Thoughts on using custom pre built services like I buy power for your first PC?

Go to solution Solved by BobVonBob,

In the current market, system builders can be a great way to get your hands on a GPU at a fairly reasonable price without spending weeks stalking retailer websites. They're not a good way to do that if you're not looking for a whole system, but since you need a full system, and especially since you're unable to build a PC yourself, it's worth seriously considering them.

I'm planning to  purchase my first gaming PC Sometime in 2022 I think .  I know it's probably way too early to start thinking about concrete builds,  but I just want to do a bunch of preparatory research.  So my question is, is it a good idea to buy my first gaming PC from a builder service like iBuyPower ( I’ll be  using a Dutch equivalent)  as a good base that I can build upon?   Or is it something not done and too risky?  I'm not in a position to build my own computer due to disability.  If I’d  build my own rig I would just get a family member to help me and guide them through the process.  None of us have experience building our own PCs. 

So it would probably  be easier for me to start with a customised pre-built system and then build upon that in the future. 

What's you guys’ advice on this?  

Should I create a custom system on one of those websites and ask for feedback on the parts I picked here on this forum? 

Going to use alternate? I know for a fact that most dutch prebuilt builders are kinda ok at worst since they just take of the shelf parts and build em in store usually.

What I would recommend is just getting the parts and paying a 100€ builder fee to a rando store then you have the most control.

For sure ask for feedback none the less. 2022 is still an ends away so lots can change. Basically ask the week you are building it. If for some reason you have a couple weeks delay ask again things are super volatile rn.

I dont know alternate but I'll look into them! What I'll do is I'll look at some sites, research components and get back to you guys with a build once I'm closer to getting it. Thanks!

9 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Going to use alternate? I know for a fact that most dutch prebuilt builders are kinda ok at worst since they just take of the shelf parts and build em in store usually.

What I would recommend is just getting the parts and paying a 100€ builder fee to a rando store then you have the most control.

For sure ask for feedback none the less. 2022 is still an ends away so lots can change. Basically ask the week you are building it. If for some reason you have a couple weeks delay ask again things are super volatile rn.

In the current market, system builders can be a great way to get your hands on a GPU at a fairly reasonable price without spending weeks stalking retailer websites. They're not a good way to do that if you're not looking for a whole system, but since you need a full system, and especially since you're unable to build a PC yourself, it's worth seriously considering them.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

Yeah thought so too, I'll look at some builders in the Netherlands, And try to find the best one. Thanks!

14 minutes ago, BobVonBob said:

Builders also wont fluctuate their prices as much as retailers right? 

Unfortunately pre-builds very in quality, even iBUYPOWER can do some pretty questionable things. I remember OriginPC actually making a reasonably decent build, but most of your PC builders do weird things and cut strange corners.

For you though, it sounds like you can't even order from these builders, not atleast without paying way too much on shipping. So now you are working with even more questionable territory because you will likely order from someone who hasn't been vetted by tech channels.

I think the idea of using a PC part picker website to list off the parts you need and ensure they are compatible, ordering them and not necessarily through the site, then finding a local computer store who can build the PC for you, is a great idea. This way you can ensure it won't get damaged while being shipped, and this way you know exactly what's in your computer, no strange part choices.

This all assumes though:

1) You have a computer shop in town who is willing to assemble an entire gaming PC for you.

2) You don't mind having to deal with the graphics card shortage because it's still extremely hard to find 30 series cards.

If any of these are an issue, then order a pre-build. Just be cautious, and I would have the system checked by someone if you can't really do it. Last thing you want is a builder who cheaps out on your power supply, then have that ruin your computer after a year.