Another first build..

P34C3M4K3R

Budget (including currency): 3 000$ CAD

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for:  -Pretty much every kind of game for the next 5 years (minimum 5 years)

-Good fps, and good graphics expected, might upgrade GPU in the future (in 2 to 3 year if necessary)

-Might want to do a little bit of SolidWork if possible. Last pc i had was built for me at a local shop, back then they told me the architecture of components is different for simulation. I had to buy a better GPU to game couple years later. 

-Gaming is the priority this time since i have another pc for that at my job. 

-Need to run multiple softwares at the same time.

-In sum, the best case would be gaming PC that can do it all, but it dont need to be perfect in every aspect.

Monitors : 2 monitors, 1080p for now. Main monitor can go up to 165hz.

Peripherals : Only need a tower.

Why are you upgrading? :  Long story short i was planning to upgrade soon and i was waiting for better GPU prices, but i shortcut the motherboard with vape condensation and had multiples others problems. 

Other points : - I dont mind overspending a little bit on parts if it means better quality and lifespan.

- Total should not go too much over 3 000$ taxes included (around 15% taxes).

- Already bought the GPU and it will arrive this week (1 385$ with taxes + my soul). Definitely got scammed and aware of it, but the amount of scam is just a bit higher than i usually get at my local shops. 

- I don't care about RGB.

Build :

So i did my home work and watched multiples youtube video and builds on the forum. Here is the build i came up with.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/J4MbBc

CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3.8 GHz 8-Core Processor  

Cooler : NZXT Kraken X63 98.17 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler

Motherboard : Asus TUF GAMING B550-PLUS ATX AM4 Motherboard

RAM : G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory

Storage : Samsung 980 Pro 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive

GPU : Asus GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8 GB DUAL OC Video Card

PSU : Corsair RM (2019) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
Extra fans : 2 X ARCTIC P12 56.3 CFM 120 mm Fan

Subtotal of 1 260 $ without taxes and GPU

Subtotal around 1 445 $ with taxes and without GPU

Total of 2 830$.

My Questions:

1. I know that cpu can have temperature peaks and that is mainly why i chose a liquid cooler. I dont plan to overclock my cpu (may be i will want to in a couple of years who knows). Does these heat spikes happens often during normal loads, or just when a lot of work is asked, or just when you overclock.  

2. I think i heard somewhere that there are softwares that monitor the pump nowadays. Does it comes with the cooler? Does it shut down the pc if there is a failure? If not, what's the typical life of a liquid cooler/ when i should replace?

3. Is the bios flash drive included with the mother board if i dont get a recent one? If not, how do i get one?

4. If i use a air cooler (front to back setup) what is the optimal cfm i should go for to keep a laminar flow, and is my ram going to be in the way? Does it matter at all? I think there will always be turbulence to a certain degree.

5. Did i miss something in terms of compatibility?

6. Any recommandations?

My vape condensation problem : Since covid, i spend a lot more time at my work station and vape around 12 ml per day. So pretty much every electronics i had, failed me this year. My apartment is really old and there is no air unit, so i just bought a dehumidifier and plan to buy an air filtrer too. With those i should mitigate a lot of the condensation. But i guess i'll have to clean the pc regularly too, or vape outside.

Here is my final boss question. It's ok if no one can answer. Typically water condensation occur on cold surfaces when there is a fair differential in temps of air/surfaces, depending of the quantity of water/liquids in the air. So hot air containing more water than cool air will condensate when it is cooling. Heat sink produce more heat into the case if i am correct. So in theory it should produce more condensation on the case and protruding geometry than a liquid cooler. Is there really a big difference in temperature in the air inside the case (water cooling vs air cooling)? Do i need more air flows to ensure every part of the pc is at similar temps, or is it just going to makes more condensation because i will have more air/vapor flowing through. Is it possible to create a stagnation area inside the case with usual fans setup, but bad cfm ratio between exhaust and intake?

Im a overthinking things? I think so 🙂    

English is not my first language, sorry if mistakes were made.      

6 minutes ago, P34C3M4K3R said:

1 385

you paid that for a 3060ti?!!?! bruv you got like really scamed, like even scalpers have them for like 900. i would get 3600mhz ram instead if you can.

|:Insert something funny:|

-----------------

#

The price was around 1175 on amazon with a beautiful 200$ taxes and shipping. Sadly I was not aware of combos when i bought. Thanks for the reply and recommendation! 

22 minutes ago, P34C3M4K3R said:

My Questions:

1. I know that cpu can have temperature peaks and that is mainly why i chose a liquid cooler. I dont plan to overclock my cpu (may be i will want to in a couple of years who knows). Does these heat spikes happens often during normal loads, or just when a lot of work is asked, or just when you overclock.  

I use a 360mm AIO on my 5800x but it would do just as well with a 280mm AIO.  Mine idles in the low 30s and I have it so when it peaks it does not set the fans off.

I have tested 2 AIOs with the 5800x and it is noisier than my Intel builds. 

2. I think i heard somewhere that there are softwares that monitor the pump nowadays. Does it comes with the cooler? Does it shut down the pc if there is a failure? If not, what's the typical life of a liquid cooler/ when i should replace?

I have not heard of software that can do that but as a pump gets old and the water evaporates temperatures will rise. So do the build and record the temps.

Use Cinebench R20 or any other app that will get all your cores working and do the test every couple of months. 

That is what I do.

