Is this normal behaviour for a Ryzen 7 5800X?

Go to solution Solved by Chris Pratt,
15 minutes ago, WeedIsMySin said:

Thanks for responding. My mind is at ease now. I tend to worry about PC parts alot haha

That's fine. Modern components are really hard to kill, honestly. CPUs have many, many safety checks and protocols. If temps are too high, they'll throttle. If temps are still too high after throttling, they'll shutdown to protect themselves. They also won't allow too much voltage. If it's too high, they'll just shutdown. You'd have to go into BIOS and manually disable these checks (if the mobo even lets you) and then do something silly like manually set a voltage of 1.5V+ in order to damage anything. Anything short of that and it's basically impossible to cause any damage.

The same applies with virtually every other component in your system. GPUs, SSDs, etc. are all designed to throttle and then shutoff long before any actual damage occurs.

This screen shot is me running around in Alexandria, in AC Origins. The most demanding city, in the most demanding game that i own.

Why does a stock 5800X boost to 4400 mhz? Also is this voltage too high??

I've seen it spike to as high as 85-86C for a split second before correcting itself back to the low 70's.

TBF only in this game and only when its loading a new area for example when i fast travel or a cutscene. Idk whatsup with cutscenes in this game but yea.

Usually in other games its in the high 60's mid 70's and these spikes are nowhere to be seen.

Its cooled with a Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML240L RGB V2

It's built in a Asus Tuf GT501 and has a total of 6 fans.

GPU resfuses to go over 66C under full load. So airflow is good.

Should i undervolt it or cap the clock speeds at maybe 4000?

Those temps are nothing to worry about. Even at the peak of 86C, you're almost 10C away from it even worrying about thermal throttling.

As far as the clockspeed goes, I'm not even sure what your concern is there. It should be able to boost up to 4.7GHz stock (though that is single core and only on the fastest core). 4.4GHz is about what you'd expect to see for a multicore workload stock. Regardless, you want that as high as you can get it. It would make absolutely no sense whatsoever to lock it at 4GHZ. You might as well have just saved some money and got like a 3700X of something at that point.

You asked if the voltage is too high, but you didn't actually post the voltage. However, Ryzen should settle in around 1.35V during load, but it can spike as high as 1.4-1.5V, which is totally normal.

Long and short, you're fine. Not sure why you're freaking out about any of this.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

16 minutes ago, Chris Pratt said:

Those temps are nothing to worry about. Even at the peak of 86C, you're almost 10C away from it even worrying about thermal throttling.

As far as the clockspeed goes, I'm not even sure what your concern is there. It should be able to boost up to 4.7GHz stock (though that is single core and only on the fastest core). 4.4GHz is about what you'd expect to see for a multicore workload stock. Regardless, you want that as high as you can get it. It would make absolutely no sense whatsoever to lock it at 4GHZ. You might as well have just saved some money and got like a 3700X of something at that point.

You asked if the voltage is too high, but you didn't actually post the voltage. However, Ryzen should settle in around 1.35V during load, but it can spike as high as 1.4-1.5V, which is totally normal.

Long and short, you're fine. Not sure why you're freaking out about any of this.

587156779_Schermopname(42).png.562d51cd336c42a3ae4ede0f71f6ba8b.png

17 minutes ago, Chris Pratt said:

Most i saw it use was 1,45 volt i think? So the spike to 86C is nothing to worry about aslong as its a spike and not actually sitting at that temp?

9 minutes ago, WeedIsMySin said:

Most i saw it use was 1,45 volt i think? So the spike to 86C is nothing to worry about aslong as its a spike and not actually sitting at that temp?

Even if it was sitting at that temp it wouldn't be an issue. It wouldn't be great, and you'd probably want to try to get it lower, but you'll still get full performance and nothing is going to be damaged. Just spiking there is definitely nothing to worry about.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

-> Moved to CPUs, Motherboards and Memory

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

seems normal to me. ryzen 7 5800x is hot, like 11900k hot cpu, so the cooler can struggle a bit.

QUOTE ME  FOR ANSWER.

Main PC:

Spoiler

|Ryzen 7 3700x, OC to 4.2ghz @1.3V, 67C, or 4.4ghz @1.456V, 87C || Asus strix 5700 XT, +50 core, +50 memory, +50 power (not a great overclocker) || Asus Strix b550-A || G.skill trident Z Neo rgb 32gb 3600mhz cl16-19-19-19-39, oc to 3733mhz with the same timings || Cooler Master ml360 RGB AIO || Phanteks P500A Digital || Thermaltake ToughPower grand RGB750w 80+gold || Samsung 850 250gb and Adata SX 6000 Lite 500gb || Toshiba 5400rpm 1tb || Asus Rog Theta 7.1 || Asus Rog claymore || Asus Gladius 2 origin gaming mouse || Monitor 1 Asus 1080p 144hz || Monitor 2 AOC 1080p 75hz || 

Test Rig.

