32gb of ram but only 15.9 usable

Sliff

This is what you want: https://ubuntu.com/download/desktop/thank-you?version=21.04&architecture=amd64 this should auto start the download for you. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

this is sad.

|:Insert something funny:|

-----------------

#

Just now, adarw said:

this is sad.

Yeah. i guess the ram sticks aren't working for my pc then? 

9 minutes ago, Sliff said:

@Skiiwee29 So after login in on ubuntu i went to settings and it said 15.9gb 

mmmk, so not a windows specific thing then. I would try and reseat your CPU and see if that helps. 

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Just now, Skiiwee29 said:

mmmk, so not a windows specific thing then. I would try and reseat your CPU and see if that helps. 

Reset my cpu? How do you do that?

Just now, Sliff said:

Reset my cpu? How do you do that?

reSEAT.... 

Remove your cooler and remove the CPU from your socket and remount it. 

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig

reSEAT.... 

Remove your cooler and remove the CPU from your socket and remount it. 

Will give that a try 

Just now, Sliff said:

Yeah. i guess the ram sticks aren't working for my pc then? 

its wieird, if they work alone why dont they work together. do you have any friends or family that have pc you can test it out on?

|:Insert something funny:|

-----------------

#

13 minutes ago, Sliff said:

Will give that a try 

If that doesnt fix it, do you have another system and/or Ryzen CPU you can test in that board? This would tell us if its a CPU issue or motherboard to definitively isolate the problem. 

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig

If that doesnt fix it, do you have another system and/or Ryzen CPU you can test in that board? This would tell us if its a CPU issue or motherboard to definitively isolate the problem. 

Sadly still the same and this is currently the only pc system i have is this one
No bent pins either.

Just now, adarw said:

its wieird, if they work alone why dont they work together. do you have any friends or family that have pc you can test it out on?

I only have my dad but he has an semi ond intel pc 

1 minute ago, Sliff said:

I only have my dad but he has an semi ond intel pc 

Alright, so at this point odds are more motherboard than CPU probably as being the culprit since the sticks are all known to work. I presume no other DDR4 system to test all 4 sticks in together to make sure they work correctly in that?

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Alright, so at this point odds are more motherboard than CPU probably as being the culprit since the sticks are all known to work. I presume no other DDR4 system to test all 4 sticks in together to make sure they work correctly in that?

Yeah exactly i only have an old intel motherboard. But i am not sure if i have bought 32gb ram before i think i did and that was the same problem. But not a 100% sure if that was on this motherboard 

Just now, Sliff said:

Yeah exactly i only have an old intel motherboard. But i am not sure if i have bought 32gb ram before i think i did and that was the same problem. But not a 100% sure if that was on this motherboard 

do you have a friend you can bring the sticks over and test in there system?

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig

do you have a friend you can bring the sticks over and test in there system?

Sadly no. i don't have friends 😃

@Skiiwee29 i just got the ram a couple days ago so i can still return them and then save up some money to get a new motherboard and cpu and the ram later on. bc ima get new cpu next month anyway

5 minutes ago, Sliff said:

@Skiiwee29 i just got the ram a couple days ago so i can still return them and then save up some money to get a new motherboard and cpu and the ram later on. bc ima get new cpu next month anyway

Alright, sounds like you have a solid plan then!

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Alright, sounds like you have a solid plan then!

Any recommendation on a good motherboard that isn't like super expensive? That will support the ryzen 7 5800x?

Just now, Sliff said:

Any recommendation on a good motherboard that isn't like super expensive? That will support the ryzen 7 5800x?

you would want to get yourself a decent B550 board then since you will have 5000 series CPU to take advantage of PBO2. I would recommend the B550 Tuf Gaming Plus from Asus. Just built a system using one about 2 or 3 weeks ago it was a great board to work with!

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig

you would want to get yourself a decent B550 board then since you will have 5000 series CPU to take advantage of PBO2. I would recommend the B550 Tuf Gaming Plus from Asus. Just built a system using one about 2 or 3 weeks ago it was a great board to work with!

Thanks a lot. A affordable price for me as well!