3. Is the bios flash drive included with the mother board if i dont get a recent one? If not, how do i get one?

No, and it is a pain.

I have 3 flash drives and only one worked. The last one. 

If the board is DOA or does not like the drive there is no way to tell.

The ASUS Hero Dark comes with the bios already flashed and I would have bought one if it was not on back order everywhere at the time. 

Now there may be more boards that are updated so check reviews. 

4. If i use a air cooler (front to back setup) what is the optimal cfm i should go for to keep a laminar flow, and is my ram going to be in the way? Does it matter at all? I think there will always be turbulence to a certain degree.

I use big air coolers for most of my builds and use cases with 200mm fans in front. These are both quit and cool.

I only use be quiet Dark Rock Pro 4s or a Noctua nh-d15s. The Noctua's have no ram issues but the DRP 4 does.  I leaned this the hard way.

Case hight is an issue though. All my 2020/2021 cases only fit one fan on a Noctua nh-d15s so far.

They are also good at moving air across the GPUs backplate so my i9 9900k with an ASUS ROG Strix OC 3080 stays cooler than the GPUs I have with CPU AIOs. 

No.

Interesting choice for fans.

My last build got Silverstone fans since they are cheap, quiet, have RGB and move lots of air.

6. Any recommandations?

I don't like ASUS budget boards since I have always had issues with them. I will only buy a Hero from them.

Look at MSI and Aorus before you buy.

RIG#1 CPU: AMD, R 7 5800x3D| Motherboard: X570 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3200 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 2TB | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG42UQ

RIG#2 CPU: Intel i9 11900k | Motherboard: Z590 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3600 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1300 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | SSD#1: SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX300 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k C1 OLED TV

RIG#3 CPU: Intel i9 10900kf | Motherboard: Z490 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 4000 | GPU: MSI Gaming X Trio 3090 | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Crucial P1 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

RIG#4 CPU: Intel i9 13900k | Motherboard: AORUS Z790 Master | RAM: Corsair Dominator RGB 32GB DDR5 6200 | GPU: Zotac Amp Extreme 4090  | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Streacom BC1.1S | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD: Corsair MP600 1TB  | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

11 minutes ago, jones177 said:

I don't like ASUS budget boards since I have always had issues with them. I will only buy a Hero from them.

Look at MSI and Aorus before you buy.

I will check it out! Your answers are really appreciated 🙂

My Questions:

2. I think i heard somewhere that there are softwares that monitor the pump nowadays. Does it comes with the cooler? Does it shut down the pc if there is a failure? If not, what's the typical life of a liquid cooler/ when i should replace?

4. If i use a air cooler (front to back setup) what is the optimal cfm i should go for to keep a laminar flow, and is my ram going to be in the way? Does it matter at all? I think there will always be turbulence to a certain degree.

6. Any recommandations?

1. Mostly just in gaming and workloads like video editing and heavy duty multitasking (video editing/rendering + browsing the web).
  2. I wouldn't recommend a liquid cooler in the first place. You spent so much on the cpu, that it would just be a waste for it to drain all over your system, in the event of a colossal failure (...aka your cpu cooler leaking).
  3. No. Just get a USB 3.0 flash drive (preferably 16GB or 32GB, since it's a nice to have for small backups too).
  4. I'll be honest... I just installed mine, and set up the RGB. I played around with the fan curves a bit, but default was showing good enough temperatures for me.
  5. Nope.
  6. Yes! Go cheaper on the RAM, and go with more storage. AAA games are using up a lot more storage nowadays. You may end up adding another 1TB SSD sooner than you think. Case has more than enough pre-installed fans btw, but I do recommend moving the one installed at the front of the case, to the top of the case (as an exhaust fan). Then mount the 140mm Corsair fans at the front of the case, as intake fans. Also, PCPartPicker has an option for Canada at the top. 🙂

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/7tGkVc

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3.8 GHz 8-Core Processor  ($499.99 @ Newegg Canada) 
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black 82.51 CFM CPU Cooler  ($119.95 @ Amazon Canada) 
Motherboard: MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($169.99 @ Newegg Canada) 
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory  ($169.99 @ Memory Express) 
Storage: Western Digital SN750 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($79.99 @ Newegg Canada) 
Storage: Western Digital Blue 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($99.00 @ Amazon Canada) 
Video Card: Asus GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8 GB DUAL OC Video Card  ($1385.00) 
Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow ATX Mid Tower Case  ($119.99 @ Amazon Canada) 
Power Supply: Corsair RM (2019) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($139.97 @ Amazon Canada) 
Case Fan: Corsair ML140 Pro 97 CFM 140 mm Fan  ($39.99 @ Amazon Canada) 
Case Fan: Corsair ML140 Pro 97 CFM 140 mm Fan  ($39.99 @ Amazon Canada) 
$2863.85

Am I still to create the perfect system?! ~ Clu

Keep your expectations low, boy, and you will never be disappointed. ~ Kratos

Yes thats a big oops, it was in US $. 😐 The Noctua is certainly a more interesting option in these conditions. Thank you! Overall it seems pretty solid to me too. I could swear i saw that list somewhere 🙂

8 minutes ago, P34C3M4K3R said:

I could swear i saw that list somewhere 🙂

Reddit? Idk tbh. 😄

giphy.gif

Am I still to create the perfect system?! ~ Clu

Keep your expectations low, boy, and you will never be disappointed. ~ Kratos