Sanity check - better bang for the buck?

-Arcanum-

Budget (including currency):  2200 - 2500 euro (ex. VAT)

Country: Belgium, but happy to shop from Netherlands and Germany too

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Gaming (Cyberpunk, battlefield, CIV, etc. ) and general office work + a little light photo and video editing

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

This is what I put together from a single retailer (generally reasonably competitive prices and then free shipping)

Fractal Design Torrent - white (with repair kit)
AMD Ryzen 5 5600X
Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING WI-FI 
Corsair DDR4 Vengeance LPX 2x16GB 3600C16
Noctua NH-D15 Chromax.Black
EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 ULTRA Samsung 980 PRO 500GB M.2 SSD
Crucial BX500 1TB SSD

Questions: 

1. Does this make sense?

2. Is the upgrade to a 5900X worth it? (about 190 euro more)

3. Is the upgrade to a ASUS ROG STRIX X570-E GAMING mobo worth it? (about 62 euro)

4. Should I increase to 64GB RAM? (about 110 euro)

Many thanks in advance!

1.) Yeah, it makes sense.

2.) Probably not. If you do video editing, a 5800X might make more sense, but if you need to ask whether you need a 5900X, you probably don't.

3.) Probably not. 

4.) Probably not. Ram is one of those things that more doesn't help you unless you do. If you do a lot of VM work or a lot of animation or anything else that eats a crap ton of RAM, then yeah, but again, if you need to ask if you need it, you probably don't, and you can always add it in later. 

7 minutes ago, -Arcanum- said:

1. Does this make sense?

Depends on the use case. For one monitor, not around background task then it will be fine. Multiple monitors, lots of background task? Then go with a 5800X at least. Although, if you're already spending so much on a GPU why not get a high end CPU to go with it?

8 minutes ago, -Arcanum- said:

For your current set-up yes, I think it would be worth it.

9 minutes ago, -Arcanum- said:

3. Is the upgrade to a ASUS ROG STRIX X570-E GAMING mobo worth it? (about 62 euro)

Not as much, but at that price difference, you can get multiple gen 4 NVME drives so that would be nice. Is it necessary? No, not really.

11 minutes ago, -Arcanum- said:

For most people, not really. I use 48 GB and hardly see over 12GB of use. However, if you like to run multiple programs, it might be worth it. Also, wanted to note I had 16GB and when I expanded my RAM, my ram usage also went up with the same programs. Everything became more responsive and snappier if you have ram head room. I would say go with the 32 first and if you need more, get a 2nd kit later.

13 minutes ago, -Arcanum- said:

Samsung 980 PRO 500GB M.2 SSD Crucial BX500 1TB SSD

I think it would be easier to get 1 TB Samsung 980 Pro (maybe even 2 TB), but that set up would work too. Games are pretty big now, but upgrading storage later is not too difficult.

1. Overall, decent choices, with room for improvements.
- That case is huge, if you're not buying it for the looks, cases that are a lot cheaper and a lot less bulky will still be able to do the job.
- You're better off buying 1 affordable 2TB nvme SSD, the Samsung 980 PRO is overkill for gaming.
- The motherboard is good.
- The cooler is ultra-overkill for a 5600X
- You need a power supply
- RGB RAM spices things up, with your budget I would personally go for GSkill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3600C16

2. How much are you paying for the 5600X? The 5600X is enough for 4K gaming, at lower resolutions the 5900x is better. Value will also depend on the price of the 5800X.

3. in my opinion no.

4. Unnecessary in my opinion, 32GB should be enough for any game today.

30 minutes ago, -Arcanum- said:

Budget (including currency):  2200 - 2500 euro (ex. VAT)

Country: Belgium, but happy to shop from Netherlands and Germany too

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Gaming (Cyberpunk, battlefield, CIV, etc. ) and general office work + a little light photo and video editing

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

This is what I put together from a single retailer (generally reasonably competitive prices and then free shipping)

Fractal Design Torrent - white (with repair kit)
AMD Ryzen 5 5600X
Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING WI-FI 
Corsair DDR4 Vengeance LPX 2x16GB 3600C16
Noctua NH-D15 Chromax.Black
EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 ULTRA Samsung 980 PRO 500GB M.2 SSD
Crucial BX500 1TB SSD

Questions: 

1. Does this make sense?

Many thanks in advance!

If you are going for better bang for the buck:

Replace the Memory you have for something else, as Corsair LPX is known for not reaching it's rated speed.
The 5900x for just gaming is not going to be worth it.
Noctua NH-D15 is in the same class as the Scythe Fuma 2
Samsung 980 Pro is a tad pricy, and instead of a secodary SSD you can just go with an HDD.

The Big UwU - Wise Words
1. PSU Wattage =/= PSU Quality
80+ Certification doesn't mean shit.
2. Don't cheap out on the heart of your system.

"B-b-but it was 20$ @ 800w, it was a steal!!" - An idiot with a dead PC.
3. Do not buy for brand, buy for the product.

Every company makes their fair line of garbage.

Essential Buying Guides:
PSU
CPU Cooler
SSD (Outdated)

1 hour ago, electropical said:

2. How much are you paying for the 5600X? The 5600X is enough for 4K gaming, at lower resolutions the 5900x is better. Value will also depend on the price of the 5800X.

I would be paying 232 euro for the 5600x, 322 euro for the 5800x  and 420 euro for the 5900x

and will be running triple-monitor setup

2 hours ago, Jonathan Lee said:

Then go with a 5800X at least. Although, if you're already spending so much on a GPU why not get a high end CPU to go with it?

Triple monitor setup, with some background... music/youtube while playing strategy games:

232 euro for the 5600x, 322 euro for the 5800x  and 420 euro for the 5900x, which would you go for?

33 minutes ago, -Arcanum- said:

Triple monitor setup, with some background... music/youtube while playing strategy games:

232 euro for the 5600x, 322 euro for the 5800x  and 420 euro for the 5900x, which would you go for?

5600x

The Big UwU - Wise Words

Essential Buying Guides:
PSU
CPU Cooler
SSD (Outdated)

3 hours ago, -Arcanum- said:

I lean towards 5900X just so you don't have to mess with your PC for awhile.

In terms of actually current usefulness, 5800X would be enough for your case with some buffer room for the future. I hear cyberpunk can be pretty core hungry, so that's something to consider as well.

4 hours ago, Jonathan Lee said:

I lean towards 5900X just so you don't have to mess with your PC for awhile.

In terms of actually current usefulness, 5800X would be enough for your case with some buffer room for the future. I hear cyberpunk can be pretty core hungry, so that's something to consider as well.

Playing @ 4K he will be GPU limited regardless.
CPU doesn't really matter in this situation.
5600x will be more than plenty.

The Big UwU - Wise Words

Essential Buying Guides:
PSU
CPU Cooler
SSD (Outdated)

8 hours ago, -Arcanum- said:

Sadly, I couldn't find any benchmark that tests the gaming performance of these CPUs while other programs are running in the background.

If you're only gaming (high resolution, max quality), there basically is no difference between the 5600x and the 5900x :
1949411913_cyberpunkultra.thumb.png.17800e2c9af4374967de3f4f9ced477e.png1810227986_cyberpunkmedium.thumb.png.ae536e7ac2377b3184bf434c9920c8ce.pngciv.thumb.png.8e1cabe6a19083fa705e261d6817c82e.png

Would there be any difference in performance between the 5900x and the 5600x with programs in the background? I can't quite tell.
One would have to test that, to see for example how the ASUS rgb software (Armoury crate) and other programs (web browser with youtube) impact performance.

I personally have no experience with that.

6 hours ago, electropical said:

Sadly, I couldn't find any benchmark that tests the gaming performance of these CPUs while other programs are running in the background.

Yea that's something that's not really tested. It's also hard to quantify because it's more of a personal user experience than a straight number on a chart. Also, there's really no way to get consistent numbers when there's background task running which is why I think most benchmarks avoid it. I mean how can you show "it feels smoother" without just trying 6 vs 8 vs 12 cores yourself?

1. Does this make sense? - YES, for the most part.

2. Is the upgrade to a 5900X worth it? (about 190 euro more) - YES, but only if you're going to do more than gaming.

3. Is the upgrade to a ASUS ROG STRIX X570-E GAMING mobo worth it? (about 62 euro) - YES, but only if you're upgrading to 5900X!

4. Should I increase to 64GB RAM? (about 110 euro) - ONLY if you need that much RAM for rendering and other productive tasks!

NOTES:

I would drop both the NVMe and SSD choice, Gen4 NVMe are going to come down in price soon. The BX SSD is bottom of the barrel stuff.

Personally I'd just buy 2x 1TB of WD SN550 M.2. 

Also, drop that Corsair RAM... its likely to be bottom of the barrel Hynix chips. Get a kit of Crucial Ballistix instead, its Micron e-die and easily tunable.

R3DMyST:

• CPU = AMD Ryzen 5 5600X (-0.102UV_PBOdisabled)
  • COOLER = ID-COOLING SE-224-XT RGB
  • GPU = AMD Sapphire Nitro+ 6600XT 8GB (AutoUV)
  • RAM = 2x8GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3200Mhz CL16 (1.35v@3600Mhz)
  • CHIPSET = Gigabyte B550M Aorus Pro
  • PSU = EVGA Supernova GS 650W 80+Gold (Modular)
  • CASE = Antec NX200M