Upgrade AM4 platform or wait for next generation of CPUs?

I am currently running a B450 motherboard with a 3800x and i am looking to gain features such as PCIE gen4 and possible upgrade to 5000 series CPUs which would require a large investment. But i am having trouble working out if i should upgrade my entire platform now to X570 and a 5800x/5900x or hold out for the next generation of CPUs, Alder lake and the AM5 socket. Any suggestions?

And what do you need pcie 4.0 for? Nothing needs that level of performance yet.

2 minutes ago, Pzkf_TIger said:

I am currently running a B450 motherboard with a 3800x and i am looking to gain features such as PCIE gen4 and possible upgrade to 5000 series CPUs which would require a large investment. But i am having trouble working out if i should upgrade my entire platform now to X570 and a 5800x/5900x or hold out for the next generation of CPUs, Alder lake and the AM5 socket. Any suggestions?

Does your computer do the job with making any major inconveniences. If so i would consider upgrading 

10400f

16 gb 4000

1650 super

z490 msi 

p400a digital

games i play: krunker (sometimes), valorant, and csgo

Is your computer not performing to your expectations or do you just need to have the latest??? 

I really don't see the reason why you should upgrade with a 3800X and B450 motherboard. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

9 minutes ago, jaslion said:

And what do you need pcie 4.0 for? Nothing needs that level of performance yet.

Its not necessarily the need but i would like the expansion capacity and as i am looking at custom loops i dont feel it would be wise to put a 500 pound corsair hydro x cooling kit with a 450 pound cpu/mobo combo. surely i have to keep a balance of my hardware cost vs cooling cost

6 minutes ago, SpiderMan said:

Is your computer not performing to your expectations or do you just need to have the latest??? 

I really don't see the reason why you should upgrade with a 3800X and B450 motherboard. 

I dont really care for the latest and greatest, its more of trying to keep a balance since i feel it would be unwise to put a 400+ pound custom loop in a system with more budget oriented parts, the b450.

5 minutes ago, Pzkf_TIger said:

Its not necessarily the need but i would like the expansion capacity and as i am looking at custom loops i dont feel it would be wise to put a 500 pound corsair hydro x cooling kit with a 450 pound cpu/mobo combo. surely i have to keep a balance of my hardware cost vs cooling cost

I mean what are you going to be doing on this computer and or cooling? Do you have like a unlimited budget or something?

Like I HIGHLY advice against going big spending on your system now as next year it's all new stuff that will be supported again for a good few generations.

Is this about the hydro x solid tubing only cpu kit? If so I don't really get why you'd spend 500 pounds on a fancier all in one liquid cooler. That kit is meant to be used in a full loop.

3 minutes ago, Pzkf_TIger said:

I dont really care for the latest and greatest, its more of trying to keep a balance since i feel it would be unwise to put a 400+ pound custom loop in a system with more budget oriented parts, the b450.

Well, you can always upgrade the motherboard to a B550 and keep the 3800X. The 3800X is still a solid CPU for today's tasks from gaming to productivity. I'd only recommend upgrading to a 5000 series CPU if you're on Zen or Zen + (Ryzen 1000 series or Ryzen 2000 series, respectively). 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 

No cpu mobo or ram atm

2tb wd black gen 4 nvme 

2tb seagate hdd

Corsair rm750x 

Be quiet 500dx 

Gigabyte m34wq 3440x1440

Xbox series x

26 minutes ago, jaslion said:

I mean what are you going to be doing on this computer and or cooling? Do you have like a unlimited budget or something?

Like I HIGHLY advice against going big spending on your system now as next year it's all new stuff that will be supported again for a good few generations.

Is this about the hydro x solid tubing only cpu kit? If so I don't really get why you'd spend 500 pounds on a fancier all in one liquid cooler. That kit is meant to be used in a full loop.

The computer is for both production and gaming. My budget isn't unlimited, i amd heavily considering a loop but it seems wrong have the imbalance of parts. with this i am looking to also upgrade my platform from my more budget oriented B450 to possibly X570. My uncertainty came in when i considered whether i pull the trigger to bring everything up to current generation or hold off and wait for the next generation platforms, to go along with loop.

In regards to the loop itself i am looking to do gpu as well but the hydro x kit was just for example there to show how my current platform could end up being less than the loops value.

11 hours ago, Pzkf_TIger said:

The computer is for both production and gaming. My budget isn't unlimited, i amd heavily considering a loop but it seems wrong have the imbalance of parts. with this i am looking to also upgrade my platform from my more budget oriented B450 to possibly X570. My uncertainty came in when i considered whether i pull the trigger to bring everything up to current generation or hold off and wait for the next generation platforms, to go along with loop.

In regards to the loop itself i am looking to do gpu as well but the hydro x kit was just for example there to show how my current platform could end up being less than the loops value.

What does production encompass?

The whole point of a custom loop is to basically look pretty and be a money sink. So if that is ok for you go for it. Plenty of people have done whole loops on what would be just mid range systems because they liked the look.

But before you upgrade what b450 do you have now? Sure it's a bit older but there is no reason a good b450 board like for example a msi tomahawk should be replaced. Also x570 is often not something we recommend as it's extra features are almost never used and I doubt they'll come into use for you too.

If you want a value based upgrade I would indeed recommend you hold off on doing a loop and first get your hardware set for the next 3years AT LEAST as you won't be upgrading often once you have a loop going.

As for the kit that corsair has it's not a bad kit just on the more expensive end but you do get everything in one easy package part from the gpu block.

Also can I have your whole specs? Just to see what you are going to be using as hardware in this loop and if the case and such are a good choice.