Looking to upgrade my Music Production workstation.

MeistrMusic
Go to solution Solved by GeorgeMKane,
4 minutes ago, MeistrMusic said:

That looks good. Does that case support the full size PSU?

It's a non-ATX psu still, so you're good.

Forgot to add case fans, and you'll need a case fan splitter, because the motherboard only has 1 fan header. I think I changed the storage situation, since you saw my comment at first. I had edited the comment a few times.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Wt7x7X

Budget: 1500$

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Music Production with FL Studio, including many libraries such as Kontakt, Spitfire ONE, and many, many vst plugins running at once.

Other details: Carrying over a GTX 1070 from my current build until GPU prices go down again. Trying to make something that I will mostly keep at home, but is somewhat portable if I want to take it to the office. I have a portable 1080p touchscreen monitor and a 2k 165hz gaming monitor, a USB Keyboard and Mouse, Wired Headphones, and 1GBps internet. I'm also looking to somewhat future-proof my PC. Everything but my graphics card in my current build is 8+ years old.

Here's my current PCPartPicker info: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/VRR8Dc

Thinking of switching the 5900x with the 5950x. Am completely unsure if the extra ~150$ is worth it.

the things ill change is the ram, to an higher Mhz frequency, a sata (not 2 nvme m.2) and the case, maybe buy a micro atx one

Just now, puppo said:

the things ill change is the ram, to an higher Mhz frequency, a sata (not 2 nvme m.2) and the case, maybe buy a micro atx one

Why is that? 

Just now, MeistrMusic said:

Why is that? 

a ryzen cpu is better with higher ram frequencies, for the ssd thing, idk, i would just prefer it like that, even because its easier to install. 

i would choose another case just because of how it looks and how the whole build could look better with a micro atx case

Wait. Why the ultra slim case? Are you planning on traveling with this computer a lot?

Am I still to create the perfect system?! ~ Clu

Keep your expectations low, boy, and you will never be disappointed. ~ Kratos

5 minutes ago, MeistrMusic said:

Budget: 1500$

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Music Production with FL Studio, including many libraries such as Kontakt, Spitfire ONE, and many, many vst plugins running at once.

Other details: Carrying over a GTX 1070 from my current build until GPU prices go down again. Trying to make something that I will mostly keep at home, but is somewhat portable if I want to take it to the office. I have a portable 1080p touchscreen monitor and a 2k 165hz gaming monitor, a USB Keyboard and Mouse, Wired Headphones, and 1GBps internet. I'm also looking to somewhat future-proof my PC. Everything but my graphics card in my current build is 8+ years old.

Here's my current PCPartPicker info: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/VRR8Dc

Thinking of switching the 5900x with the 5950x. Am completely unsure if the extra ~150$ is worth it.

That cooler probably wont cool the 5900X, unless you undervolt it.

Change the RAM to 3600 MHz, 5th gen Ryzen works better with faster memory.

I'd change the board to a B550, there are almost no advantages to X570, and B550 is cheaper.

Just now, GeorgeMKane said:

Wait. Why the ultra slim case? Are you planning on traveling with this computer a lot?

That is the plan. I work with people on production once a week, so it'd be very cool to have something portable. Would it be better to switch to a micro-atx? 

1 minute ago, Cool_Evlo said:

That cooler probably wont cool the 5900X, unless you undervolt it.

Change the RAM to 3600 MHz, 5th gen Ryzen works better with faster memory.

I'd change the board to a B550, there are almost no advantages to X570, and B550 is cheaper.

Is there a cooler you recommend that would fit that case? Or do you have a recommendation for a small case that would fit a better cooler?

3 minutes ago, MeistrMusic said:

That is the plan. I work with people on production once a week, so it'd be very cool to have something portable. Would it be better to switch to a micro-atx? 

Well, you can actually still go mini-itx and just use a different case. The case with THAT cpu wouldn't be great, unless you're pulling a JayzTwoCents and custom modifying the case. I also somewhat agree about the RAM, but as long as you have 3200MHz RAM you're good. People think that you absolutely must have the ultimate mega fast RAM kit in the entire world, but you actually don't need it. Fit what you can fit into your budget.

I would recommend something like this instead.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/xwcXK3

Edited by GeorgeMKane

3 minutes ago, GeorgeMKane said:

Well, you can actually still go mini-itx and just use a different case. The case with THAT cpu wouldn't be great, unless you're pulling a JayzTwoCents and custom modifying the case.

I would recommend something like this instead.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/wmrkxc

4 minutes ago, MeistrMusic said:

Forgot to add case fans, and you'll need a case fan splitter, because the motherboard only has 1 fan header. I think I changed the storage situation, since you saw my comment at first. I had edited the comment a few times.

Edited by GeorgeMKane

5 minutes ago, GeorgeMKane said:

Thank you for helping me out. 

1 minute ago, MeistrMusic said:

Thank you for helping me out. 

Happy to help! If you take pics or post your build on pcpartpicker (under completed builds), please link me to that/them. 🙂