NTFS Filesystem not letting me open folders

Rysters Tech

My laptop has 2 internal drives, an ssd and a hard drive.

Whenever i go to open any folder or file on the drive, i get the "you do not have permission to access this folder message"

Capture.PNG.f1b07800e31f66a90ed24cefcdb9d5d1.PNGCapture2.PNG.de17864773ec33c722f79f0e0fc946fc.PNG

i have run an fs check and a virus scan, both of which turned out fine.

i noticed whenever i opened hard disk sentinel, which is an hdd smart reporting program, this message shown in the picture was there.

as this is a laptop, you cant replace cables like suggested by the software.

i also noticed that sometimes in task manager the drive activityfor that drive would randomly go up to 100 percent with no data being read or written according to task manager, which makes sense as this is not an os drive.

im trying to determine wether its my hard drive, or my odd to hdd adapter im using. I used that adapter many times in many laptops and this is the first time this has come up. My hdd model is a toshiba HDWL120XZSTA, brand new.

ive included a picture of the drive itself, with the serial covered up.

1939325115_Image(2).thumb.jpg.7b48bdd78091b618ec8a2d7385616399.jpg

Let me guess, you installed a SSD and made a clean windows install on it while keeping the HDD as is? It is the permissions that dont allow you to do browse it, I assume you havent tried these?

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Try adding your user to the security tab ... right click on the drive letter or the root folder that causes problems, properties, security ...  hit edit and add your username and check the permissions (full control, modify, read/execute ,  list folders, read and write files etc)

It should apply recursively to the folders inside the folder you set properties on.

How it looks on windows 7 (should be similar in Windows 10) :

image.png.66167f0ede7c22c7957c9d7364d02e85.png

On 9/16/2021 at 1:30 PM, Levent said:

Let me guess, you installed a SSD and made a clean windows install on it while keeping the HDD as is? It is the permissions that dont allow you to do browse it, I assume you havent tried these?

On 9/16/2021 at 1:32 PM, mariushm said:

Try adding your user to the security tab ... right click on the drive letter or the root folder that causes problems, properties, security ...  hit edit and add your username and check the permissions (full control, modify, read/execute ,  list folders, read and write files etc)

It should apply recursively to the folders inside the folder you set properties on.

How it looks on windows 7 (should be similar in Windows 10) :

image.png.66167f0ede7c22c7957c9d7364d02e85.png

I did this and it worked, but the disk still reports errors and it says my recycle bin is corrupted. "

the smart status says

"Problems occurred between the communication of the disk and the host 324 times.
In case of sudden system crash, reboot, blue-screen-of-death, inaccessible file(s)/folder(s), it is recommended to verify data and power cables, connections - and if possible try different cables to prevent further problems.
More information: https://www.hdsentinel.com/hard_disk_case_communication_error.php

No actions needed.

Hard Disk Sentinel 5.70
"

I was thinking maybe my optical drive to hdd adapter i have installed might be the issue.

3 minutes ago, SiliconMagician said:

I did this and it worked, but the disk still reports errors and it says my recycle bin is corrupted. "

the smart status says

"Problems occurred between the communication of the disk and the host 324 times.
In case of sudden system crash, reboot, blue-screen-of-death, inaccessible file(s)/folder(s), it is recommended to verify data and power cables, connections - and if possible try different cables to prevent further problems.
More information: https://www.hdsentinel.com/hard_disk_case_communication_error.php

No actions needed.

Hard Disk Sentinel 5.70
"

Change the sata cable , then open a command prompt and type

chkdsk LETTER: /F 

where you replace LETTER with your drive letter.   chkdsk  is a built in windows tool which checks a partition (a drive letter) for errors, and the /F parameter tells the tool it can go ahead and fix any potential file system errors.

5 hours ago, mariushm said:

Change the sata cable , then open a command prompt and type

chkdsk LETTER: /F 

where you replace LETTER with your drive letter.   chkdsk  is a built in windows tool which checks a partition (a drive letter) for errors, and the /F parameter tells the tool it can go ahead and fix any potential file system errors.

windows did find and fix errors, this is a laptop, you cannot really change the cable on them. i was thinking it may be the odd to hdd adapter im using.