Finding high end QHD laptop, but not overpaying for it. Help needed :)

Hello, I am looking for a QHD 15/17 inch laptop, with 8 core (preferably ryzen) cpu and rtx 3000 series gpu(with my budget I hope for 3070ish). Minimum 16gb of ram and 1tb preferably (512GB is ok) ssd. My budget is Somewhere around 2500 GBP or 3000$ (I think).

Given that my budget is quite big, you may think what's the problem?

Well... I heard that a lot of manufacturers underpower their gpus, making them a bad option. I am also looking for a laptop that has decent build quality, light to carry (around 2kg) and has a webcam(Looking at you ROG zephyrus g15 😕).

I've looked into razer, but there aren't many reviews on it this year for some reason, also it's intel so... I never had intel and a lot of people say buying intel is stupid.

Also a lot of laptops do this: pick 3060 15" you get FHD, pick 3070 15" you get 4k. QHD is middle ground that not a lot of options offer.

I want to work on this laptop and game, my work is programming and rendering/building stuff inside unreal engine.

So my question, do you have any recommendations? 

Welcome to the forums. I don't really want to be THAT guy but, why not just build a desktop? Unless you absolutely have to have portability a desktop suits your needs better. I get the issues with stock and scalping of GPUs but even then it may be easier to find a GPU within the budget to build a kick ass desktop than to try to find a laptop that fits all of your specific requirements for the price that you like. Unfortunately with laptops you get what you get, so what you see and can find are your options. You can add more memory or a bigger drive to it, but other that with a majority of laptops you're limited to what it has in it already. What you see is what you get and the prices they are offered at are kind of set unless you buy a used or refurbished one. There's not really much else to say or recommend, in short. If you want a laptop with these specifics you'll have to pay the price for it, and you get what you get. If you want to better utilize your budget and build the computer how you want it and have upgradability then build a desktop.

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

24 minutes ago, PsykoloGG said:

Hello, I am looking for a QHD 15/17 inch laptop, with 8 core (preferably ryzen) cpu and rtx 3000 series gpu(with my budget I hope for 3070ish). Minimum 16gb of ram and 1tb preferably (512GB is ok) ssd. My budget is Somewhere around 2500 GBP or 3000$ (I think).

Given that my budget is quite big, you may think what's the problem?

Well... I heard that a lot of manufacturers underpower their gpus, making them a bad option. I am also looking for a laptop that has decent build quality, light to carry (around 2kg) and has a webcam(Looking at you ROG zephyrus g15 😕).

I've looked into razer, but there aren't many reviews on it this year for some reason, also it's intel so... I never had intel and a lot of people say buying intel is stupid.

Also a lot of laptops do this: pick 3060 15" you get FHD, pick 3070 15" you get 4k. QHD is middle ground that not a lot of options offer.

I want to work on this laptop and game, my work is programming and rendering/building stuff inside unreal engine.

So my question, do you have any recommendations? 

Most of the Lenovo Legion 5 Pro or Lenovo Legion 7 models tick all of the boxes (especially when it comes to GPU power budget).
Except for weight, you won't find a model with good specs under 2.5 kg.
With your budget you could even get a model with a 3080, though be aware of diminishing returns... especially in laptops (IMHO 3070 with 130W power budget is the sweet spot).

But anyway, here is what I'd recommend (500 pounds bellow your budget, honestly I don't see a reason to spend more)

https://www.box.co.uk/82N6001PUK-Lenovo-Legion-7-(2021)-AMD-Ryzen-7-16GB-_3557999.html

image.thumb.png.3e38b1063a2c1b993402a0075c1b49ce.png

image.thumb.png.cef56d07c93f6996b71a1f385dc50565.png

2 minutes ago, SpookyCitrus said:

Welcome to the forums. I don't really want to be THAT guy but, why not just build a desktop? 

Why not take the buss, why not get a flip phone... 🙂
Have you ever owned a good laptop? 

VGhlIHF1aWV0ZXIgeW91IGJlY29tZSwgdGhlIG1vcmUgeW91IGFyZSBhYmxlIHRvIGhlYXIu

^ not a crypto wallet

5 minutes ago, Biohazard777 said:

I've owned decent laptops, enough to do networking and technician work onsite. I built my desktop to handle everything else I need to do because outside of work I don't need the portability. I could see just gaming but gaming and game development/ rendering and developing in unreal engine? A desktop is much better suited for that(unless OP needs to be mobile).  I'm not saying all laptops are bad, hell I didn't even say any were bad. It all depends on use case and if OP actually needs the portability. Laptop CPUs and GPUs are less powerful than their desktop counterparts, and in higher end configurations can cost more. It's situational, it depends on the user which will be better for them(hence why I asked). I was just asking as well as pointing out why a desktop may be better if OP can't find what they are looking for and doesn't need the portability. 

You have something against flip phones and taking the bus?

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

On 8/16/2021 at 9:47 PM, SpookyCitrus said:

Welcome to the forums. I don't really want to be THAT guy but, why not just build a desktop? Unless you absolutely have to have portability a desktop suits your needs better. I get the issues with stock and scalping of GPUs but even then it may be easier to find a GPU within the budget to build a kick ass desktop than to try to find a laptop that fits all of your specific requirements for the price that you like. Unfortunately with laptops you get what you get, so what you see and can find are your options. You can add more memory or a bigger drive to it, but other that with a majority of laptops you're limited to what it has in it already. What you see is what you get and the prices they are offered at are kind of set unless you buy a used or refurbished one. There's not really much else to say or recommend, in short. If you want a laptop with these specifics you'll have to pay the price for it, and you get what you get. If you want to better utilize your budget and build the computer how you want it and have upgradability then build a desktop.

I have a powerful desktop, I need it for when i travel :)

On 8/16/2021 at 10:14 PM, Biohazard777 said:

Most of the Lenovo Legion 5 Pro or Lenovo Legion 7 models tick all of the boxes (especially when it comes to GPU power budget).
Except for weight, you won't find a model with good specs under 2.5 kg.
With your budget you could even get a model with a 3080, though be aware of diminishing returns... especially in laptops (IMHO 3070 with 130W power budget is the sweet spot).

But anyway, here is what I'd recommend (500 pounds bellow your budget, honestly I don't see a reason to spend more)

https://www.box.co.uk/82N6001PUK-Lenovo-Legion-7-(2021)-AMD-Ryzen-7-16GB-_3557999.html

image.thumb.png.3e38b1063a2c1b993402a0075c1b49ce.png

image.thumb.png.cef56d07c93f6996b71a1f385dc50565.png

Thank's mate, will consider this.