Im afraid if my psu is dying

zayah

I crashed on desktop the other day, got the same blank page on deskstop what youd get on chrome if it stopped working with the circle loading icon next to your cursor restarted PC and havent crashed since. Also have started to getting coil whine from gpu or motherboard on idle (used to just get some coil whine in some games) 

I have Asus rog strix z-390 f motherboard, I9-9900k cpu, asus rog strix rtx 3080 oc model gpu. I ran this setup for like a month with no problems, but all of sudden been noticing not getting the 5V on the 5V or 3.3V or 12V like i previously always got and never before got coil whine on idle, or ever crashed before even tho Ive only had one crash. Im running everything at stock speed except XMP is on and MCE is on. Recently reinstalled windows and updated motherboard bios.

image0.jpg

Software readings aren't very useful for voltages. If you have a multimeter use that to measure voltages.

Do you have power supply cable extensions?

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

24 minutes ago, MR H. said:

Try to get one of this 

41-tAneA5kL._AC_.jpg

Or borrow a psu from a friend

I dont think they are that good, because they dont check it under any load, only the idle voltage

1 minute ago, Latvian Video said:

I dont think they are that good, because they dont check it under any load, only the idle voltage

Might be, but it's a place to start....

Checking the PSU on load would be a lot more expensive

1 minute ago, MR H. said:

Might be, but it's a place to start....

Checking the PSU on load would be a lot more expensive

To check the voltages, you can use a multimeter and just set 1 prong to ground, and the other to 12v, but many ppl are afraid that they will short something

1 hour ago, --SID-- said:

What make and model PSU?

its a Seasonic 750W FOCUS+ 750 +80 Gold bought it 2019.

2 hours ago, Spotty said:

Software readings aren't very useful for voltages. If you have a multimeter use that to measure voltages.

unfortunately dont have one 😕

2 hours ago, MR H. said:

Try to get one of this 

41-tAneA5kL._AC_.jpg

Or borrow a psu from a friend

i could try this, if my friend has some free time.

2 hours ago, zayah said:

asus rog strix rtx 3080 oc model gpu.

4 minutes ago, zayah said:

its a Seasonic 750W FOCUS+ 750 +80 Gold bought it 2019.

1 hour ago, jonnyGURU said:

¨I ran this setup for like a month with no problems¨

6 hours ago, Spotty said:

9 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

yes i have cablemods extension and ive checked that they are compatible with my psu

19 minutes ago, zayah said:

yes i have cablemods extension and ive checked that they are compatible with my psu

Are they extension cables that plug in to the end of your existing cables or are they replacement cables that plug in to the PSU?

Extension cables add extra resistance which can cause your voltages to drop, which might explain why your voltages were showing a little low in software - though software voltage readings aren't always reliable.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

55 minutes ago, zayah said:

Ok.  Get rid of them and see if your problems go away.

37 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

Ok.  Get rid of them and see if your problems go away.

again ive had no problem with running w all 3 of the 8pins for a month and unfortunately i cant try without them since my psu only came with 2x8pins which i had running with extensions on my 2080s for over a year without anyproblems. so im running 2 cable extensions and 1 8pin cable from cablemods. hmmm maybe i shud try without the extensions and just the 2 8pins from the psu and the 1 8pin cablemod cable.

1 hour ago, Spotty said:

Are they extension cables that plug in to the end of your existing cables or are they replacement cables that plug in to the PSU?

Extension cables add extra resistance which can cause your voltages to drop, which might explain why your voltages were showing a little low in software - though software voltage readings aren't always reliable.

2 of them are extensions and one is an actual 8 pin cable, but this voltage drop has happened recently within 1 week cause over 1 month of use w this setup i never had any problems. 

2 hours ago, zayah said:

again ive had no problem with running w all 3 of the 8pins for a month and unfortunately i cant try without them since my psu only came with 2x8pins which i had running with extensions on my 2080s for over a year without anyproblems. so im running 2 cable extensions and 1 8pin cable from cablemods. hmmm maybe i shud try without the extensions and just the 2 8pins from the psu and the 1 8pin cablemod cable.

Wait... hold on.... Your PSU came with 2x 8-pins?  Then what are you using the extensions on?  Are these ADAPTERS?  Not extensions?

I think you need to completely explain how you have things hooked up.

Yes... things were running for a month w/o issue, but "things" fail.  

8 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

Wait... hold on.... Your PSU came with 2x 8-pins?  Then what are you using the extensions on?  Are these ADAPTERS?  Not extensions?

im using 2 sets of cablemods extensions on those 2 8pins that came with my psu, and an additional 8pin pci-e cable from cablemods, its a cable not an adapter like i said 2 extensions for the original 2x8pins and one additional 8 pin cable by cablemods

9 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

https://cablemod.com/product/cablemod-rt-series-pro-modmesh-8-pin-pci-e-cable-for-asus-and-seasonic-600mm-white/

https://cablemod.com/product/cablemod-pro-modmesh-cable-extension-kit-white/

3 hours ago, zayah said:

im using 2 sets of cablemods extensions on those 2 8pins that came with my psu, and an additional 8pin pci-e cable from cablemods, its a cable not an adapter like i said 2 extensions for the original 2x8pins and one additional 8 pin cable by cablemods

Ok.  You were making it sound like you had adapters or splitters or something. 

Get rid of the extensions and try again. 

On 9/24/2021 at 6:00 PM, jonnyGURU said:

Thank you so much for all the help, ill try this and let you know how it goes!

On 9/24/2021 at 6:00 PM, jonnyGURU said:

So far I took the gpu out turns out the ¨coil whine¨ was coming from the pump as i disconnected it too and noticed the sound didnt occur. I knocked on the pump and plugged it back in and the sound is gone. Still no idea about the voltages.

4 hours ago, zayah said:

So far I took the gpu out turns out the ¨coil whine¨ was coming from the pump as i disconnected it too and noticed the sound didnt occur. I knocked on the pump and plugged it back in and the sound is gone. Still no idea about the voltages.

Did you take the extensions out of the equation?