How BAD is it if you forget to peel??

ivycomb

Waterblocks and air coolers both share the common trait of a metal cold plate that makes contact with the CPU for heat transfer. This needs to be protected, and not all protection is created equal. What happens to your Core i9 if you forget to peel that little piece of plastic? Let's find out.

i do the writing of things hello | they/them

35 minutes ago, FakeKGB said:

It melts and makes your room smell bad.

If it melts it wont smell (atleast that bad), it has to burn in order to make your room reek. 90-100c is barely enough to soften vinyl/pvc, which is what most stickers are made out of.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Actually a somewhat good video on the subject.

And the circuit equivalent is fairly accurate too. (Though, in reality, there is also thermal dissipation into the motherboard and air. All though, the heat sink takes the majority by far.)

Though, have to say I found it somewhat surprising that the effect weren't all that huge to be fair. Expected worse results and more throttling.

Does removing the CPU help your problems?

Also shouldn't want to have condoms on your equipment?

It lasts longer that way! 🙂

Sorry, but this was very low quality and low effort video that didn't even give clear information why the sticker is bad. Proper video would first showcase Core i3 with sticker and Core i7 with sticker and then both without the sticker and show the difference in temperature and performance.

Only thing I got out of the video is that you can leave sticker on and you'll still be able to play everything just the same anyway. Which is a terrible verdict considering Linus was attempting to tell us we should absolutely remove the sticker and along the way forgot to tell us what that reason was. I usually don't have any complaints, but this one was really bad.

I sent this video to my friend because we had a similar predicament before. His dad put together his computer back in like 2013 (can't remember exactly) and it was boasting some really old i3 and a GTX 750. Because I was the "tech nerd" my friend trusted, he gave me a £500 (or more, I can't remember) budget to upgrade his PC to not be a potato anymore. The only downside is he was 90 miles away from me and I was 13 at the time, so I had to instruct him on how to do it all over a FaceTime call (back when I owned an iPhone ew). We bought a RAM upgrade (2x4gb to 2x8gb), a new CPU (i5-8400), a cooler for said CPU, a GTX 1660, an SSD and a new powersupply because his current one looked like a Wish power supply and didn't have any sort of efficiency rating attached to it. Parts all arrived and I instructed him to take it all apart to barebones. First issue was that he bent the pins on his current motherboard (thankfully not the CPU), so had to consult his Dad to borrow money for a new motherboard. Then whilst asking which cooler he should use for the new motherboard, I told him to use the new one and he showed me the bottom of the old cooler for some reason (i can't remember) and I remember still seeing the label on it with the factory thermal compound behind the label. I sighed at him and we carried on with the built etc. Finally finished the build and yet he was still booting off a hard drive and told me he was getting 12 minute boot times. I thought that was just normal hard drive boot times but boy was I wrong. 

Skipping ahead a few years (literally a few months ago) and I now have his old PC, just with the 750 he used to have until he can buy an RTX card and I get his 1660 (no, i didn't pay for it, because i built him a completely brand new pc for no labour charge in exchange for his old pc). He has 2 cats and the PC has never been cleaned so I took it fully apart and air compressed it all (also made me find out i'm allergic to cats) and I go to turn it on after reassembling it because I needed his data off his boot drive (still the same hard drive) and I let it sit for a whole half hour and it just wouldn't boot. Turns out the drive had been on the way out for years, but the transport on the way to my house (thanks DPD for your careful shipping) had completely killed it. I still have it incase I find a way to recover data off it because there's some things on there he still needs, but can't afford to recover it professionally. I installed Windows onto the SSD cuz that was my plan anyways because only boomers use HDDs to boot off and I tried to plug in the hard drive as a secondary and it'd boot loop if I plugged it in and turned the machine on and nothing would happen whatsoever if I plugged it in whilst my machine was already booted. 

So conclusion of the really long winded story is to find yourself a rich but tech dumb friend, upgrade their PC for them and wait 3 years and you get yourself a decent machine that can play a good range of games and even more once GPU prices fall (in 2055). OH and check their CPU coolers and hard drive health. 

Current PC: 

Spoiler

Motherboard: MSI Z390-A PRO

CPU: Intel Core i7-9700K @ 3.60GHz

Memory: 32GB (4x8GB) Corsair Vengeance 

Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti

Boot: Crucial P2 500GB (M.2)

SSD: Crucial BX500 1TB

HDD: Seagate ST2000DM001 2TB

HDD: Seagate Barracuda 4TB

PSU: Gigabyte P750GM 750W

Case: IONZ KZ10

Current Laptop:

Spoiler

Name: Lenovo ThinkBook 14 20SL003JUK

CPU: Intel i7-1065G7 @ 3GHz

Graphics: Intel Iris Graphics

RAM: 16GB DDR4 @ 2667MHz

SSD: 480GB Western Digital M.2

Secondary SSD: 240GB Adata SATA

Other Gear:

Spoiler

Phone: Google Pixel 6 (128GB)

Headphones: Steelseries Arctis 3

Microphone: Blue Snowball Ice

Speakers: Creative T100

must be getting thin with the video ideas

C'mon guys, be realistic. No-one ever forgets to remove those stickers. Except maybe Powercolor.

https://videocardz.com/newz/powercolor-ships-radeon-rx-6700-xt-with-adhesive-covers-still-on

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

2 hours ago, Spotty said:

C'mon guys, be realistic. No-one ever forgets to remove those stickers. Except maybe Powercolor.

https://videocardz.com/newz/powercolor-ships-radeon-rx-6700-xt-with-adhesive-covers-still-on

Well, likely a new worker at the factory. And relaxed QC operations...
Stuff like this is silly when it happens.

Work in electronics manufacturing myself, and the once in a blue moon "oops.." can happen. All that is needed is to get interrupted by anything for a split second at the wrong time and not catching it...

As long as the mistake is handled, then it isn't usually a serious issue. Though, it still should preferably not happen.

Saying it´s fine if you only game is pretty much wrong and dangerous. I can already see people not removing it on purpose so they can sell the cooler as new in the future.

My newly cleaned PC shut down due to overheating without the plastic in a badly optimized game.Sure case fans were only on middle, but with the plastic they wouldn´t prevent the shutdown even on max RPM. R5 3600.

Seeing people dont peel of the plastic from the underside of the metal cages/ontop of m2's.. oof.

Useful threads: PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | Graphics Card Cooling Tier List ❤️

Baby: MPG X570 GAMING PLUS | AMD Ryzen 9 5900x /w PBO | Corsair H150i Pro RGB | ASRock RX 7900 XTX Phantom Gaming OC (3020Mhz & 2650Memory) | Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 32GB DDR4 (4x8GB) 3600 MHz | Corsair RM1000x |  WD_BLACK SN850 | WD_BLACK SN750 | Samsung EVO 850 | Kingston A400 |  PNY CS900 | Lian Li O11 Dynamic White | Display(s): Samsung Oddesy G7, ASUS TUF GAMING VG27AQZ 27" & MSI G274F

I also drive a volvo as one does being norwegian haha, a volvo v70 d3 from 2016.

Reliability was a key thing and its my second car, working pretty well for its 6 years age xD