Brand new I9 9900k running very slow and getting low cpu usage

JJH7

Hello everyone, I recently upgraded from a i5 9600k to an i9 9900k. When I installed it I noticed that it runs very slowly and when i run games that are cpu intensive like fortnite i noticed that i'm only getting 1-5% cpu usage on multiple cores and 4-4.7 ghz. The temps are perfectly fine and I have already upgraded my bios and re installed windows 10. Any suggestions?

My specs are

GTX 1080

i9 9900k

16gb Ram

Gigabyte B365m Ds3h mobo

corsair tx750 psu

Have you removed power limits on the board? The 9900K uses about double the power of the 9600K.

You put a 9900k on that motherboard? Man you're braver than I

It shouldn't really be slower than your old chip - but what are your VRM temperatures and power limits as above

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

35 minutes ago, JJH7 said:

Gigabyte B365m Ds3h mobo

corsair tx750 psu

check power limit like others have said, 65w should be around 4.1, 95w around 4.4, 135w 4.8 (don't do this on ur board) higher if just gaming.

the definition of bravery

5950x 1.33v 5.05 4.5 88C 195w ll R20 12k ll drp4 ll x570 dark hero ll gskill 4x8gb 3666 14-14-14-32-320-24-2T (zen trfc)  1.45v 45C 1.15v soc ll 6950xt gaming x trio 325w 60C ll samsung 970 500gb nvme os ll sandisk 4tb ssd ll 6x nf12/14 ippc fans ll tt gt10 case ll evga g2 1300w ll w10 pro ll 34GN850B ll AW3423DW

9900k 1.36v 5.1avx 4.9ring 85C 195w (daily) 1.02v 4.3ghz 80w 50C R20 temps score=5500 ll D15 ll Z390 taichi ult 1.60 bios ll gskill 4x8gb 14-14-14-30-280-20 ddr3666bdie 1.45v 45C 1.22sa/1.18 io  ll EVGA 30 non90 tie ftw3 1920//10000 0.85v 300w 71C ll  6x nf14 ippc 2000rpm ll 500gb nvme 970 evo ll l sandisk 4tb sata ssd +4tb exssd backup ll 2x 500gb samsung 970 evo raid 0 llCorsair graphite 780T ll EVGA P2 1200w ll w10p ll NEC PA241w ll pa32ucg-k

prebuilt 5800 stock ll 2x8gb ddr4 cl17 3466 ll oem 3080 0.85v 1890//10000 290w 74C ll 27gl850b ll pa272w ll w11

Installed proper graphics driver?

Main: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti, 16 GB 4400 MHz DDR4 Fedora 38 x86_64

Secondary: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G, 16 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Fedora 38 x86_64

Server: AMD Athlon PRO 3125GE, 32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 ECC, TrueNAS Core 13.0-U5.1

Home Laptop: Intel Core i5-L16G7, 8 GB 4267 MHz LPDDR4x, Windows 11 Home 22H2 x86_64

Work Laptop: Intel Core i7-10510U, NVIDIA Quadro P520, 8 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Windows 10 Pro 22H2 x86_64

What RAM do you have specifically.?

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

4 hours ago, YoungBlade said:

Have you removed power limits on the board? The 9900K uses about double the power of the 9600K.

I have not, I'm pretty sure this is what i need to do, im sorta a noob so how would i go about doing this?

4 hours ago, Mister Woof said:

It shouldn't really be slower than your old chip - but what are your VRM temperatures and power limits as above

my vrm temperatures are good but im not sure about my power limits, how would i go about checking them and what would i need to change them to?

