Are there any modern quad core CPU’s that uses less than 30 watts at idle?

2 minutes ago, We23People said:

Title 🙂

In what? Most mobile 10nm superfin i3 from Intel (so 10th and 11th gen mobile) is already sub 30 watts even on load.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

1 minute ago, SorryClaire said:

In what? Most mobile 10nm superfin i3 from Intel (so 10th and 11th gen mobile) is already sub 30 watts even on load.

Desktop sorry 

Maybe with the new 12v only psus.

Apparently Asrock deskmini does well too with desktop cpus.

1 minute ago, We23People said:

Desktop sorry 

Sure anything can go below 30w as long as you alter their clockspeeds a little.

Why the restraint? Is this because you want a energy efficient pc? If so then don't worry about it because most lower end chips consume only a couple watts at idle and will dynamically boost to get things done as fast as possible.

1 minute ago, jaslion said:

Sure anything can go below 30w as long as you alter their clockspeeds a little.

Why the restraint? Is this because you want a energy efficient pc? If so then don't worry about it because most lower end chips consume only a couple watts at idle and will dynamically boost to get things done as fast as possible.

Because the computer doesn’t need to be very powerful but needs to be on 24/7

Most modern CPUs use way less than 30W on idle... even 6 and 8 cores.

You can always set a power limit in BIOS if you wish as well when necessary.

12 minutes ago, We23People said:

Because the computer doesn’t need to be very powerful but needs to be on 24/7

Can we know what it has to do?

I mean really any current cpu out now can consume down to 10w idle with ease so really we just need to know what this system has to do and select the appropriately powerful cpu.

You want to look at system power consumption not cpu only. Normal atx system can idle at 50w:s while cpu shows 8Ws.

25 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Can we know what it has to do?

I mean really any current cpu out now can consume down to 10w idle with ease so really we just need to know what this system has to do and select the appropriately powerful cpu.

Just what’s the most powerful cpu that meets the criteria?

At idle, all modern CPUs use less than 30 watts. My 12 core 5900X reports only 20-something watts when I have no applications open and I'm sitting at the Windows desktop.

As proof, here's HWInfo64 when I close all other applications. It's using just 24.9W.

atidle.png.691b637a062859f7c294fd6d48e396a1.png

15 minutes ago, YoungBlade said:

At idle, all modern CPUs use less than 30 watts. My 12 core 5900X reports only 20-something watts when I have no applications open and I'm sitting at the Windows desktop.

As proof, here's HWInfo64 when I close all other applications. It's using just 24.9W.

atidle.png.691b637a062859f7c294fd6d48e396a1.png

Okey thanks 

31 minutes ago, We23People said:

A i3 11000 or a 3300x.

3 hours ago, We23People said:

Top secret

No cpu mobo or ram atm

2tb wd black gen 4 nvme 

2tb seagate hdd

Corsair rm750x 

Be quiet 500dx 

Gigabyte m34wq 3440x1440

Xbox series x

If we're talking cpu package power, all of them.

My 10900k overclocked drops as low as 6w at idle.

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

@We23People How about a 10 core computer that draws less than 30W from the wall when idle?

Intel's power hungry monsters are pretty efficient when properly setup and idle.

i4tnKgl.jpg

35 minutes ago, unclewebb said:

@We23People How about a 10 core computer that draws less than 30W from the wall when idle?

Intel's power hungry monsters are pretty efficient when properly setup and idle.

i4tnKgl.jpg

here's my idle with a ton of RGB and accessories 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

29 minutes ago, Mister Woof said:

idle with a ton of RGB

Using the Intel GPU and not having a Nvidia or AMD GPU installed makes a big difference to idle power consumption. 

3 minutes ago, unclewebb said:

Using the Intel GPU and not having a Nvidia or AMD GPU installed makes a big difference to idle power consumption. 

According to hwinfo64, my GPU power at minimum is 12 with most common 40w at the desktop. So definitely agree. This is with the GPU set to balanced in the nvidia settings.

I also have 3 displays hooked up to it, so the GPU is doing a bit more work even at idle.

If you're looking at low end and energy efficient x86 CPUs to use for a 24/7 operation, then I can really recommend these sort of integrated motherboard/CPU type thingies like this one:

1787978-n2.jpg

This one for example uses a 4-core Celeron and they're just over 100€ here. Even at full load they run on like 10w or 15w.

I think I'll go with the i3 I need a bit more power than a Celeron