buying a camera

Vilyo

Hello,

I am in the process of setting up some social media to share my tabletop crafting stuff, I am also thinking of starting a basic youtube channel to share some of my stuff. In order to do any of it I need a camera that would ideally be capable of recording a good video and taking good pictures. The obvious answer is typically "use your smartphone" but my phone is a samsung s7 and its... dated.... I have no plans of upgrading my phone in the near future as it still works (mostly). As such I am looking to buy a camera in the 300-400€ range. Not sure how relevant the choice in the end is but id also like to not spend another 300€ on the accessories id need to properly use the camera. (I know that hoping for a decent mic on the camera is a stretch and if needed id look into a cheapish mic). Any tips or recommendations welcome

You might be looking at a used DSLR camera for that price range that comes with a decent kit lens or prime (something like a 50mm). I'm not completely sure what DSLR camera you should look into, but speaking from experience purchasing it, the Canon EOS Rebel T7 is a decent APS-C DSLR. Only downside is this camera does not have the ability to plug in a external microphone. I have not yet recorded videos though, as it would take up a lot of space on my SD card. 

I'm pretty new when it comes to photography but I just wanted to give you my experience so far. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

Right now Canond 6D's + lenses are going for really really cheap on ebay I don't know why but they are. The video taking options on it are good not great but much better than you can do with a phone still.

1 minute ago, jaslion said:

Right now Canond 6D's + lenses are going for really really cheap on ebay I don't know why but they are. The video taking options on it are good not great but much better than you can do with a phone still.

in europe too or just in us? 😄 europe is often more problematic in that aspect... 

12 minutes ago, Vilyo said:

in europe too or just in us? 😄 europe is often more problematic in that aspect... 

Europe for me as that is where I'm looking :p. I was looking into getting a new camera myself as I finally managed to fish up my old canon 6d and it's kit from the well it fell in and well yeah camera is cooked but some lenses are still good it seems.

21 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Europe for me as that is where I'm looking :p. I was looking into getting a new camera myself as I finally managed to fish up my old canon 6d and it's kit from the well it fell in and well yeah camera is cooked but some lenses are still good it seems.

ha, ok cool, what would you say is a good price for a 6d then? im checking ebay.de and theres all sorts of combos 😄 

Just now, Vilyo said:

ha, ok cool, what would you say is a good price for a 6d then? im checking ebay.de and theres all sorts of combos 😄 

No more than 400 for a full decked out mark II unit. Plenty others become available at 450 that would be better.

1 minute ago, jaslion said:

No more than 400 for a full decked out mark II unit. Plenty others become available at 450 that would be better.

im either checking wrong or seeing wrong 😄 all the ones i see are way more than that

7 hours ago, Vilyo said:

The obvious answer is typically "use your smartphone" but my phone is a samsung s7 and its... dated....

Have you tried using your phone? It shoudl still work fine here, and the quality is more than plenty for youtube.

That budget is gonna limit you a good amount. Id probalby try to get something used like a canon t3i/t4i/t5i or nikon d3200/d3300/d3400. Should be cheap ish used, and still ok, but most of these have pretty bad af durning video if that matters to you.

12 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Have you tried using your phone? It shoudl still work fine here, and the quality is more than plenty for youtube.

That budget is gonna limit you a good amount. Id probalby try to get something used like a canon t3i/t4i/t5i or nikon d3200/d3300/d3400. Should be cheap ish used, and still ok, but most of these have pretty bad af durning video if that matters to you.

i have up to a point, but it is what it is, its ok but i feel like it could be much better.... ill look into your suggestions, any tips on what type of lens to look for? 

7 hours ago, Vilyo said:

i have up to a point, but it is what it is, its ok but i feel like it could be much better.... ill look into your suggestions, any tips on what type of lens to look for? 

Can you show a example of what you don't like about the phone footage.

Probably start with a kit lens, cheap and flexable, then find what focal length and get a prime in that focal length.