Could anyone with recent Intel hardware try this for me on PopOS

So on my Thinkpad, fractional scaling has screen tearing issues. My desktop with a Radeon doesn't(at least in a live environment). I think it might have something to do with my Thinkpad having Haswell graphics. Unfortunately, that's the latest Intel iGPU I have. I think recent Intel hardware should work fine with fractional scaling because System76 sells laptops with high resolution displays with 10th and 11th gen Intel hardware.

So what I ask is that you make some sort of PopOS 21.04 live media, boot it on recent Intel graphics, set scaling to something that's not 100%, 200%, 300%, etc and see if there's screen tearing issues. Even if you have "older" hardware like 7th or 8th gen, I'd still like to see the results.

lumpy chunks

Expand to help Bunny reach world domination

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to
(")_(") help him on his way to world domination.

-Rakshit Jain

2 minutes ago, Nayr438 said:

Try this, https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/intel_graphics#Tearing

It's the Arch Wiki but that config will apply to anyone still using Xorg, which as far as I am aware PopOS! still does to maintain full support for NVIDIA's Drivers.

I'm already aware of that fix, and it does work on my Thinkpad. I'm just wondering if PopOS out of the box has this issue on newer hardware.

lumpy chunks

(\__/)

-Rakshit Jain

1 minute ago, LloydLynx said:

I'm already aware of that fix, and it does work on my Thinkpad. I'm just wondering if PopOS out of the box has this issue on newer hardware.

Probably. Intel has known issues with Xorg, Distro's don't even ship Intels Xorg Driver because off how problematic it is, especially with newer hardware. I would imagine a lot of this has been resolved in Wayland, which still isn't widely adopted because of NVIDIA.

I've got a gaming laptop with an i5 7300H and a 1050 Ti, but should be getting an 11th gen Thinkpad tomorrow that I can try this out on as well. 

On that machine, I didn't get any issues when using fractional scaling in the live environment, though there's a decent chance that it was using the 1050, and I wasn't going to wipe my hard drive to select and make sure it was using integrated. If you remind me tomorrow, I'll test it out on that other Thinkpad and let you know how it works with 11th gen graphics. I don't see how it would be any different, but who knows. 

I admit my laptop is 1080p, but when I enable fractional scaling (which really shouldn't exist IMO) I get no screen tearing.

Personally I wouldn't bother with 4k on Linux with a full DE like gnome. Unless it's pantheon, because Pantheon is the only DE that supports high DPI the right way.

Just now, 10leej said:

I admit my laptop is 1080p, but when I enable fractional scaling (which really shouldn't exist IMO) I get no screen tearing.

What GPU and CPU are you using?

lumpy chunks

(\__/)

-Rakshit Jain

Update:

I tried this with a Lenovo Thinkpad L13 Yoga Gen 2, which holds an i5 1135G7. 

I enabled fractional scaling and got screen tearing when moving a window around.