Samsung 980 1TB SSD sloooow speed!!!

MohammadG95
Go to solution Solved by Kilrah,

That system only supports PCIe 2.0 x2 to the m.2, so it'll be 4x slower than the standard PCIe 3.0 x4.

4th gen is basically when m.2 was first indroduced and there were essentially no drives available to use it with you could buy.

EDIT:

Thanks to members, i found that outdated Mainboard, made a huge bottleneck and cause this performance problem.

Thanks all.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello everyone,

Today i purchased Samsung 980 1TB drive for increased performance and storage space, nevertheless i faced something weird!!! Benchmark results are way slower from advertised speed, ~800MB/s write/ read speed as show in screenshots below, also double checked if connected properly to the slot.

any recommendation or something from you guys?

Double checked if connected correctly to the slot.

outdated hardware, or problem with this SSD?

• Mainboard : Asus Z97 Pro gamer
  • CPU :           4790K
  • Ram:            16GB G.skill trident
  • SSD:             Samsung 980 1TB  -   NVMe M.2

As you see in screenshots, SSD is almost free and only 5% of capacity is full

Screenshot (1).png

Screenshot (2).png

That system only supports PCIe 2.0 x2 to the m.2, so it'll be 4x slower than the standard PCIe 3.0 x4.

4th gen is basically when m.2 was first indroduced and there were essentially no drives available to use it with you could buy.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

Also, FWIW, the 980 is not the speediest drive even when you have PCIe 3.0 x4 available to you. It exclusively relies on HMB instead of a dedicated DRAM cache, which can significantly slow down the drive with very large or sustained writes. It's fine for casual use, but if you push it, speeds will drop through the floor.

It's odd that Samsung named their most entry level PCIe 3.0 drive the 980 and their top of the line, industry best PCIe 4.0 drive the 980 Pro. They share virtually nothing in common but the "980". That drive is easily bested by even a 970 Evo from Samsung.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

6 hours ago, Kilrah said:

Thanks dude, You're right,

Due to manipulated hardware market in here, price of Sata Evo860 is same as m2 980 SSD Drive both in 1TB capacity, So i just checked if mainboard support m.2 and just made this purchase, and didn't paid too much into the details, although my mainboard does not support full potential performance, but it was a win choice😄.

5 hours ago, Chris Pratt said:

Also, FWIW, the 980 is not the speediest drive even when you have PCIe 3.0 x4 available to you. It exclusively relies on HMB instead of a dedicated DRAM cache, which can significantly slow down the drive with very large or sustained writes. It's fine for casual use, but if you push it, speeds will drop through the floor.

It's odd that Samsung named their most entry level PCIe 3.0 drive the 980 and their top of the line, industry best PCIe 4.0 drive the 980 Pro. They share virtually nothing in common but the "980". That drive is easily bested by even a 970 Evo from Samsung.

Marketing trick 😄,

but for me, mainboard made a huge bottleneck on both read/ write performance... Time for an upgrade...