Question(s) about 1440p vs 1080p and help deciding between 2 laptops

Hello everyone, I have a few questions that I was hoping some of you could help me out with.

1)  On a 15' laptop screen, would 1440p 165hz make any noticeable difference graphics/quality wise, compared to a 1080p 300hz laptop screen?

2) What kind of in-game performance difference would there be when playing in 1440p compared to 1080p?

(For example, In a game where I get 60-70fps in 1080p, what fps could I expect to get in the same game with same hardware, but playing at 1440p instead? What kind of fps drop would I be looking at?)

3) If I were to buy a 1440p laptop, could I just simply downscale it somehow to 1080p instead, and get an fps / performance boost?

4) If I were to hook up the 1440p 165hz laptop up to a 1080p 60hz external monitor, would that cause any issues or problems?

5) This final question is more about advice or suggestions on my current situation regarding which laptop to go with. I'll try and give as much info as I can, while keeping it as short as possible.

Please give me your opinions!

I'm an American living in Japan. Looking to buy a gaming laptop to use when I am at work or traveling. I will be using it for 5+ years. I have a roughly $2000 budget, give or take a few hundred depending on deals or what not.

After spending the last week or so looking at different laptops, I *think* I've narrowed it down to 2 different ones.

1) ROG Strix G15 Advantage Edition 1080p (USA) - $1650

(https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-rog-strix-g15-advantage-edition-15-6-fhd-gaming-laptop-amd-ryzen-9-5900hx-16gb-memory-radeonrx-6800m-512gb-ssd/6466550.p?skuId=6466550)

2) ROG Strix G15 Advantage Edition 1440p (JAPAN) - $2000

(https://www.amazon.co.jp/-/en/gp/product/B09BYQFC47?pf_rd_r=VM9GDNZFGT62WQ7K9XHZ&pf_rd_p=95e91a01-15a6-4c09-a54f-cab733d2ef03&pd_rd_r=ba23c3cf-ed7d-46ba-994e-cfc440bda4b3&pd_rd_w=Mabhr&pd_rd_wg=JF94L&ref_=pd_gw_unk&th=1)

These Strix G15's seem to be the most bang for your buck gaming laptops that I've come across so far, which is why I am considering them. I should also mention that I don't really care about 1440p gaming, at least not unless there is a very nice noticeable difference when gaming. So considering that, I'd rather have the 1080p version honestly, especially since it's $350 cheaper. However, there are other issues that I'll explain now.

So the 1080p version is ONLY sold at BestBuy in America. BestBuy does not ship internationally. I also can not buy it online myself because the website won't accept my local Japanese bank card (since its not a visa / master card).

This means, in order for me to buy it. I need to go to my bank, do a bank transfer from my Japanese bank to my sisters American bank account. Then have my sister go to BestBuy and buy the laptop herself. Then have her open it up, turn it on to make sure it works, then package it for international shipping. Then of course, ship it to me on the other side of the world and hope that it doesn't get damaged on the way. So kind of a lot of work / hassle for her, while also taking a risk in being damaged. Furthermore, there would be some cost in shipping it as well. Of course not $350 worth, but maybe $50-100?

Now for the 1440p version. Obviously, $350 more expensive for a 1440p monitor that I don't even really need / want. However, I can buy it on Amazon Japan right now, and it will be at my door tomorrow, with free shipping. Another downside is, the 1440p one comes with a physical Japanese keyboard. Japanese keyboards are super annoying to use because their space bars are less than half the size of a normal space bar, since they have extra toggle keys on the bottom row of the keyboard. Now, as annoying as that is, it isn't the end of the world considering I would have this laptop hooked up to an external monitor and keyboard at work, which is where I'd be using the laptop 80% of the time anyway. But still, when traveling it would be a bit annoying.

So considering all of that, what do you guys think? If you were in my situation, which laptop would you consider being the better choice?

Thanks for taking the time to read and respond! Looking forward to reading your replies and answers!

1) yes.  The screen would be bigger.  

2) yes. Frame rates will be lower.  I personally find any frame rate over 100fps indistinguishable from another, but that isn’t the same for everyone.  I also understand that practically no one can see a difference above 144fps. I understand it can matter for pro PvP players though even if the difference is not visible. Something about hit boxes or something.  Not sure how it worked.  There is a video.  

3) yes, but 1440p doesn’t scale to 1080p very cleanly so there can be problems.  It apparently does scale well to 720p.  4k scales well to 1080p

4) none due to the resolution but there may be other issues.

5) 1440p laptops are a bit unusual.  They’re usually 1080p or 4k.  A lot of people like 1440p a lot more than 1080p but it’s mostly about non PvP shooter games.  For those games people will often run 1080p low to get highest possible frame rates.  This sounds like what that 1080p laptop is for.  It kinda depends on what kind of games you like to play I think.  1 will be better One type, but still OK at the other type of game.

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

12 hours ago, VincentVolaju said:

(For example, In a game where I get 60-70fps in 1080p, what fps could I expect to get in the same game with same hardware, but playing at 1440p instead? What kind of fps drop would I be looking at?)

From my experience, it was around 30-35% drop. Depends on the Game itself, and other settings, but yea around 30%. Can be 20, can be 40.

Also from my Experience:

native 1440p + High Settings looks better than native 1080p + Ultra Settings.

But that was on my Desktop with 24" Monitors. PPI on smaller Notebook screenms is higher, so you might not see such a difference. But having 1440p isn't really bad, and there's a LOT you can tweak with Settings.

And don't you EVER Dare to keep Settings on Ultra, while reducing Resolution. This will never look good.

Resolution is the last Setting you reduce, when even Low/Medium settings still won't give you enough fps.

Depends on your usage of the laptop... Has hardware canucks said in one of his last videos, 300hz are useless! After 144hz, if you don't have a trained eye it's hard to see the difference imho! 

Whereas if you get the 1440p not only it will look a bit better/sharper, but also the usually the 1440p panels are much better in terms of color reproduction, so also while watching a movie on the go it will be pleasing to the eye! I would go with the 1440p!! 

Have you tried to see if the normal g15 with nvidia graphics are less expensive and easier to find? Maybe you could save some money in thay way! Or maybe also looking at other laptops!