THE SIZE OF THE EXTENT IS LESS THAN THE MINIMUM

Kapil Bhusal

The Size of the Extent Is Less than the Minimum

I am having this issue, where I have one SSD in Disk 0 and HDD in Disk 1. When I try to extend that "857.38GB" unallocated space in existing partition or try to create new volume, it shows "The Size of the Extent Is Less than the Minimum" problem. 

image.png.5bcee735a6cfd4b3b3267c10e8551aa7.png

image.png.d0128995064418e0b4669806ad6d6b4c.png

What should I have to do to allocate that unallocated space? 

Just make it a new partition. Or, get all the data you care about off the drive, and wipe the entire thing. Then make a single partition, it's far more convenient.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

1 hour ago, Kapil Bhusal said:

I am having this issue, where I have one SSD in Disk 0 and HDD in Disk 1. When I try to extend that "857.38GB" unallocated space in existing partition or try to create new volume, it shows "The Size of the Extent Is Less than the Minimum" problem. 

Partitions need to be consecutive. 

#PartitionGore

I second @Fasauceome's suggestion to wipe the drive and start over. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

4 hours ago, Kapil Bhusal said:

So, I don't know what mess you have done to poor Disk 1... But to explain your problem:

Windows Disk Utility does NOT move data. So, you can only expand the first partition of 500MB to consume the unallocated one next to it.

You cannot give it to either E:\ partitions or F:\

If you want to have support for data moving, then you'll need to use a third-party disk partition utility.

Personally, I see it as quicker to backup all your data out of disk 1, delete all partitions, format the whole thing, and restart from scratch.

Moving data on a disk has a risk of data loss, so if you have sensitive data on it, such as family pictures, I would back them up first (and in any case, you should have an external backup, HDD can and do fail, doesn't matter the brand and model... anything mechanical will eventually break).

If you insist in not restarting from scratch:

Assuming that nothing in Disk 1 is linked to Windows in Disk 0 (ie: if you unplug Disk 1 (while the system is turned off, obviously), the system can still startup successfully without it, and go to Windows, and all is fine)

1. Merge the 2x E:\'s. I am not sure what you tried to do there. Sounds like you tried to make a software RAID (JBOD) but on the same disk, instead of actually having different disks
  2. delete 500MB partition
  3. delete 652MB partition
  4. Now unallocated spaces should be: 500MB + 857.38GB + 652MB
  5. Data move and merge with E:\ or F:\ (assuming you want them separated, else merge them)
  6. Delete the mini partition in between the 646.49GB and 450MB one.
  7. delete 450MB one
  8. delete 12.47GB one
  9. delete 1.04GB one
  10. Now unallocated spaces should be: the tiny one + 450MB + 12.47GB + 1.04GB
  11. Expand F:\ or if you have merged it with the E:\, expand E:\ to it.

Now, for cleaning-ness, and show that you know what you are doing with a computer to another person, rename E:\ to D:\, and F:\ (if you decided to keep it) E:\

This PC should show:

C:\ -> your SSD with Windows on it

D:\ -> your HDD

E:\ -> (if you decided to keep F:\, and so this is your renamed F:\ to E:\)

Then you have the drive letters for your secondary drives (optical disk, media card reader, and USB flash drives)

Please note that drive letter changes WILL make whatever programs (including games, obviously) installed on those partitions to potentially not work anymore, and you can be sure that shortcuts will be broken to the executable, including file associations. They need to be removed and re-installed. (Uninstallers will also be broken). Windows work with drive letters, and rely on them to know where things are. Changing a drive letter will break all configurations and point to nothing, so for example, a start menu shortcut of.. say Steam will not be able to start E:\Steam\steam.exe. as it now D:\Steam\steam.exe, but Windows has no way of knowing that. The shortcut needs to be corrected to the correct path, or remade. Same for uninstalling a program. The uninstaller location might be moved so now you won't be able to uninstall it. This can be corrected in the registry. However, typically, re-installing the program, will update the uninstaller configuration (and file associations and shortcuts) to the correct paths.