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 3400G || Gigabyte b450 S2H || Hyper X fury 2x4gb 2666mhz cl 16 ||Stock cooler || Antec NX100 || Silverstone essential 400w || Transgend SSD 220s 480gb ||

Just Sold

Spoiler

| i3 9100F || Msi Gaming X gtx 1050 TI || MSI Z390 A-Pro || Kingston 1x16gb 2400mhz cl17 || Stock cooler || Kolink Horizon RGB || Corsair CV 550w || Pny CS900 120gb ||

Tier lists for building a PC.

Motherboard tier list. Tier A for overclocking 5950x. Tier B for overclocking 5900x, Tier C for overclocking 5800X. Tier D for overclocking 5600X. Tier F for 4/6 core Cpus at stock. Tier E avoid.

(Also case airflow matter or if you are using Downcraft air cooler)

Spoiler

Gpu tier list. Rtx 3000 and RX 6000 not included since not so many reviews. Tier S for Water cooling. Tier A and B for overcloking. Tier C stock and Tier D avoid.

( You can overclock Tier C just fine, but it can get very loud, that is why it is not recommended for overclocking, same with tier D)

Spoiler

Psu tier List. Tier A for Rtx 3000, Vega and RX 6000. Tier B For anything else. Tier C cheap/IGPU. Tier D and E avoid.

(RTX 3000/ RX 6000 Might run just fine with higher wattage tier B unit, Rtx 3070 runs fine with tier B units)

Spoiler

Cpu cooler tier list. Tier 1&2 for power hungry Cpus with Overclock. Tier 3&4 for overclocking Ryzen 3,5,7 or lower power Intel Cpus. Tier 5 for overclocking low end Cpus or 4/6 core Ryzen. Tier 6&7 for stock. Tier 8&9 Ryzen stock cooler performance. Do not waste your money!

Spoiler

Storage tier List. Tier A for Moving files/  OS. Tier B for OS/Games. Tier C for games. Tier D budget Pcs. Tier E if on sale not the worst but not good.

(With a grain of salt, I use tier C for OS myself)

Spoiler

Case Tier List. Work In Progress. Most Phanteks airflow series cases already done!

Ask me anything :)

As an owner of a 5800x, I also worried about my temps. Seeing temps spiking into the 80's and hitting 90c under high loads is apparently "by design" according to AMD, so nothing to really worry about there. I've sinced tinkered around with PBO settings in the bios as well as curve optimizer to lower my temps at the expense of around 2-4% performance just so i felt a little more at ease, but it's by no means necessary. Gaming temps around the 60-70c range is absolutely fine also, so don't worry yourself too much ^-^

Ryzen 5800x | Asus ROG STRIX B550-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16gb | ASUS TUF GAMING OC RTX 3070 Ti | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1tb | Corsair RM750x

22 minutes ago, Areyn13 said:

As an owner of a 5800x, I also worried about my temps. Seeing temps spiking into the 80's and hitting 90c under high loads is apparently "by design" according to AMD, so nothing to really worry about there. I've sinced tinkered around with PBO settings in the bios as well as curve optimizer to lower my temps at the expense of around 2-4% performance just so i felt a little more at ease, but it's by no means necessary. Gaming temps around the 60-70c range is absolutely fine also, so don't worry yourself too much ^-^

Thanks, i feel alot better now.

1 hour ago, Chris Pratt said:

Even if it was sitting at that temp it wouldn't be an issue. It wouldn't be great, and you'd probably want to try to get it lower, but you'll still get full performance and nothing is going to be damaged. Just spiking there is definitely nothing to worry about.

Thanks for responding. My mind is at ease now. I tend to worry about PC parts alot haha

15 minutes ago, WeedIsMySin said:

That's fine. Modern components are really hard to kill, honestly. CPUs have many, many safety checks and protocols. If temps are too high, they'll throttle. If temps are still too high after throttling, they'll shutdown to protect themselves. They also won't allow too much voltage. If it's too high, they'll just shutdown. You'd have to go into BIOS and manually disable these checks (if the mobo even lets you) and then do something silly like manually set a voltage of 1.5V+ in order to damage anything. Anything short of that and it's basically impossible to cause any damage.

