Keyboard Maintenance

I was wondering, I do some speed cubing and I have cube lube. would this be a good replacement for switch lube?

Hey there.

27 minutes ago, MichaelEntertain said:

I was wondering, I do some speed cubing and I have cube lube. would this be a good replacement for switch lube?

Ah, take the following advice with a hefty grain of salt. Lubricant composition isn't my forte.

I don't have a firm understanding of speed cube lube, but from what I gather, most seem to be silicone-based in composition. While they may not necessarily harm your keyboard's switches, they may be thicker (higher viscosity) than the greases and water-based lubricants that switch modders conventionally* use (e.g. Krytox GPL 205g0, Tribosys 3204, Krytox GPL 106, etc.).

Asterisk (*): Conventionally, because exceptions, personal preferences, and DIY mixes exist, as always.

You could attempt to thin the silicone-based lube before applying it to some sacrificial switches.

I wouldn't recommend it, however.

I'd... expect the result to end up with gummy switches. 😅

正直に生きる、一度きりの人生だから

Keeb Weeb LinksCustom Mechanical Keyboards | #KeebWeebClub

'Chew Builds: Hoshī (PC) | Okashī (PC) | K-4398 (Keeb) | Eighty #391 (Keeb) | R2-968 (Keeb) | MGK64 (Keeb)

On 9/23/2021 at 7:20 PM, seon123 said:

Are you looking to do keyboard maintenance, or to lube your switches?

both.

On 9/23/2021 at 7:19 PM, Eschew said:

Hey there.

Ah, take the following advice with a hefty grain of salt. Lubricant composition isn't my forte.

I don't have a firm understanding of speed cube lube, but from what I gather, most seem to be silicone-based in composition. While they may not necessarily harm your keyboard's switches, they may be thicker (higher viscosity) than the greases and water-based lubricants that switch modders conventionally* use (e.g. Krytox GPL 205g0, Tribosys 3204, Krytox GPL 106, etc.).

Asterisk (*): Conventionally, because exceptions, personal preferences, and DIY mixes exist, as always.

You could attempt to thin the silicone-based lube before applying it to some sacrificial switches.

I wouldn't recommend it, however.

I'd... expect the result to end up with gummy switches. 😅

Ok thanks. 🙃