Where do files go when you hit "Delete"?????

char3327
Go to solution Solved by Jtalk4456,
Just now, char3327 said:

@Electronics Wizardy So "deleting files" just means that you are moving the data so that you can't see it anymore basically?

think of it like a real trash can. You spend all week throwing stuff in there but it's not really gone, just sitting in the can. Until you take it to the curb and clean out the recycle bin on the desktop. Even then you can technically recover it, same way you can technically go to the dump and the items are still there somewhere, you just have to find em

So I just deleted a bunch of files from my computer to clean up my file explorer and I was wondering...where do those files go?

delete: they go to the recycling bin

shift+delete: they are written over as being "blank" and can technically be recovered until that part of the disk is rewritten to

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

Just now, char3327 said:

@Electronics Wizardy So "deleting files" just means that you are moving the data so that you can't see it anymore basically?

think of it like a real trash can. You spend all week throwing stuff in there but it's not really gone, just sitting in the can. Until you take it to the curb and clean out the recycle bin on the desktop. Even then you can technically recover it, same way you can technically go to the dump and the items are still there somewhere, you just have to find em

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.

In windows, if you click delete it will be "moved" to recycle bin, which can be recovered if you change your mind.

If you wipe the recycle bin, the file will be gone.

If you click SHIFT and press delete it will immediately delete it without going to recycle bin.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

19 hours ago, SupaKomputa said:

In windows, if you click delete it will be "moved" to recycle bin, which can be recovered if you change your mind.

If you wipe the recycle bin, the file will be gone.

If you click SHIFT and press delete it will immediately delete it without going to recycle bin.

that explains some things.....

Honestly it would be awesome if that "feature" could be turned off... im not actually clumsy...! but my setup is ,kinda, and no leds on keyboard doesn't help...

I don't think this actually happened to me , but I recently deleted a bunch of videos while shuffling some stuff around... which was also weird because as far i can tell windows just changed what was actually open, so I copied then deleted stuff from and to the same drive... which didn't really make any sense lol.

I don't think I lost something important because i have backups, but im not totally sure either! -_-

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

it's not permanent, even if it's no longer in the recycle bin, until new data have been writed where your old data was. Often you can get some of the data back with testdisk, probably all of it if it was on a secondary drive.