Memory :16GB Corsair Vengeance Lpx 2x8 DDR4-3000 mhz
Storage/Cache :500+250GB Samsung 850 Evo/1TB + 2(2)TB Seagate Hdd
GPU :MSI GTX 1050TI 4G OC
Case :Corsair Carbide SPEC-04 Mid Tower
PSU :Corsair CX 650M 80+ Bronze
Mouse :Logitech G304 (1.8 sens 1800dpi)
Keyboard :Cooler Master CK550 Gateron Browns
Monitor :Acer VG271U 1440p 144Hz

I got my psu (CX650M) replaced under warranty a couple of months back because it would not power on. Now its been around 5-6 months and my pc struggles to power on. I tried replacing the cmos battery and even took my motherboard for testing to the service center. The Asrock service center said it was working alright.

The PSU refuses to power the pc on when I press the power button, it will take around 15 mins or so before it works and the system powers on. Clearing the cmos does not help, it will not come on. 

Is it the psu that has kicked the bucket or maybe something else?

Edit: I forgot to add, once the power supply is on it will run the pc for the entire day without any shutdown or bluescreens.

Edit 2: My motherboard is fine, there was no problem with it. The solution to the problem was to clean out the motherboard with 99% IPA. It has works flawlessly now.

PSX_20190328_102318.jpg

I built my pc in 2018, specs are as follows 

CPU :i5 8600k @4.8 GHz 1.30 Vcore
CPU Heatsink :NHU12S w/ Noctua NT-H1
Motherboard :ASRock Z370 Pro4
Memory :16GB Corsair Vengeance Lpx 2x8 DDR4-3000 mhz
Storage/Cache :500+250GB Samsung 850 Evo/1TB + 2(2)TB Seagate Hdd
GPU :MSI GTX 1050TI 4G OC
Case :Corsair Carbide SPEC-04 Mid Tower
PSU :Corsair CX 650M 80+ Bronze
Mouse :Logitech G304 (1.8 sens 1800dpi)
Keyboard :Cooler Master CK550 Gateron Browns
Monitor :Acer VG271U 1440p 144Hz

I got my psu (CX650M) replaced under warranty a couple of months back because it would not power on. Now its been around 5-6 months and my pc struggles to power on. I tried replacing the cmos battery and even took my motherboard for testing to the service center. The Asrock service center said it was working alright.

The PSU refuses to power the pc on when I press the power button, it will take around 15 mins or so before it works and the system powers on. Clearing the cmos does not help, it will not come on. 

Is it the psu that has kicked the bucket or maybe something else?

Edit: I forgot to add, once the power supply is on it will run the pc for the entire day without any shutdown or bluescreens.

Edit 2: My motherboard is fine, there was no problem with it. The solution to the problem was to clean out the motherboard with 99% IPA. It has works flawlessly now.

PSX_20190328_102318.jpg

Edited by PerhapsJames
Problem Solved

Either replace it again under warranty, connect it to a different wall plug to see if this isn't it, replace a cable or replace that PSU entirely.

I'd say replace the PSU, it's not a quality one...

Security Analyst & Tech Enthusiast

Ask me anything.

Best way to know for sure is to switch components, starting with the PSU. Go with a different brand and higher wattage maybe. If it persists, which is unlikely, you may have to unplug drives and/or GPU. My money is on the PSU, though. Good luck.

Salisbury steak isn't steak.

How are you shutting down the PC? Sleep? Shut down? Pressing the power button? Flipping the switch on the PSU?

What exactly happens when you push the power button on the case to turn it on? Absolutely nothing? Turns on then turns off? Turns on but gets stuck and won't POST?

Just now, StareX said:

CX650M is fine for an 8600k and GTX1050ti

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Just now, Spotty said:

How are you shutting down the PC? Sleep? Shut down? Pressing the power button? Flipping the switch on the PSU?

What exactly happens when you push the power button on the case to turn it on? Absolutely nothing? Turns on then turns off? Turns on but gets stuck and won't POST?

CX650M is fine for an 8600k and GTX1050ti

I shut it down via windows. To turn it on I use the power button on the case. When I push the power button nothing happens, no fan spin or anything. I forgot to mention that once it powers on it works for the entire day without any random shutdowns.

