Is it worth upgrading my CPU right now?

aziggy
Go to solution Solved by RONOTHAN##,

The simple way to know is to ask yourself: is my computer doing everything I need it to?

My guess is your answer is going to be yes, and a 3600 isn't a bad pairing with a 3070, especially at 1440p. Plus, there's also the fact that the next gen of CPUs are going to release in the next couple months, and are expected to be a lot faster. If you really want to upgrade, you can upgrade to that, or you might get a good deal on a last gen chip.

I currently have a Ryzen 5 3600, paired with a RTX3070. I plan on getting a new AIO soon, but Im wondering if I should upgrade my cpu as well. If I did upgrade  then I was looking at a R5 5600x. Worth noting I play everything at 1440p, and my current cpu doesn’t have any issues. 

The simple way to know is to ask yourself: is my computer doing everything I need it to?

My guess is your answer is going to be yes, and a 3600 isn't a bad pairing with a 3070, especially at 1440p. Plus, there's also the fact that the next gen of CPUs are going to release in the next couple months, and are expected to be a lot faster. If you really want to upgrade, you can upgrade to that, or you might get a good deal on a last gen chip.

At 1440p you won't be getting any huge improvement with 5600x, 1080p maybe.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

17 minutes ago, aziggy said:

I currently have a Ryzen 5 3600, paired with a RTX3070. I plan on getting a new AIO soon, but Im wondering if I should upgrade my cpu as well. If I did upgrade  then I was looking at a R5 5600x. Worth noting I play everything at 1440p, and my current cpu doesn’t have any issues. 

6-core to another 6-core doesn't make sense

specially at 1440p with a 3070 you won't notice any significant difference.

21 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

16 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

At 1440p you won't be getting any huge improvement with 5600x, 1080p maybe.

10 minutes ago, 17030644 said:

6-core to another 6-core doesn't make sense

specially at 1440p with a 3070 you won't notice any significant difference.

Thank you everyone for the advice. I’ll probably wait until zen4 next year. 

12 minutes ago, aziggy said:

Thank you everyone for the advice. I’ll probably wait until zen4 next year. 

yup, I'd rather do that