PC is having a weird "half crash".

tyanu_khah

Hi,

My PC has been having weird "half crash" for a little while now.

Here's a video of it.

Some context : Those crashes first happened only in wow classic, so i thought it was a faulty addon or something. It then happened in other games, and even while sitting on the desktop. It started back in April or May iirc ?

What happens is whatever i'm doing will completely freeze (here wow got stuck when i alt tab to chrome). Chrome got "half stuck" : i couldn't switch tabs, but i had the broadcast of the olympic games in another tab that was still running (i had the sound that was perfect), and if i double click on the chrome tab that is active, the window does shrink (as you can see). Also, if i open the windows menu, i can't launch any software, and i can't launch the task manager either. If i close/force close an app, the window itself will disapear, but the icon in the task bar will stay.

I am forced to presh the restart button.

Windows log isn't very helpful : there's an error 41 and an error 6008 that are both describing an unexpected reboot, which was right when i pressed the restart button.

I performed a memtest86+ and it returned with an astonishing number of 0 errors.

I've run both crystaldisk info and benchmark on my drives : no errors and they work as intended speed-wise.

My Nvidia drivers are up to date. Windows is 20H2 with the latest KB available installed.

I've performed a full reinstall of windows 2 weeks ago after i had issues with my drives not showing up/not booting. Actually running W10 Home 20H2 64 bit.

Ram is set to the XMP profile 2.0 (had a custom overclock but i got rid of that thinking it was unstable).

Here's my current setup : https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Tyanu/saved/z3jyf7. GPU is watercooled with a kraken G12 and a single fan corsair AIO.

The frequency is quite irregular, but most of the time, it's one or 2 crash a week. But sometimes, it can happen multiple times a day.

Another crash i had yesterday was when doing some Zwift. The software froze, and instantly, character models disapeared, leaving bikes and gear (headgear, gloves) floating. 

I'm not new to pc building and troubleshooting (you're an IT technician, duh, it's your job) but this is kind of confusing. I'm having a hard time finding what's the source of those weird crash. Given the behavior, i'd guess it's GPU VRAM ? Tho i'm not sure and i can't found a way to test this to be sure. 

any help is wlecome.

PS : sorry for any mistakes, i'm a filthy snail eater.

Try testing the CPU with Prime95 with the Small FFTs option for a hour.

Tell us if you get any errors while testing.

Prime95 download page:

https://www.mersenne.org/download/

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

1 minute ago, Vishera said:

Try testing the CPU with Prime95 with the Small FFTs option for a hour.

Tell us if you get any errors while testing.

Prime95 download page:

https://www.mersenne.org/download/

Hi,

Havent tried the exact same test but i ran Ryzen Clock tuner for nearly an hour and it did not crash (RCT uses prime95 to test the CPU).

And just in case you might think it's RCT fault, i also had crash after reinstalling windows and before using clock tuner.

Just now, tyanu_khah said:

Havent tried the exact same test but i ran Ryzen Clock tuner for nearly an hour and it did not crash (RCT uses prime95 to test the CPU).

I didn't see any source to verify this.

Try  testing the CPU with Prime95 with the Small FFTs option for a hour like i said

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

4 minutes ago, Vishera said:

Try  testing the CPU with Prime95 with the Small FFTs option for a hour like i said

I'll try that when i'm back home.

Did you update bios and install chipset drivers?

In my experience random crashes like that are often caused by

Bios/chipset

PSU

hard drives

In that order pretty much.  

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

2 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

Did you update bios and install chipset drivers?

In my experience random crashes like that are often caused by

Bios/chipset

PSU

hard drives

In that order pretty much.  

I have performed the bios update regularly, and have recently updated to the latest available (4.40) when reinstalling windows a couple weeks ago.

8 minutes ago, tyanu_khah said:

I have performed the bios update regularly, and have recently updated to the latest available (4.40) when reinstalling windows a couple weeks ago.

I see, and what about chipset drivers? 

Also besides prime95 you could also try memtest64 to check the ram more thoroughly. 

I'm going to check your specs, haven't yet... 

Edit: don't see anything weird in the system specs... you could also additionally try to remove any control software for rgb, pump, etc (i think the pump would still work right?) just to make sure because this kind of software often can have weird "side effects" also.

(Personally I use corsair Link, I love it, its super lightweight,  but I tried icue, its an absolute no go... actually slows the system down due to high cpu usage, but I haven't tested it longer than 30 minutes ... it was unbearable enough lol)

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

16 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

I see, and what about chipset drivers? 

Also besides prime95 you could also try memtest64 to check the ram more thoroughly. 

I'm going to check your specs, haven't yet... 

Edit: don't see anything weird in the system specs... you could also additionally try to remove any control software for rgb, pump, etc (i think the pump would still work right?) just to make sure because this kind of software often can have weird "side effects" also.

(Personally I use corsair Link, I love it, its super lightweight,  but I tried icue, its an absolute no go... actually slows the system down due to high cpu usage, but I haven't tested it longer than 30 minutes ... it was unbearable enough lol)

as explained in the post 

2 hours ago, tyanu_khah said:

I performed a memtest86+ and it returned with an astonishing number of 0 errors

FYI, it was all tests, 4 passes in a row.

I tried to let it run after a fresh install of windows (from my memories,  had the nvidia suite installed along with the drivers, icue which is necessary for my AIO bc not recognized by corsair link, and chrome, and had a crash on desktop, so i'm quite sure it's hardware).

4 minutes ago, tyanu_khah said:

nvidia suite

GFE? That can cause issues too (albeit rarely)

5 minutes ago, tyanu_khah said:

icue which is necessary for my AIO

Are you sure? 

https://forum.corsair.com/forums/topic/152544-will-an-h115i-run-without-icue/

6 minutes ago, tyanu_khah said:

so i'm quite sure it's hardware

I mean it might be, but imo its best to rule out software issues before starting to change out hw, which would probably be the next step.

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

9 hours ago, Vishera said:

ok, so i ran prime 95 with the settings you asked for an hour :

Please find a screenshot of prime 95 after an hour and also a log file from HWinfo during said hour.

EDIT : i just went through all the results of prime 95 and 2 workers where outputting an error. Looks like a bad underclock am i right ?

prime 95 screenshot.png

293794465_prime95test.CSV

7 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

I mean it cant work with corsair link (which i would use if it was working) and also , i have custom profiles for cooling and mouse config (which is also corsair)  depending on game launching. And that cant work if iCUE isnt on.

UPDATE : removed ryzen clock tuner, and reset the bios (i only put XMP profile back after, touched no other settings).

I re run a prime 95 test and no warning or errors.

Now i have to wait and see if it's crashing again ...

HWinfo after reset.png

prime 95 after reset.png