CPU Throttling for no reason?

I did a fresh win10 install on my brother's laptop (dell w/ 7300hq/1050) and after downloading csgo and starting it, I noticed it ran fine until the cpu started throttling to 1 ghz and the game dropped to 10 fps. I monitored the temps and they are alright, power did't exceed 28w (pl1 is 45w) so it's unclear to me what caused those stutters. I'll attach a pic of the clocks during gaming. Also, on a cpu stress test it didn't do that, instead it stayed locked at 3.1 ghz. How do I stop this from happening?

IMG_20210828_155641.jpg

4 minutes ago, snjfyak said:

I did a fresh win10 install on my brother's laptop (dell w/ 7300hq/1050) and after downloading csgo and starting it, I noticed it ran fine until the cpu started throttling to 1 ghz and the game dropped to 10 fps. I monitored the temps and they are alright, power did't exceed 28w (pl1 is 45w) so it's unclear to me what caused those stutters. I'll attach a pic of the clocks during gaming. Also, on a cpu stress test it didn't do that, instead it stayed locked at 3.1 ghz. How do I stop this from happening?

IMG_20210828_155641.jpg

What are the specs of that computer?

Gaming puts a load on both GPU and CPU, which in combination might exceed some power limit, which you don't hit on a CPU-only load test.

You could have a look at ThrottleStop and maybe also GPU-Z. ThrottleStop includes a "Limits" view that should tell you why you're being limited and GPU-Z should also include "PerfCap Reason" info for the GPU on its Sensors tab. You can also use ThrottleStop to disable limits, just be careful you don't damage your hardware.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

52 minutes ago, Rishi Vasista said:

dell inspiron 7577
i5 7300hq

gtx 1050

16gb ram

1tb hdd

31 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

Gaming puts a load on both GPU and CPU, which in combination might exceed some power limit, which you don't hit on a CPU-only load test.

You could have a look at ThrottleStop and maybe also GPU-Z. ThrottleStop includes a "Limits" view that should tell you why you're being limited and GPU-Z should also include "PerfCap Reason" info for the GPU on its Sensors tab. You can also use ThrottleStop to disable limits, just be careful you don't damage your hardware.

csgo on low shouldn't use that much GPU so that it hits a power limit. I'll try what you said and report back later

7 minutes ago, snjfyak said:

csgo on low shouldn't use that much GPU so that it hits a power limit. I'll try what you said and report back later

Not necessarily, unless you also limit the maximum framerate. Lower details means it has to do less work per frame. If you get a higher framerate as a result, it possibly uses just as much power as producing fewer fps at a higher detail level. More fps also usually means more CPU usage.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

On 8/29/2021 at 5:57 PM, Eigenvektor said:

Not necessarily, unless you also limit the maximum framerate. Lower details means it has to do less work per frame. If you get a higher framerate as a result, it possibly uses just as much power as producing fewer fps at a higher detail level. More fps also usually means more CPU usage.

On 8/29/2021 at 4:47 PM, Rishi Vasista said:

also, it didn't do this before reinstalling windows. And he told me that after playimg some 1v1 on csgo, the problem disappeared even on big maps (?)