Is there a safe way to remove the 4-pin fan connector from GPU pcb?

KazeNoRashid
Go to solution Solved by Hmmtaco,

Just be careful removing the plastic it's most likely connected to the board by some sort of adhesive

Hi everyone, I was trying to install a waterblock for my gtx 1080ti (evga gtx 1080ti sc2). Since the card is a evga variant and I did not find a perfect waterblock for it. Instead, I found one which should work if I remove one of the fan connector (plastic socket and the metallic pins) shown in the following picture. So just wondering if that could be safely removed and how? Thanks!

fan_connector_remove.jpg

Your could probably just desolder the contact points on the back of the pcb

Just be careful removing the plastic it's most likely connected to the board by some sort of adhesive

Like @Hmmtaco said, if you desolder the points on the back of the pcb it should come off but be careful cause gpus are finicky...good luck and let us know how it goes!

If you can't desolder it you may be able to cut it down to size with a dremel, just obviously be careful you don't nick the board

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

21 minutes ago, Hmmtaco said:

hmm I see. Then I probably wouldn't bother installing the waterblock as the risk of damaging the pcb is too high for me. Thanks for the reply!

21 minutes ago, char3327 said:

Like @Hmmtaco said, if you desolder the points on the back of the pcb it should come off but be careful cause gpus are finicky...good luck and let us know how it goes!

I think I'll just go with the original air cooler lol. The desoldering and cutting seems to trick for my skill level. 😅

1 hour ago, char3327 said:

@KazeNoRashid You could just use a dremel or some tool to cut the connector?

This I can see going very badly. The problem is metal is extremely hard to cut and plastic is extremely easy to cut to the point that there is an issue avoiding melting it. You’d need wrists of steel to not over overshoot it as the resistance rapidly changed and wrecking something nearby.  To the point that I think the only safe way to do this type of thing would be to use some sort of milling machine.  Not something to freehand. If one happens to have a milling machine handy it could work though. Hand held Dremel tool though? Bad idea.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1 hour ago, KazeNoRashid said:

I think I'll just go with the original air cooler lol. The desoldering and cutting seems to trick for my skill level. 😅

It’s true I don’t see an easy unskilled minimal tools way to do it.  Very much a pick your poison type of venture.  There is something to be said for picking a poison in this instance.  One tends to learn later useful skills in ventures like that. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

4 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

It’s true I don’t see an easy unskilled minimal tools way to do it.  Very much a pick your poison type of venture.  There is something to be said for picking a poison in this instance.  One tends to learn later useful skills in ventures like that. 

The easy unskilled way is just using a pair of diagonal cutters. No risk to any of the other components. Cheaper than both a soldering iron or a dremel.

I'd advise against removing the header for a different reason. Removing that connector means you can't resell the card as anything other than water cooled card, and people spending all the extra money to go with custom water cooling are unlikely to be the type trying to save a buck on an old used card.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11