Upgrading Screen from 60Hz to 144Hz

davethenewguy

I have a Dell G7 7790 from 2019. It has an i7-9750H, RTX 2060, 16GB RAM. I bought the model with a 60Hz screen. After learning more about computers, I learned that I should have gotten the 144Hz screen model. I was looking at upgrading my screen, but I do not know if this is even possible. Mostly, I did some research and found the 144Hz screens use a 40 pin video connector while the 60Hz seem to use a 30 pin connector. I was wondering if I could just get the appropriate 40 pin connector with the new screen and plug and go. So, I went into the motherboard to see if this is even possible- if the motherboard video port accepts both 30 and 40 pin connectors. I took a picture. It LOOKS like it is 40 pin, but I am not sure. Feedback overall on this topic would be great, thanks!

video connector pins.jpg

13 minutes ago, davethenewguy said:

Mostly, I did some research and found the 144Hz screens use a 40 pin video connector while the 60Hz seem to use a 30 pin connector.

Most modern screen use either HDMI or DisplayPort (DP). These can be used for both 60 Hz, 144 Hz and beyond, depending on the version of HDMI/DP the GPU and monitor supports. Not sure where you read about 40 pin and 30 pin connectors.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

3 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

Most modern screen use either HDMI or DisplayPort (DP). These can be used for both 60 Hz, 144 Hz and beyond, depending on the version of HDMI/DP the GPU and monitor supports. Not sure where you read about 40 pin and 30 pin connectors.

They're talking about an internal laptop display. Some types use different connectors depending on their features. 

Phobos: AMD Ryzen 7 2700, 16GB 3000MHz DDR4, ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 8GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070, 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT 1030, 1TB Samsung SSD 980, 450W Corsair CXM, Corsair Carbide 175R, Windows 10 Pro

Polaris: Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASRock X79 Extreme6, 12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080, 6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti, 1TB Crucial MX500, 750W Corsair RM750, Antec SX635, Windows 10 Pro

Pluto: Intel Core i7-2600, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASUS P8Z68-V, 4GB XFX AMD Radeon RX 570, 8GB ASUS AMD Radeon RX 570, 1TB Samsung 860 EVO, 3TB Seagate BarraCuda, 750W EVGA BQ, Fractal Design Focus G, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

York (NAS): Intel Core i5-2400, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, HP Compaq OEM, 240GB Kingston V300 (boot), 3x2TB Seagate BarraCuda, 320W HP PSU, HP Compaq 6200 Pro, TrueNAS CORE (12.0)

Just now, BondiBlue said:

They're talking about an internal laptop display. Some types use different connectors depending on their features. 

Oh, I see. I'd rather get an external monitor, much easier than trying to upgrade a laptop screen though.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

I would strongly advise you are wasting your money with this upgrade. Hopefully the display is 1440p resolution and you should find that the RTX 2060 is hitting around 60 fps at high/ultra setting at this resolution. Adding in that turning on ray tracing you're probably going to be struggling to keep the frame rate above 60 fps the new screen is not going to be made full use of.

16 minutes ago, Rameares said:

I would strongly advise you are wasting your money with this upgrade. Hopefully the display is 1440p resolution and you should find that the RTX 2060 is hitting around 60 fps at high/ultra setting at this resolution. Adding in that turning on ray tracing you're probably going to be struggling to keep the frame rate above 60 fps the new screen is not going to be made full use of.

the current screen is just 1080p (the 60Hz). I'm not really that concerned with ultra settings and whatnot- although I would like my games to look nice. I more or less would just like the visuals to be smoother. It is good to knw though that the RTX probably wouldn't be able to fully utilize a 144Hz screen cause I am a newbie when it comes to computers- really don't know where the 2060 ranks in GPU performance.  

41 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

Oh, I see. I'd rather get an external monitor, much easier than trying to upgrade a laptop screen though.

Can I connect a monitor to my laptop and fully utilize the monitor? I feel like I've read that the internals of the laptop will probably limit output to 60Hz regardless of the additional monitor's refresh rate. The main reason I thought about just replacing the display with a 144Hz is because the laptop is easy to take places. Adding a monitor to the setup makes it much more difficult to transport. But If I could fully utilize an additional monitor with higher refresh rate for home use, I would consider it.

13 hours ago, davethenewguy said:

Can I connect a monitor to my laptop and fully utilize the monitor? I feel like I've read that the internals of the laptop will probably limit output to 60Hz regardless of the additional monitor's refresh rate. The main reason I thought about just replacing the display with a 144Hz is because the laptop is easy to take places. Adding a monitor to the setup makes it much more difficult to transport. But If I could fully utilize an additional monitor with higher refresh rate for home use, I would consider it.

That depends on what ports you have. If your laptop has an HDMI 2.0b port then you can connect an extern 1080p 144Hz monitor and use it without limitations.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

10 hours ago, Stahlmann said:

That depends on what ports you have. If your laptop has an HDMI 2.0b port then you can connect an extern 1080p 144Hz monitor and use it without limitations.

I do! thank you for that