My Unlimited Budget WiFi Upgrade

jakkuh_t
11 minutes ago, maksakal said:

Telus Mobility is the server he is pinging to, not from. Above that it says Telus SM-F926B (Which is the Fold 3), he is pinging from Telus with a Fold 3 to a server operated by Telus Mobility. The speedtest app automatically selects a server near you.

Also Linus has near to no mobile reception but full bars Wifi-6 reception. So it's impossible for him to post those numbers using cellular.

Yes, but this is a video about his home Wifi...NOT his cellular provider, after the 15 minute mark, he was NOT on his home wifi as he was trying to test, he was  on the MOBILE CELLULAR network. this is an error in the video sir. 

1 minute ago, nbrowser said:

Yes, but this is a video about his home Wifi...NOT his cellular provider, after the 15 minute mark, he was NOT on his home wifi as he was trying to test, he was  on the MOBILE CELLULAR network. this is an error in the video sir. 

Please read what I wrote again and then revise your reply. He is clearly NOT!! using cellular.

1 minute ago, maksakal said:

Please read what I wrote again and then revise your reply.

Can you READ what I as a TELUS customer and ex-Telus employee both in Mobility and home/business services is saying, after the 15 minute mark, he's testing speeds on the cellular network. Telus Mobility does NOT provide residential services.

9 minutes ago, nbrowser said:

Can you READ what I as a TELUS customer and ex-Telus employee both in Mobility and home/business services is saying, after the 15 minute mark, he's testing speeds on the cellular network. Telus Mobility does NOT provide residential services.

No you are not an ex-Telus employee (not in any meaningfull engineering position) as you lack basic understanding on how the internet works. The fact he is pinging a server operated by Telus Mobility doesn't mean he's on mobile. You are embarrassing yourself.

2 hours ago, Luscious said:

I hear you - I've been down all those roads. Started with the slowest wireless-g, cheapest 2 drive Buffalo NAS, single camera, went wired, then went local storage etc...Heck I can remember firing up n for the first time I had the only 5GHz signal on my entire block - a far cry from the 25+ that appear now. A lot of things you can get away with when you are just a single user only doing ONE THING, it's a whole other can of worms when as few as 2-3 users active at the same time demand something "different" or that latest gadget brings your traffic to a crawl. Fortunately it's not too difficult throwing in a switch or second access point to get around small issues. It's the larger headaches demanding a complete network overhaul that are the most difficult, especially if investing $$$ in new equipment, running new wires means getting into walls+floors or that 2.4/5GHz spectrum is getting congested (NY apartment dwellers know what I mean).

Ehhhh I have 37 devices right now on my network as well as public facing services and it's not that hard to stand up.  Untangle router, single AP...good to go.  As they joked in the video, linus is doing commercial overkill shit cause why not when it's sponsored and free.  Although he's probably just setting himself up for a pain in the ass managing something that's meant to have IT people managing.

Workstation:  14700nonk || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

2 hours ago, nbrowser said:

image.thumb.png.aaa67c6624f7be8d41882cfd9ca58ceb.png

You need to pay close attention.

TELUS is the ISP

TELUS Mobility is the Speedtest server

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

4 hours ago, nbrowser said:

1 hour ago, Lurick said:

image.thumb.png.aaa67c6624f7be8d41882cfd9ca58ceb.png

You need to pay close attention.

TELUS is the ISP

TELUS Mobility is the Speedtest server

Also (like I've pointed out earlier) he has 0 to 1 bar (in this screenshot he happens to have 1 bar but throughout the video he has 0 bars) cellular and full bars on Wifi-6. It is impossible to post those numbers with such bad reception.

5 hours ago, AnonymousGuy said:

Ehhhh I have 37 devices right now on my network as well as public facing services and it's not that hard to stand up.  Untangle router, single AP...good to go.  As they joked in the video, linus is doing commercial overkill shit cause why not when it's sponsored and free.  Although he's probably just setting himself up for a pain in the ass managing something that's meant to have IT people managing.

55 device on Google Wifi mesh, but I'd still take this in a hearbeat lol

I hate how Linus almost never does update/ longer term review videos so we never hear about the usability problems like what he was experiencing with the last versions of his wifi or the last version of his desk. I guess he might not have that much to say in a review of one product but maybe the review videos can be of multiple products or maybe make the video short and put it on Short Circuit or something.

1 hour ago, Granular said:

What, is the 6GHz band not available in Canada?

It is, 6GHz (WiFi 6E) isn't really available on enterprise gear yet. Most if that's coming late this year or early next.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

On 9/12/2021 at 7:49 PM, darwin006 said:

I hate how Linus almost never does update/ longer term review videos so we never hear about the usability problems like what he was experiencing with the last versions of his wifi or the last version of his desk. I guess he might not have that much to say in a review of one product but maybe the review videos can be of multiple products or maybe make the video short and put it on Short Circuit or something.

The update comes with the next iteration. In this video he mentions the problems he's been having with Ubiquiti en underlines why he's going with Ruckus.

On 9/20/2021 at 9:17 PM, maksakal said:

The update comes with the next iteration. In this video he mentions the problems he's been having with Ubiquiti en underlines why he's going with Ruckus.

In this case the issues Linus mentioned where likely encountered not long after he switched to Ubiquiti and if someone is watching the Ubiquiti video because they are considering buying the product these issues might be important to someone. So the fact that when Linus upgrades his new wifi setup years from now any problems he reports about it will benefit far fewer people if any then if he was to do a review video after living with it for a few months.

• 9 months later...

Would love to see an update to this video now that Ruckus has their R760 (Wifi 6E) product on the market. If there are any Ruckus people on this forum, you should hook Linus up. Or me... you could hook me up too. Just sayin'