5 hours ago, Mister Woof said:

That motherboard is so bad, this is gonna make me have a flashback

No cpu mobo or ram atm

2tb wd black gen 4 nvme 

2tb seagate hdd

Corsair rm750x 

Be quiet 500dx 

Gigabyte m34wq 3440x1440

Xbox series x

10 hours ago, JJH7 said:

my vrm temperatures are good but im not sure about my power limits, how would i go about checking them and what would i need to change them to?

paging @unclewebb

You can use throttlestop to help you diagnose your problem

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

@JJH7 ThrottleStop will show you if your computer has any throttling problems or if the voltage regulators are causing any throttling. You can also use it to see what the turbo power limits are set to. You can use ThrottleStop to adjust the power limits without having to reboot.

https://www.techpowerup.com/download/techpowerup-throttlestop/

image.png.6d64287889431ba7afb646f9a19641b0.png

On a Z series board with well cooled voltage regulators, I set the turbo power limits sky high so they do not interfere with maximum performance. On a B365m board, you will probably have to set the power limits more conservatively to keep the voltage regulators from going nuclear. 

Turn the Log File option on in ThrottleStop and go play a game for at least 15 minutes. Exit ThrottleStop when finished gaming and attach the log file to your next post. It is an accurate source of relevant information.

18 hours ago, JJH7 said:

1-5% cpu usage

What software are you using to judge CPU usage? When you go from a 6 core 6 thread CPU to an 8 core 16 thread CPU, it is normal for CPU usage to decrease. The same load is being spread out over a lot more threads so each individual thread does not have to work nearly as hard.

The Windows Task Manager Performance tab and the Processes tab do not show CPU usage. The Utilization data that it graphs is meaningless on Intel CPUs that use a high percentage of turbo boost like a 9900K uses. Only look at the Details tab.

@unclewebb Helped me out with my 9700f using this same board. I was able to run that CPU without power limits fine but I wouldn't even try it with that 9900k. That sucker is gonna pull some power with no limits. 

No cpu mobo or ram atm

2tb wd black gen 4 nvme 

2tb seagate hdd

Corsair rm750x 

Be quiet 500dx 

Gigabyte m34wq 3440x1440

Xbox series x

5 hours ago, unclewebb said:

@JJH7 ThrottleStop will show you if your computer has any throttling problems or if the voltage regulators are causing any throttling. You can also use it to see what the turbo power limits are set to. You can use ThrottleStop to adjust the power limits without having to reboot.

https://www.techpowerup.com/download/techpowerup-throttlestop/

image.png.6d64287889431ba7afb646f9a19641b0.png

On a Z series board with well cooled voltage regulators, I set the turbo power limits sky high so they do not interfere with maximum performance. On a B365m board, you will probably have to set the power limits more conservatively to keep the voltage regulators from going nuclear. 

Turn the Log File option on in ThrottleStop and go play a game for at least 15 minutes. Exit ThrottleStop when finished gaming and attach the log file to your next post. It is an accurate source of relevant information.

What software are you using to judge CPU usage? When you go from a 6 core 6 thread CPU to an 8 core 16 thread CPU, it is normal for CPU usage to decrease. The same load is being spread out over a lot more threads so each individual thread does not have to work nearly as hard.

The Windows Task Manager Performance tab and the Processes tab do not show CPU usage. The Utilization data that it graphs is meaningless on Intel CPUs that use a high percentage of turbo boost like a 9900K uses. Only look at the Details tab.

@unclewebbSo i downloaded throttle stop and changed the power limit control settings and on HWinfo it says that i'm not exceeding power limits anymore which i assumed was good but im still getting the same performance. I'm using msi afterburner and HWinfo to determine cpu usage. I'll attach the log file below. Much appreciated brotha.

2021-09-10.txt

1 hour ago, JJH7 said:

@unclewebbSo i downloaded throttle stop and changed the power limit control settings and on HWinfo it says that i'm not exceeding power limits anymore which i assumed was good but im still getting the same performance. I'm using msi afterburner and HWinfo to determine cpu usage. I'll attach the log file below. Much appreciated brotha.

2021-09-10.txt 492.26 kB · 2 downloads

@unclewebbI also just went on intel extreme tuning utility and it said i was getting power limit throttling and current limit throttling. i messed around with the settings and was able to get rid of both by increasing the power limits and processor core icc max. after doing this i noticed that all cores were now running at 4.7ghz constantly but im still getting low cpu usage (16% average) and low package tdp W average which was about 65w. My in game performance is still not good even with the clock speed running well. What do you think i should do?

