FunkyFresh

Best psu of these.  

7 members have voted

1. 1. From these 3 psu which is best.

• Be Quiet Straight Power 11, 750W, 80+ Platinum
    • Corsair 750W, RM750x, 80+ Gold
    • Corsair 750W, HX750, 80+ Platinum

Hello. 🙂

For ryzen 5600x and rx 6800 xt <or> rtx 3080 build..

If i'm looking right at psu list they are from "A" list, one of the best psu's?

What psu would be better? I'm looking at Gold or Platinum from "Be Quiet Straight Power 11"

Is there big difference in gold versus plat?

And what wattage sould be safe to use?

Thanks for helping. <3<3

Moved into its own topic, you can edit the title if you'd prefer something else.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

Thanks. I simply din't want to make another "will or will not" post. But hey it's alright.

58 minutes ago, BuilderBob said:

Hello. 🙂

For ryzen 5600x and rx 6800 xt <or> rtx 3080 build..

If i'm looking right at psu list they are from "A" list, one of the best psu's?

What psu would be better? I'm looking at Gold or Platinum from "Be Quiet Straight Power 11"

Thanks for helping. <3<3

I would say they’re both pretty good if they’re on the A list. A platinum PSU will use less power when on idle. When you say 5600 & 6800xt do you mean both at the same time?  Depending on the price difference and how long the thing spends idle you may actually make up the additional cost in power savings over time.  As to what the differences are between the two as to its internal structure I don’t know.  If it’s going to spend a long time with the 5600 alone but be big enough for a 3080, I might go for the platinum just to waste less power while I wait.  Again depends on the power cost, PSU price difference, and time spent with only the smaller GPU.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

I have had good luck with Corsair and EVGA PSUs.

From the A list a Corsair RMx model in the wattage range you need (850?)  is a good choice.

I have a 750W RM from about 8 years ago still going strong in a build my daughter is now using.

cpu - 5600x

gpu - 6800xt

I just don't know which psu would be better over all. I wan't the best of best.. My old pc is ~8 years old fx8120 gtx 660..

Im finnaly upgrading and with PSU i'm stuck. I don't know which would be best and what Wattage should i get.. I don't plan upgrading for atleast 8 years..

Where i read people say 750w also? Isn't it overkill?

Just now, BuilderBob said:

cpu - 5600x

gpu - 6800xt

I just don't know which psu would be better over al. I wan't the best of best.. My old pc is 13 years old fx8120 gtx 660..

Im finnaly upgrading and with PSU i'm stuck. Idon't know which would be best and what Wattage should i get.. I don't plan upgrading for atleast 8 years..

Ah.  My understanding is that power efficiency rating has little to do with quality, so being platinum doesn’t make the second PSU more reliable, just more efficient. I don’t know what they did inside the thing to make one gold and one platinum.  My suspicion is the designs are fairly similar, but I know nothing.  With an 8 year life cycle the power savings of the platinum amortized over that amount of time could be significant though. 

My move given available data would be see what the price difference between the two is, divide that by 8, see how much power that buys, and see if the more expensive one might actually be cheaper over time.  There is also the possibility that power prices will increase in the next 8 years so there’s that to consider as well. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

30$ difference. Not much in 3000$ Build.

Corsair RM750X also has two different models.. One with 135 fan, other with 140 fan? Which is better?

Black/white vs Fully black label.

-CP-9020179-EU-Gallery-RM750x-PSU-02 (1).png

13 minutes ago, BuilderBob said:

Corsair RM750X also has two different models.. One with 135 fan, other with 140 fan? Which is better?

They're both excellent, still the one on the left (2018 version) is better (significantly quieter than the 2021 version on the right).

28 minutes ago, BuilderBob said:

To break even the platinum would have to save $3.75 a year in electrical costs. Seems doable, which would make the platinum one perhaps fractionally cheaper over time. Suspecting the 2018 is the gold and the 2021 is the platinum which would make the gold one quieter.  A bit strange, because that electrical efficiency difference would change to heat making the gold one fractionally warmer.

28 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

To break even the platinum would have to save $3.75 a year in electrical costs. Seems doable, which would make the platinum one perhaps fractionally cheaper over time. Suspecting the 2018 is the gold and the 2021 is the platinum which would make the gold one quieter.  A bit strange, because that electrical efficiency difference would change to heat making the gold one fractionally warmer.

Apparently, the Gold and Platinum PSUs OP was referring to are bequiet's Straight Power 11 Gold and Platinum.
(All versions of Corsair's RMx are 80+Gold)

2 hours ago, BuilderBob said:

Thanks for helping. <3<3

Since you're planning to keep your system for the next 8 years, you don't need to oversize the PSU for future upgrades.
Efficiency is irrelevant, as it does not indicate how good the PSU actually is.

For a 5600x+3080 combo, a high end 750W PSU should be more than enough.
The RM750x is a great one, and usually one of the best bang for the buck units out there.

Let us know your budget and where you will be buying from (U.S.?), so that we can help you choose the best available option.

I live in EU. Can get any psu.. Price wise by wattage (750w), most units - same price. Gold ~150 Plat ~170-200 Euro

Isn't 750w like i said overkill? My plan was getting 650w originally.