4 minutes ago, StareX said:

Either replace it again under warranty, connect it to a different wall plug to see if this isn't it, replace a cable or replace that PSU entirely.

I can't get it replaced again, the dude in the rma center said that it can only be replaced once under warranty. I'll have to get a new unit

1 minute ago, PerhapsJames said:

I shut it down via windows. To turn it on I use the power button on the case. When I push the power button nothing happens, no fan spin or anything. I forgot to mention that once it powers on it works for the entire day without any random shutdowns.

If you shut it down and it does not boot up, have you tried jumping the pins on the motherboard to see if it will boot? Just take a screwdriver and touch the 2 pins the power button on your case mounts to and it should fire right up. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

5 minutes ago, Darkwing Drex said:

Best way to know for sure is to switch components, starting with the PSU. Go with a different brand and higher wattage maybe. If it persists, which is unlikely, you may have to unplug drives and/or GPU. My money is on the PSU, though. Good luck.

I did remove the entire motherboard and test it with just the cpu, single stick of ram and just the 8 pin cpu and 20+4 pin power connected. It didn't work that way either

1 minute ago, Skiiwee29 said:

If you shut it down and it does not boot up, have you tried jumping the pins on the motherboard to see if it will boot? Just take a screwdriver and touch the 2 pins the power button on your case mounts to and it should fire right up. 

Yea, I jumped the pins on the motherboard but it still didn't do much

Go with an entirely different PSU. Different brand. Different wattage if possible. If it continues to not boot, you can rule out the PSU and move on to your components (GPU, RAM, drives, etc).

Salisbury steak isn't steak.

1 minute ago, Darkwing Drex said:

Go with an entirely different PSU. Different brand. Different wattage if possible. If it continues to not boot, you can rule out the PSU and move on to your components (GPU, RAM, drives, etc).

Yea I'm looking at getting a Silverstone 1000 watt unit, the extra sata plugs will good for adding extra hard drives.

4 minutes ago, PerhapsJames said:

It sounds like it's a power good signal timing issue with the motherboard. For a simple explanation when you turn a computer on the motherboard sends a signal to the PSU to switch on (PS_ON) then the PSU sends a signal back ("Power Good") to the motherboard saying that it is operational and voltages are good and only when it receives that power good signal does the motherboard start the system. The motherboard might not be waiting long enough for the power good signal and is aborting the startup process thinking there's a fault for not receiving the power good signal.

Try updating the motherboard BIOS to the most recent version to see if that helps.

It's also entirely possible that the motherboard won't have the problem with some other power supplies (even the same model PSU) as they might be quicker at sending the power good signal, which could be why AsRock didn't experience issues with the board when they tested it. Since you already had problems with the system not turning on with a different power supply it's likely an issue with the motherboard.

2 minutes ago, PerhapsJames said:

Yea I'm looking at getting a Silverstone 1000 watt unit, the extra sata plugs will good for adding extra hard drives.

You don't need a 1000W power supply for a system that draws 250W.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

7 minutes ago, Spotty said:

It sounds like it's a power good signal timing issue with the motherboard. For a simple explanation when you turn a computer on the motherboard sends a signal to the PSU to switch on (PS_ON) then the PSU sends a signal back ("Power Good") to the motherboard saying that it is operational and voltages are good and only when it receives that power good signal does the motherboard start the system. The motherboard might not be waiting long enough for the power good signal and is aborting the startup process thinking there's a fault for not receiving the power good signal.

Try updating the motherboard BIOS to the most recent version to see if that helps.

It's also entirely possible that the motherboard won't have the problem with some other power supplies (even the same model PSU) as they might be quicker at sending the power good signal, which could be why AsRock didn't experience issues with the board when they tested it. Since you already had problems with the system not turning on with a different power supply it's likely an issue with the motherboard.

You don't need a 1000W power supply for a system that draws 250W.

So I'll have to check around for a new Z370 board then 😕

3 hours ago, PerhapsJames said:

So I'll have to check around for a new Z370 board then 😕

If you have access to another PSU you can test with then try testing with that first, or if you have another computer you can test the PSU in do that.