Should I bother replacing my PSU?

cacoe
Go to solution Solved by zoidzoid,
17 minutes ago, cacoe said:

It is very tempting, I find looking at PSU specs quite overwealming. I know we have the tier list but even that is a bit extra, any recommendations? Fully modular, and quiet preferred. 

I know the crashes could have been caused by multiple reasons, PSU is the cheapest first step though.

Theres so many options its hard to suggest one, determining factor should be what has a good price at the time as prices change very often. 2 decent options on Amazon would be the nzxt c750 for 79.99 and corsair rm650 for 69.99, try get as close to £1 per watt as possible.

1 minute ago, cacoe said:

The cable thing wouldn't have been so much of a problem because the major cables I'm using have cablemod extensions.

And that is probably the reason you get BSODs, don't use extensions.

1 minute ago, cacoe said:

Why do the cables have capacitors embedded in them?

They help with ripple somewhat but it's already so low that it isn't worth it IMO, i don't know why Corsair keeps using cables with inline caps.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

4 minutes ago, Juular said:

And that is probably the reason you get BSODs, don't use extensions.

They help with ripple somewhat but it's already so low that it isn't worth it IMO, i don't know why Corsair keeps using cables with inline caps.

I'm not saying you're wrong on the matter of extensions, always open to hear new views, but I had no problems with extensions for a year and a half and practically every youtuber I've seen has never brought up an issue with them? (not the quality ones at least) - quite happily endorsing the use of them even when they aren't a sponsor. 

Case - Phanteks Evolv X | PSU - EVGA 650w Gold Rated | Mobo - ASUS Strix x570-f | CPU - AMD r9 3900x | RAM - 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200mhz @ 3600mhz | GPU - EVGA nVidia 2080s 8GB  | OS Drive - Sabrent 256GB Rocket NVMe PCI Gen 4 | Game Drive - WD 1tb NVMe Gen 3  |  Storage - 7TB formatted
Cooled by a crap load of Noctua fans and Corsair H150i RGB Pro XT

8 minutes ago, cacoe said:

I'm not saying you're wrong on the matter of extensions, always open to hear new views, but I had no problems with extensions for a year and a half and practically every youtuber I've seen has never brought up an issue with them? (not the quality ones at least) - quite happily endorsing the use of them even when they aren't a sponsor. 

Random YT'ers aren't exactly kind of sources i'd cite when it comes to PSUs, the amount of bullshit there are is astonishing, even from popular and seemingly somewhat knowledgeable like J2C and Linus. I've seen quite a few cases where getting rid of extensions made the PC stable, it certainly happens, but sure, there are people who use them and don't get any problems too.

5 hours ago, 0591ryan said:

Seasonic is reputable and easy to find reviews-they know they have brand reputation so expect to pay a bit of a price premium

there are other OEMs like FSP and SuperFlower that make good PSUs as well

sigh Please don't judge PSU quality by OEM... Each and every one of these has made or does make terrible PSUs. And Seasonic's high end isn't even... good, lmao

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

^-^

13 minutes ago, Elisis said:

sigh Please don't judge PSU quality by OEM... Each and every one of these has made or does make terrible PSUs. And Seasonic's high end isn't even... good, lmao

Sure they can, I wasn’t trying to suggest that every PSU they’ve ever made is god tier-I fully appreciate that as an OEM, if a customer wants a cheap PSU to rebadge, then Seasonic will deliver the customers request

how would you describe Seasonic as a brand? I describe it as reputable and reliable, as PSUs go, you could absolutely do worse

say what you will, ripple suppression isn’t up to your standards or what have you, but it does what I ask it to do, I’m reasonably confident that it won’t blow up and take my computer with it and it delivers the wattage that is on the box at the efficiency(not an indicator of quality I know) listed and I trust that the protections listed as being included will function as expected

ive seen reviews ding PSUs for caps being placed close together, while I’m sure there is a good reason for doing so, it’s meaningless overall to my experience

Maybe I set the bar too low

2 minutes ago, 0591ryan said:

how would you describe Seasonic as a brand? I describe it as reputable and reliable, as PSUs go, you could absolutely do worse

I would describe it as a brand that is highly overrated despite being any old brand. And just because you can do worse doesn't mean you should still go "Oh, just buy Seasonic et al."