Capturem.PNG

2 hours ago, JJH7 said:

processor core icc max

The ThrottleStop log file was showing lots of EDP (Electrical Design Point) throttling. I was going to recommend increasing IccMax but it looks like you figured this out. 

2 hours ago, JJH7 said:

4.7ghz constantly

On a non Z board, that is the max speed a 9900K should be running at. 

2 hours ago, JJH7 said:

low cpu usage (16% average)

A lot of apps and games are not that multi threaded so an 8 core - 16 thread CPU is overkill. Some games might only have two main threads. Two threads on a CPU that supports 16 threads is going to show a load of 12.5% plus an extra percent or so for the background apps. If you run something like Cinebench, it will fully load all 16 threads but many other apps do not come close to this. What power consumption and CPU speed do you get when fully loaded with Cinebench? 

Run a ThrottleStop log file while gaming if you want me to have a look. Exit Intel XTU and HWiNFO when logging with ThrottleStop so there is no interference. You will need to adjust the core and cache IccMax in the ThrottleStop FIVR window, preferably to the max, 255.75.

If your 9600K was not being fully utilized then adding more cores and threads is not going to make a huge difference. Is performance worse or about the same after this upgrade?

1 hour ago, unclewebb said:

The ThrottleStop log file was showing lots of EDP (Electrical Design Point) throttling. I was going to recommend increasing IccMax but it looks like you figured this out. 

On a non Z board, that is the max speed a 9900K should be running at. 

A lot of apps and games are not that multi threaded so an 8 core - 16 thread CPU is overkill. Some games might only have two main threads. Two threads on a CPU that supports 16 threads is going to show a load of 12.5% plus an extra percent or so for the background apps. If you run something like Cinebench, it will fully load all 16 threads but many other apps do not come close to this. What power consumption and CPU speed do you get when fully loaded with Cinebench? 

Run a ThrottleStop log file while gaming if you want me to have a look. Exit Intel XTU and HWiNFO when logging with ThrottleStop so there is no interference. You will need to adjust the core and cache IccMax in the ThrottleStop FIVR window, preferably to the max, 255.75.

If your 9600K was not being fully utilized then adding more cores and threads is not going to make a huge difference. Is performance worse or about the same after this upgrade?

@unclewebbwhen running cinebench with my power limits very high i couldn't go longer than a minute without it getting too hot. i cranked up the adjust core and cache iccmax to the highest and gamed for a little, ill attach it below. I'm usually playing cpu intensive games that fortnite and valorant, thats why i upgraded from my i5 9600k which if i remember correctly was being very utilized in those games. I can't fully tell if the 9900k has better performance, im pretty sure its running at a higher framerate than my 9600k but its having a lot of random framedrops. is there anything i can really do or do i just need to get a better mobo?

2021-09-10.txt

@JJH7 Turn off the More Data option when logging data. That creates too many numbers for me to look at. 🙃

The log file shows that your CPU is running steady at 4700 MHz. There are no CPU throttling problems. 

The C0% column in the log file is a good indication of how much of your CPU is being utilized. It shows somewhere around 33%. A third of 16 threads means that a CPU with 5 or 6 threads is enough to handle the game you are playing. Your previous 6 core 6 thread CPU was enough. The new CPU runs a little faster so performance should be a little better but if you have the same GPU, I would not expect to see any huge difference in this game. 

In the ThrottleStop Options window you can turn on Nvidia GPU monitoring. Are you using the same driver that you were using before? Maybe your GPU or the GPU driver is causing stuttering. 

When your computer is idle at the desktop, what does ThrottleStop report for C0%? Some users have a lot of stuff running in the background. Windows is very lean if setup properly. Cores and threads are mostly idle. 

FMne4Lq.png

With a Z series board you would be able to overclock a little, probably to 5000 MHz. Is 5000 MHz vs 4700 MHz going to make a huge difference to FPS? Probably not. 

It is possible that the random frame drops are being caused by some driver that is being used by your present board. If this is the problem, a new board that uses a different driver might solve the problem. Performance wise, a new board might not make much of a difference. 

Depending on game, 16% load could still be maxed out or appropriate on one or two cores.

Some aren't very well multi threaded like mmos