Lag, ping and Internet

NotCoffee

I have good internet at about a 500 download speed and 350 upload speed and in Minecraft bedwars I have 30 ping and I still get so much lag and lag backs. How can I fix this?

Thats common in Minecraft servers. its likely server side, not your side for the rubber banding effect you see and feel. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Speed is not equal to latency. The only time speed comes into play is when you have someone downloading X at full available bandwidth which causes other applications to drop packets leading to packet loss and retransmission. Faster internet though does not equal better ping.

Wired is the lowest latency since there isn't really much ability for interference (unless you run your cable next to a HIGH voltage device)

Wireless is where latency and lag can more easily be introduced, it's a shared medium across all the devices on and near your network. The more things the more choppy stuff can become and the more latency you'll see as more things talk and wait to talk to/from your router. Additionally distance from the router plays a factor too in wireless communications.

Since you didn't tell us how your computer connects to the internet I'm going to assume wireless and in that case either forcing your PC to stay on the 5GHz band (if possible) and reducing the number of things on the wireless network is about all you can really do.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Distance to the server is going to introduce latency that you cannot in any way get around unless you can break the laws of physics and get light to travel faster. So there is a limit to how low latency to a server far away can go. Hops between equipment adds some amount of latency too, lots of hops adding small bits of latency adds up as well and there isn't really anything you can do to negate that either.

Additionally the type of internet you have plays a role. Fiber is generally going to give you the lowest latency overall but coax is generally pretty decent. (x)DSL is going to vary a lot depending on distance but based on your speeds I suspect you're on likely on fiber of some sort. Depending on how overloaded the local node is as well can also play a role similar to what I mentioned above, too much traffic and packets get dropped causing retransmission of data leads to lag and other impacts on gaming.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

23 hours ago, Lurick said:

Distance to the server is going to introduce latency that you cannot in any way get around unless you can break the laws of physics and get light to travel faster. So there is a limit to how low latency to a server far away can go. Hops between equipment adds some amount of latency too, lots of hops adding small bits of latency adds up as well and there isn't really anything you can do to negate that either.

Additionally the type of internet you have plays a role. Fiber is generally going to give you the lowest latency overall but coax is generally pretty decent. (x)DSL is going to vary a lot depending on distance but based on your speeds I suspect you're on likely on fiber of some sort. Depending on how overloaded the local node is as well can also play a role similar to what I mentioned above, too much traffic and packets get dropped causing retransmission of data leads to lag and other impacts on gaming.

But if I have 30 ping how am I still getting so many lag backs?

7 hours ago, NotCoffee said:

But if I have 30 ping how am I still getting so many lag backs?

Certain mods can use lots of resources and basically that can effect the servers performance. Like others have said it could very well be an issue server side. Maybe not enough RAM or too much CPU usage. Who knows. Id contact the server admin about issues. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.