Does a brand of a SSD or "tier" in the LTT SSD tierlist matter for PS4?

Newblesse Obblige

Im planning to buy a SSD for our PS4 as the hard drive is getting old and slow. I wanted to buy a cheap 500GB SSD(It should be 250GB as we dont have a lot of games anymore) but I know cheap SSDs are not recommended. My reason is that we rarely use our PS4 nowdays cus my brothers are not always at home so they play once or twice a week unlike before and eventually, we will no longer use it so I thought of getting a cheap SSD. It is ok to purchase a cheap SSD?

1 minute ago, Newblesse Obblige said:

Im planning to buy a SSD for our PS4 as the hard drive is getting old and slow. I wanted to buy a cheap 500GB SSD(It should be 250GB as we dont have a lot of games anymore) but I know cheap SSDs are not recommended. My reason is that we rarely use our PS4 nowdays cus my brothers are not always at home so they play once or twice a week unlike before and eventually, we will no longer use it so I thought of getting a cheap SSD. It is ok to purchase a cheap SSD?

Honestly, going for a cheap SSD isn't as bad an idea as you might think. Most SATA drives are within spitting distance of each other in terms of performance, so it doesn't really matter. I'd just make sure to get a drive that has DRAM in it, but other than that basically every SSD will be better than that hard drive by a lot. You will be limited by the interface for performance, not by the drive for like 90% of the drives on the market.

2 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

A cheap SSD should be fine here. They will all be faster than a hdd, and dramless drives will work fine here.

Should get a 250GB or 500GB?. We dont have many games anymore so I thought of getting a 250GB SSD.