Win7 Cloned drives to Win10?

Hey LTT friends,

I cloned PC-A drives which was on Win7 and I want to put these cloned drives on PC-B which is a fresh install.

Does PC-B absolutely have to be Win7 to be able to accept the cloned drives or can my PC-B be Win10 and have no issues?

I hope I'm making sense... I have a key for win10 so it would be a waste to not use it but before I do anything and possibly lose all my data, I wanted to know if this was possible.

Thanks for any help/advice, I greatly appreciate you all and what you do!

What do you want to do by putting the cloned drives in the pc-b system? Why not just format the drives and use them as extra disks? Do you need to boot from it?

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

What do you want to do by putting the cloned drives in the pc-b system? Why not just format the drives and use them as extra disks? Do you need to boot from it?

So PC-A wasnt cutting it. I decided to clone the drives and put them in my G-Raid so theyre on hold at the moment.

Basically I want to transfer what I had in PC-A into PC-B but since I backed everything from PC-A that was on a win7 PC, I'm wondering if I can take whats in my G-raid (the cloned drives/files) and put them on PC-B which is a freshly installed win10 pc.

1 minute ago, Chancey19 said:

So PC-A wasnt cutting it. I decided to clone the drives and put them in my G-Raid so theyre on hold at the moment.

Basically I want to transfer what I had in PC-A into PC-B but since I backed everything from PC-A that was on a win7 PC, I'm wondering if I can take whats in my G-raid (the cloned drives/files) and put them on PC-B which is a freshly installed win10 pc.

Yea you can put the drive in and copy the fiels that you want.

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

Yea you can put the drive in and copy the fiels that you want.

Yeah sorry I didnt really explain that part. A lot of software for video editing and project files were on PC-A so I wanted to know if I could just transfer all of that to PC-B which is a fresh installed Win10 PC.

So no issue with putting files/software that were on a win7 pc onto a fresh win10 pc?

2 minutes ago, Chancey19 said:

Yeah sorry I didnt really explain that part. A lot of software for video editing and project files were on PC-A so I wanted to know if I could just transfer all of that to PC-B which is a fresh installed Win10 PC.

So no issue with putting files/software that were on a win7 pc onto a fresh win10 pc?

Yup just plug the drive in and your good.

You will want to re-install software, you can't normally just copy the files over.

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Yup just plug the drive in and your good.

You will want to re-install software, you can't normally just copy the files over.

Is there any way to have exactly what I had on PC-A(win7) but on PC-B(fresh win10) without going through installing all of the programs one by one? Is this possible with system restore?

Just now, Chancey19 said:

Is there any way to have exactly what I had on PC-A(win7) but on PC-B(fresh win10) without going through installing all of the programs one by one? Is this possible with system restore?

Id avoid this if you can, there are just way more possible issues.

But Id do PC-a to upgrade to windows 10 first, then move the drive to pc-b.

3 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Id avoid this if you can, there are just way more possible issues.

But Id do PC-a to upgrade to windows 10 first, then move the drive to pc-b.

Right I want to avoid that. Too much stuff on PC-A that I can't risk losing due to complications.

If I were to clean it up and have a backup of my files/software, the best thing would be to upgrade PC-A to win10 first and THEN clone the drives and transfer to PC-B (fresh win10) correct? (Even if I have to re-install everything 1 by 1)

9 minutes ago, Chancey19 said:

Right I want to avoid that. Too much stuff on PC-A that I can't risk losing due to complications.

If I were to clean it up and have a backup of my files/software, the best thing would be to upgrade PC-A to win10 first and THEN clone the drives and transfer to PC-B (fresh win10) correct? (Even if I have to re-install everything 1 by 1)

What are the specs of both PCs? if pc-b is somewhat new, it won't run win 7 so you need to upgrade first.

Id really do a clean install on PC-b, and copy over the files you need, it will work much better.

If the cloned drives contains the OS then yes.

Otherwise the installed software on the drives will not be recognised by the os on your new pc.

You may be able to run the programs by the running the .exe however file associations/right click context menus/start menu entries wont work unless the software is reinstalled.

19 minutes ago, C2dan88 said:

If the cloned drives contains the OS then yes.

Otherwise the installed software on the drives will not be recognised by the os on your new pc.

You may be able to run the programs by the running the .exe however file associations/right click context menus/start menu entries wont work unless the software is reinstalled.

PC-A clone does have the win7 OS as well as the files and software. How would I go about putting everything from the PC-A Clone onto the fresh win10 PC-B without reinstalling everything? Would it only be possible if PC-B was win7?

55 minutes ago, Chancey19 said:

How would I go about putting everything from the PC-A Clone onto the fresh win10 PC-B without reinstalling everything? Would it only be possible if PC-B was win7?

You cant, as has been said the software will not be recognised on PC-B with a fresh win7/10 install. Software will need to be reinstalled for it function properly.

if you dont want to reinstall software then clone the drives and see it boots without a fresh windows install.