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

^-^

3 minutes ago, Elisis said:

I would describe it as a brand that is highly overrated despite being any old brand. And just because you can do worse doesn't mean you should still go "Oh, just buy Seasonic et al."

Fair enough, a buyer should absolutely do research but I think you would agree with the main point I was trying to get at

“Don’t buy rebadged systems if you can’t find a solid review”

and the fact of the matter is, Seasonic as a brand is well-reviewed and by that I mean it has many reviews not necessarily gushing with praise

same goes for other OEMs, I imagine Delta, FSP and the rest get reviews fairly often when they release a new platform

Rebadges can be good but you can also get screwed with silent component swaps without the customer knowing

Its my personal belief(unfounded as it may be) that this is less likely to happen with OEM brands, since there is no incentive to swap in competitor designs

it is ok to take a lesser product so long as you know what you are getting, having said that-I would be very interested and disappointed to find that consumers had ever been lied to regarding a particular brands products, once someone does that to me-the brand is dead to me

Ok, taking all of this into consideration.... Is the NZXT one actually shit or not?

Case - Phanteks Evolv X | PSU - EVGA 650w Gold Rated | Mobo - ASUS Strix x570-f | CPU - AMD r9 3900x | RAM - 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200mhz @ 3600mhz | GPU - EVGA nVidia 2080s 8GB  | OS Drive - Sabrent 256GB Rocket NVMe PCI Gen 4 | Game Drive - WD 1tb NVMe Gen 3  |  Storage - 7TB formatted

7 minutes ago, cacoe said:

Ok, taking all of this into consideration.... Is the NZXT one actually shit or not?

I’m waiting for the “experts” to reply

19 minutes ago, cacoe said:

Well you seemed to sum it up best when you basically said the other suggestion edged out the nzxt pick but it wouldn’t be worth the hassle to get a different one-I think it’s fine

Slightly confused about this discrepancy on the Amazon product photos (both from the C750)

(look at the printed layout)

image.png.c779aa5f97215fe8ec76456ec31eaa45.png

image.thumb.png.843df26abe4bfb738cc7364cc934274d.png

7 hours ago, cacoe said:

It's fine, considering it's also decently priced, RM-x is better but at this point unless you've already cancelled the order yesterday i'd forget about it.

7 hours ago, cacoe said:

Slightly confused about this discrepancy on the Amazon product photos (both from the C750)

These 2x4 sockets are interchangeable anyway.

Two things - looks like of the NZXT cables have capacitors in them, also the plug layout on the back is actually better than the Amazon product page, 2x dedicated for CPU and 3x dedicated for gpu

There's a fairly obvious space saving too

IMG_20210804_184741.jpg

IMG_20210804_184724.jpg

1 hour ago, cacoe said:

2x dedicated for CPU and 3x dedicated for gpu

Again, they're identical. You can plug any CPU cable in the socket marked for CPU and vice-versa. They're electrically interchangeable because
 the pinout on the PSU side is identical, and it's a single-rail PSU so no need to follow the rail configuration either.

1 hour ago, cacoe said:

looks like of the NZXT cables have capacitors in them

Huh, you're right actually, i don't know how they would compare to Corsair cables then from usability perspective.

4 minutes ago, Juular said:

Again, they're identical. You can plug any CPU cable in the socket marked for CPU and vice-versa. They're electrically interchangeable because
 the pinout on the PSU side is identical, and it's a single-rail PSU so no need to follow the rail configuration either.

Huh, you're right actually, i don't know how they would compare to Corsair cables then from usability perspective.

True but what I mean to say is, there's actually one more power output port than advertised via Amazon.

Not a fan of these pcie cables all having splitters on the same rail, think I'll use two of them instead of using one 

IMG_20210804_190246.jpg