Pc wont wake up from Idle.

Stin6667

Good day,

So I don't know if the 2 problems are related but here goes.

1) Couple of months ago I upgraded both my monitor ( Samsung G7 32) and GPU( 6800xt saphire nitro plus), and added an old tv/monitor to help with productivity tasks. After I leave the pc for a whole the monitor shuts off, when   get back the G7 wouldn't turn on, but the old monitor would. It would only come back when I flushed the system( take out the power cable and press the power buttern( don't know if I am using the right term so I am explaning it)). This happenend about 2 -3 times and I suspected the new monitor was at fault. But to test it, I changed the cable. And it stopped doing that.
( this is where I learned that VA panels take a few seconds to warm up before you can see anything)

2) Now the the same thing is happening but, with both monitors and when I press the pwer button on the G7 the HUD comes up but nothing. Even after waiting a bit. Again in order to get everything up again I need to flash the system. I have unplugged the g7 cable but not even the old monitor will turn on without flashing the system. I replaced the cable gain, still.

Do you think it is windows or could it be my GPU?

When I am on it. it works fine. But as soon as it hasn't had any activity in a while ( around 15 min) thats when things don't work.

Thanks  in advance

J

1 hour ago, Stin6667 said:

Good day,

So I don't know if the 2 problems are related but here goes.

1) Couple of months ago I upgraded both my monitor ( Samsung G7 32) and GPU( 6800xt saphire nitro plus), and added an old tv/monitor to help with productivity tasks. After I leave the pc for a whole the monitor shuts off, when   get back the G7 wouldn't turn on, but the old monitor would. It would only come back when I flushed the system( take out the power cable and press the power buttern( don't know if I am using the right term so I am explaning it)). This happenend about 2 -3 times and I suspected the new monitor was at fault. But to test it, I changed the cable. And it stopped doing that.
( this is where I learned that VA panels take a few seconds to warm up before you can see anything)

2) Now the the same thing is happening but, with both monitors and when I press the pwer button on the G7 the HUD comes up but nothing. Even after waiting a bit. Again in order to get everything up again I need to flash the system. I have unplugged the g7 cable but not even the old monitor will turn on without flashing the system. I replaced the cable gain, still.

Do you think it is windows or could it be my GPU?

When I am on it. it works fine. But as soon as it hasn't had any activity in a while ( around 15 min) thats when things don't work.

Thanks  in advance

J

Windows is a lot more likely than gpu I think.  I assume “have you turned it off and on?” works as a workaround?

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

When you upgraded to a 6800xt did you also upgrade your PSU ? Right click your Windows icon on bottom left and go to power options. Restore to default see if helps

42 minutes ago, EternalSlushy said:

When you upgraded to a 6800xt did you also upgrade your PSU ? Right click your Windows icon on bottom left and go to power options. Restore to default see if helps

Point. 6800xts are power hungry.  If you don’t have enough to power it thugs can get quite wonky.  That may not be the specific problem @EternalSlushy is talking about but it can be an issue.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

42 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Point. 6800xts are power hungry.  If you don’t have enough to power it thugs can get quite wonky.  That may not be the specific problem @EternalSlushy is talking about but it can be an issue.

Very true to be honest. If it was a power issue, things would go wrong more often when the computer is actually under load xD

By the way, you mentioned it was a tv/monitor? Is it an actual TV? Sometimes TVs act a little strange when paired with a computer. Go into display settings or your GPU settings and make sure the actual MONITOR is selected as the main display. Sometimes TVs need to be "force recognized" by the system manually and I forget how to do that but should be in Monitor/display settings.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/19/2021 at 11:26 PM, EternalSlushy said:

Hi, sorry for the late reply. Yes, but only to a 650w. Since I still have a R5 2600( planning to upgrade when zen 3+ comes out). I assumed the power would be fine.

1 minute ago, Stin6667 said:

Hi, sorry for the late reply. Yes, but only to a 650w. Since I still have a R5 2600( planning to upgrade when zen 3+ comes out). I assumed the power would be fine.

Might be light.  Not sure. If it’s not it’s on the edge though.  I’m seeing a good 650w as being ok for a 6800.  Could be light for a 6800xt though.

On 8/20/2021 at 12:54 AM, EternalSlushy said:

By the way, you mentioned it was a tv/monitor? Is it an actual TV? Sometimes TVs act a little strange when paired with a computer. Go into display settings or your GPU settings and make sure the actual MONITOR is selected as the main display. Sometimes TVs need to be "force recognized" by the system manually and I forget how to do that but should be in Monitor/display settings.

Since it has an RF port I am assuming it is. I will check that out. I think I remember on an Nvdia card you could do this ( if I am remembering correctly). Never did it on an amd card. Thanks for that. 

2 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Might be light.  Not sure. If it’s not it’s on the edge though.  I’m seeing a good 650w as being ok for a 6800.  Could be light for a 6800xt though.

The other components:
512 GB M.2 SSD
2Tb HDD (internal)
6Tb HDD (USB linked)
24 GB ram
Bluetooth dongle

Do you think it will be too much for the GPU? 

7 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

During the diablo 2 beta, my pc needed a hard reset once during a +-5 hour play session.

I don’t know how you arranged 24gb of ram.  I suspect something might be wrong there.

do you mean too much for the PSU?  I don’t know.  It’s possible. 1 crash in 5 hrs of heavy use implies on the edge to too weak.

46 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

I don’t know how you arranged 24gb of ram.  I suspect something might be wrong there.

do you mean too much for the PSU?  I don’t know.  It’s possible. 1 crash in 5 hrs of heavy use implies on the edge to too weak.

2 different sets of 8gb sticks. Both 3200mhz. Hyper X  and team group. 

Yeah. That's what I'm asking.

This is the 1st game to crash. I have played othe tiles for long periods of hours without any crashes.

1 hour ago, Stin6667 said:

2 different sets of 8gb sticks. Both 3200mhz. Hyper X  and team group. 

Yeah. That's what I'm asking.

This is the 1st game to crash. I have played othe tiles for long periods of hours without any crashes.

4x8 is 32, 2x8 is 16.  If your getting 24, one of your sticks is dead or not registering, and you’re running single channel.

yep.  If it was doing it every time “on the edge” wouldn’t be there.

Well, this is definitely a bit weird... so as long u use 1 monitor there isn't an issue? 

As for the psu... tdp is 300w so a 650w psu should be plenty, however amd suggests a 750w psu... something doesn't add up here at all...

Probably worth investing in a better psu, simple as that. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity