the lower of the 2 speeds in UEFI, so go in and force your ram to run at 3000 16-20-20-38, you'll lose a tiny bit of performance from downclocking the faster pair very slightly but it should work fine.

i just tried that but it just beep 3 times, power cycles , does this 2 times more and then just boots up, and in CPU Z i see the timings of the Higher RAM 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Specs?

 

Often if your system has an iGPU that will take some of the RAM, but 8gb is much for that. If it has an iGPU and also a GPU disable the iGPU in BIOS

Quote or tag me so I get notified 🙂 Also mark my post as answer if it answered your question!

 

GPU MSI Gaming X RX 5500 XT 8gb | CPU Intel Core i5-10400F | Motherboard ASRock B460M Pro4 | Memory HyperX Fury RGB 2x8gb 3200 CL16 | Storage Crucial MX500 500gb (Windows + some games), Crucial BX500 120gb (ZorinOS), Seagate Barracuda Compute 2tb (storage) | PSU Corsair RM650x (2018) | CPU cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212 RGB Black Edition | Monitor AOC C24G2 | Mouse Logitech G703 Hero | Keyboard Drevo Seer Max (Gateron Brown) | Headset Steelseries Arctis 3 (2019) | Mousepad Steelseries QCK

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×