The same applies with virtually every other component in your system. GPUs, SSDs, etc. are all designed to throttle and then shutoff long before any actual damage occurs.

56 minutes ago, SavageNeo said:

seems normal to me. ryzen 7 5800x is hot, like 11900k hot cpu, so the cooler can struggle a bit.

The 5800x is sort of hot but I think it is the cooler designs that are basically Intel that is causing it.

I have a 5800x and an i9 10900ks.

My 5800x only uses 128 watts max stock but the AIO fans are going nuts. It is basically a hot spot underneath the heat spreader.  

The i9 10900k idles 8c cooler than the 5800x at stock and it uses 220watts. Since it takes up more space underneath the heat spreader it is easier to cool.

2 hours ago, WeedIsMySin said:

This screen shot is me running around in Alexandria, in AC Origins. The most demanding city, in the most demanding game that i own.

Why does a stock 5800X boost to 4400 mhz? Also is this voltage too high??

I've seen it spike to as high as 85-86C for a split second before correcting itself back to the low 70's.

TBF only in this game and only when its loading a new area for example when i fast travel or a cutscene. Idk whatsup with cutscenes in this game but yea.

Usually in other games its in the high 60's mid 70's and these spikes are nowhere to be seen.

Its cooled with a Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML240L RGB V2

It's built in a Asus Tuf GT501 and has a total of 6 fans.

GPU resfuses to go over 66C under full load. So airflow is good.

Should i undervolt it or cap the clock speeds at maybe 4000?

I use a 360mm AIO on my 5800x and running Odyssey or Origins it is screaming.

Mine runs Origins in the mid 60s and never(so far) goes out of the 60s gaming.

I went with a 360mm AIO since I read so many posts like yours before buying. I am now thinking that I should have tried a large air cooler first since it would be quiter with 2 140mm fans instead of 3 120mm fans. 

RIG#1 CPU: AMD, R 7 5800x3D| Motherboard: X570 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3200 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 2TB | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG42UQ

RIG#2 CPU: Intel i9 11900k | Motherboard: Z590 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3600 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1300 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | SSD#1: SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX300 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k C1 OLED TV

RIG#3 CPU: Intel i9 10900kf | Motherboard: Z490 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 4000 | GPU: MSI Gaming X Trio 3090 | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Crucial P1 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

RIG#4 CPU: Intel i9 13900k | Motherboard: AORUS Z790 Master | RAM: Corsair Dominator RGB 32GB DDR5 6200 | GPU: Zotac Amp Extreme 4090  | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Streacom BC1.1S | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD: Corsair MP600 1TB  | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

4 hours ago, jones177 said:

The 5800x is sort of hot but I think it is the cooler designs that are basically Intel that is causing it.

I have a 5800x and an i9 10900ks.

My 5800x only uses 128 watts max stock but the AIO fans are going nuts. It is basically a hot spot underneath the heat spreader.  

The i9 10900k idles 8c cooler than the 5800x at stock and it uses 220watts. Since it takes up more space underneath the heat spreader it is easier to cool.

I use a 360mm AIO on my 5800x and running Odyssey or Origins it is screaming.

Mine runs Origins in the mid 60s and never(so far) goes out of the 60s gaming.

I went with a 360mm AIO since I read so many posts like yours before buying. I am now thinking that I should have tried a large air cooler first since it would be quiter with 2 140mm fans instead of 3 120mm fans. 

Yea CPU fan speed is kinda insane on this chip. Is it only spinning so fast for you in those 2 games?

I set the voltage to 1.29375 in Ryzen master and they are less noisy now. Also limiting the voltage to that value made my PC run cooler overall. Gone are those spikes into the 80's in ac origins even though the AMD guy said that its fine for this chip to run at 90C for hours on end, i dont like it. 

Im also willing to bet these 2 games are harder on the CPU then new games releasing 4 years from now. I think ubisoft really dropped the ball on these 2 titles. I think Valhalla runs much cooler. So atleast they changed.

Hmmm... should I avoid 5800x bc this heat issue? Get a 5600x or 5900x instead?
(I just watched a video stating the same problem of 5800x, runs too hot)

44 minutes ago, Lokiling said:

Hmmm... should I avoid 5800x bc this heat issue? Get a 5600x or 5900x instead?
(I just watched a video stating the same problem of 5800x, runs too hot)

I changed my voltage to 1.29375. The heat spikes are gone. It also runs alot cooled in general. Fan speed is also alot less.

De default voltage is just too high. Like 1.4-1.5? Really? You need a really exotic cooler for voltages that high. Kinda makes sense it spikes and amd says its ok