Safe operating temperature for a "Western Digital" HDD?

The Strange

Hi guys, I would like to know more about the safest temperature for an HDD.

First Of all, I'm living in a very hot country, summer average temperature right now is 42.

I like gaming most of the time, always making sure about cooling all my stuff, no such problem about CPU/GPU temperatures but only my HDDs. 

According to "WD" site, max operating temperature is 60.C, so its not such a problem to operate less than this, but I have googled around and got an info saying that failure probability is starting from 55.C, so I should make sure its not reaching 55.C at all, below than this its fine. 

I'm really getting more and more confused, can't get a fixed rule.

So guys, here I'm asking, what is the REAL max temperature I can operate and have gaming safely without worries? 

There is no definite answer.

The 60°C that WD specifies is the max operating temperature, meaning at that point it will still function properly. That doesn't mean it won't have any effect on it.

Generally speaking, anything below 60°C is fine, as long as it's not for a prolonged duration.

Personally, I'd make sure it always stays under 50°C, but that doesn't mean it will automatically die at a temperature over 50°C. Just use common sense, make sure it receives enough airflow and you'll be fine for many many years.

3 minutes ago, Senzelian said:

Personally, I'd make sure it always stays under 50°C, but that doesn't mean it will automatically die at a temperature over 50°C. Just use common sense, make sure it receives enough airflow and you'll be fine for many many years.

Its 42.C here in my country, this cannot be satisfied, normally it will operate between 50-54, honestly all I can do is making sure to stay under 54-55.

4 minutes ago, The Strange said:

Its 42.C here in my country, this cannot be satisfied, normally it will operate between 50-54, honestly all I can do is making sure to stay under 54-55.

Well, always have backups of important data and you're fine or switch to ssd

Edit : 42° is a lot !

I'm willing to swim against the current.

The max operating temperature generally is the maximum they will cover under warranty, expect it to die the day after the warrant expires if you ran it at that.  Other than that, the lower the better.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

Google released info years ago stating they saw increased failure of drives over 50c. That was a few years ago at this point tho. 

45 drives releases info every quarter about drive health and statistics. They are a great source of info for these types of questions since they have very detailed information and statistical analysis across tens of thousands of drives. I have not looked at their numbers often, but I bet they also saw under 50 is ideal. 

That said, 55 won’t kill a drive instantly. A buddy of mine runs a 24 bay NAS and his drives are typically over 55, and they have been fine for 4+ years being on 24/7. 

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

Realistically you'll be fine unless you have a large stack of drives running next to each other inside a case with no airflow. Personally I would try to keep them under 55°, but even if they do get that hot they're not going to fail instantly. if you're worried then add some airflow. 

Phobos: AMD Ryzen 7 2700, 16GB 3000MHz DDR4, ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 8GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070, 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT 1030, 1TB Samsung SSD 980, 450W Corsair CXM, Corsair Carbide 175R, Windows 10 Pro

Polaris: Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASRock X79 Extreme6, 12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080, 6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti, 1TB Crucial MX500, 750W Corsair RM750, Antec SX635, Windows 10 Pro

Pluto: Intel Core i7-2600, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASUS P8Z68-V, 4GB XFX AMD Radeon RX 570, 8GB ASUS AMD Radeon RX 570, 1TB Samsung 860 EVO, 3TB Seagate BarraCuda, 750W EVGA BQ, Fractal Design Focus G, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

York (NAS): Intel Core i5-2400, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, HP Compaq OEM, 240GB Kingston V300 (boot), 3x2TB Seagate BarraCuda, 320W HP PSU, HP Compaq 6200 Pro, TrueNAS CORE (12.0)

STATISTICALLY,  hard drives have a higher chance of failure the hotter they're working.

You can see Google's hard drive study results for that, Failure Trends in a Large Disk Drive Population : https://static.googleusercontent.com/media/research.google.com/en//archive/disk_failures.pdf

See section 3.4 in that pdf.

The colder the drive works, the higher the failure rate... you can see a drives working at 20c have around 6-7% annual failure rate.

The risk of failure goes up once you go above 45c  but not by a significant percentage.  HOWEVER, see next graph

image.png.3137b50e5464aaf89c3f9bc86ec0262d.png

So new drives will have a much higher risk of failure in the first few months if they're kept at very cool temperatures.

BUT if the drive survives the first 3 months or so of 24/7 use or near 24/7 use, then 30c..45c seems to be the optimal temperature for hard drives, until you go over 3 years, when chance of failure goes up significantly if it runs at more than 40c

Basically, if your drive has a 3 year warranty or less, try to keep it at 30c..40c, but up to 45c is fairly safe.

Doesn't matter if it's western digital or other brand, the study tested lots of drives from lots of manufacturers.

image.png.a7bb829d70f1de021f3ea6d5f7ba616d.png