Have solid desktop at home, but want good laptop for upper level CS classes and work

Adding onto the absurdly long title, I've got a main rig I've been upgrading and using primarily at home for years, but I'd like a good laptop that I can bring to my university to work on projects on site and in class without being restricted to a school owned computer.

Additionally I'd be taking this to my workplace since I've got occasional downtime to work on school assignments.

I probably won't be doing any hardcore gaming on it and will resort to indies if not medium graphical intensity games.

That said, I would like it to be able to easily handle full browsers, calls on other software, and more intensive projects in visual studio/unity/etc. I was looking into some heftier gaming laptops in the 1500-2000 range, and my income is pretty solid for someone who's yet to complete their cs degree, but I had a few second thoughts of "perhaps I don't need this monster of a laptop when I could instead upgrade my home rig with the excess cost". With that said, I've never actually owned a laptop so I've not really got much of a personal benchmark to work with.

just a thoght for you is that you can use a low powered laptop and use the pc's power via virtual machine.

|:Insert something funny:|

-----------------

#