7 minutes ago, BuilderBob said:

I live in EU. Can get any psu.. Price wise by wattage (750w), most units - same price. Gold ~150 Plat ~170-200 Euro

Where exactly? Or can you point me to the store link where you want to buy the PSU?

QUOTE ME  FOR ANSWER.

Main PC:

Spoiler

|Ryzen 7 3700x, OC to 4.2ghz @1.3V, 67C, or 4.4ghz @1.456V, 87C || Asus strix 5700 XT, +50 core, +50 memory, +50 power (not a great overclocker) || Asus Strix b550-A || G.skill trident Z Neo rgb 32gb 3600mhz cl16-19-19-19-39, oc to 3733mhz with the same timings || Cooler Master ml360 RGB AIO || Phanteks P500A Digital || Thermaltake ToughPower grand RGB750w 80+gold || Samsung 850 250gb and Adata SX 6000 Lite 500gb || Toshiba 5400rpm 1tb || Asus Rog Theta 7.1 || Asus Rog claymore || Asus Gladius 2 origin gaming mouse || Monitor 1 Asus 1080p 144hz || Monitor 2 AOC 1080p 75hz || 

Test Rig.

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 3400G || Gigabyte b450 S2H || Hyper X fury 2x4gb 2666mhz cl 16 ||Stock cooler || Antec NX100 || Silverstone essential 400w || Transgend SSD 220s 480gb ||

Just Sold

Spoiler

| i3 9100F || Msi Gaming X gtx 1050 TI || MSI Z390 A-Pro || Kingston 1x16gb 2400mhz cl17 || Stock cooler || Kolink Horizon RGB || Corsair CV 550w || Pny CS900 120gb ||

Tier lists for building a PC.

Motherboard tier list. Tier A for overclocking 5950x. Tier B for overclocking 5900x, Tier C for overclocking 5800X. Tier D for overclocking 5600X. Tier F for 4/6 core Cpus at stock. Tier E avoid.

(Also case airflow matter or if you are using Downcraft air cooler)

Spoiler

Gpu tier list. Rtx 3000 and RX 6000 not included since not so many reviews. Tier S for Water cooling. Tier A and B for overcloking. Tier C stock and Tier D avoid.

( You can overclock Tier C just fine, but it can get very loud, that is why it is not recommended for overclocking, same with tier D)

Spoiler

Psu tier List. Tier A for Rtx 3000, Vega and RX 6000. Tier B For anything else. Tier C cheap/IGPU. Tier D and E avoid.

(RTX 3000/ RX 6000 Might run just fine with higher wattage tier B unit, Rtx 3070 runs fine with tier B units)

Spoiler

Cpu cooler tier list. Tier 1&2 for power hungry Cpus with Overclock. Tier 3&4 for overclocking Ryzen 3,5,7 or lower power Intel Cpus. Tier 5 for overclocking low end Cpus or 4/6 core Ryzen. Tier 6&7 for stock. Tier 8&9 Ryzen stock cooler performance. Do not waste your money!

Spoiler

Storage tier List. Tier A for Moving files/  OS. Tier B for OS/Games. Tier C for games. Tier D budget Pcs. Tier E if on sale not the worst but not good.

(With a grain of salt, I use tier C for OS myself)

Spoiler

Case Tier List. Work In Progress. Most Phanteks airflow series cases already done!

Ask me anything :)

Okey, i selected 3 that i like the best. And are from "A" tier. (Made voting poll)

Be quiet beeing cheapest.

2 hours ago, BuilderBob said:

If you put a 3080 in it? imho no.  I don’t know what suggested power is for a 6800.  What gpu you have has a very large effect on what wattage you need.  

Will go Be Quiet.. They got better looking GPU wires. Each plug has own wire..

Not like Corsair who has two plugs on one wire.. Making big loop of fat wire next to GPU to connect next plug in.

Untitled.png

1 hour ago, BuilderBob said:

Will go Be Quiet.. They got better looking GPU wires. Each plug has own wire..

Not like Corsair who has two plugs on one wire.. Making big loop of fat wire next to GPU to connect next plug in.

Untitled.png

The two plug system can work as well IF the cable is thick enough to handle double the draw.  You may or may not be getting anything with the be quiet as the two cables could both be connected behind the wall of the box.  Would just effectively mean the extension wire was longer.  I don’t see how it could be worse though so you may have a point. 

They are connected at PSU side, simply "longer" extension for each plug. No loop at gpu.

loop.png

4 minutes ago, BuilderBob said:

They are connected at PSU side, simply "longer" extension for each plug. No loop at gpu.

loop.png

So potato potato (or tomato tomato? ‘Potato’ has a tech meaning these days).  The question then is is there enough power at the base?

Edited by Bombastinator

Yes thats where im not good at.. You tell me.

Will 750w do for 3080 or 6800xt (same power draw ~300-350w)

If i use one plug that goes > to two plugs at gpu

123.png

Tempted to go 850w and use only 3&4 for the gpu.  1&2 have the same output as 3&4 on the 550w for the 750.  Possible that if the 750 works on 1&2 you could use the 550.  It’s not the only thing that uses power so there could be other problems.  What I don’t know is how many amps are actually needed per though.  That’s the big question and one I don’t have an answer for.  Someone else might though