CPU constantly running at 4.65ghz or over

Go to solution Solved by unclewebb,

@Andreas Pedersen If you are using the Windows Balanced power plan, your CPU will slow down when it is lightly loaded. The picture you posted shows that the CPU is not lightly loaded. Something is running in the background. Utilization should not be 11% when your computer is idle. Intel CPUs will not slow down if they have something to do.

Look at the Details tab and find out what is running on your computer.

Here is how my computer looks when using the Windows High Performance power plan.

image.png.ab26c67fc99429f64fab3d59a90dbf11.png

When using the Windows Balanced Power Plan, the CPU slows down because it has nothing to do.

image.png.b7bf00848fd60d03f0811d287e15abd5.png

When the C states are enabled, a slow CPU or a fast CPU does not make much of a difference. Your CPU will last a long time no matter what speed you choose to run it at.

Hi
My I noticed in task manager that my CPU never dips below 4.65Ghz, it will go higher when im using my pc but whenever its just sitting there it is always at 4.66ghz.
I've looked in windows power plan but none of them seem to make a difference so im not sure if they work properly on my system.
CPU is i7 10700K and it's not overclocked. Is that normal for the CPU to be running at that speed at all times?

Udklip.JPG

16 minutes ago, Andreas Pedersen said:

Hi
My I noticed in task manager that my CPU never dips below 4.65Ghz, it will go higher when im using my pc but whenever its just sitting there it is always at 4.66ghz.
I've looked in windows power plan but none of them seem to make a difference so im not sure if they work properly on my system.
CPU is i7 10700K and it's not overclocked. Is that normal for the CPU to be running at that speed at all times?

Udklip.JPG

thats normal do not worry its just how the Auto OC works. i think its similar to PBO in amd i dont know if its the same algorithm as intel though but im guessing its similar

Check cpuz or hwmonitor for actual speeds

Task manager can report bullshit speeds the cpu is not actually running at

And why is this a concern to you?

Also isnt it kinda dumb to buy a k cpu and not overclock or even undervolt it?

@Andreas Pedersen If you are using the Windows Balanced power plan, your CPU will slow down when it is lightly loaded. The picture you posted shows that the CPU is not lightly loaded. Something is running in the background. Utilization should not be 11% when your computer is idle. Intel CPUs will not slow down if they have something to do.

Look at the Details tab and find out what is running on your computer.

Here is how my computer looks when using the Windows High Performance power plan.

image.png.ab26c67fc99429f64fab3d59a90dbf11.png

When using the Windows Balanced Power Plan, the CPU slows down because it has nothing to do.

image.png.b7bf00848fd60d03f0811d287e15abd5.png

When the C states are enabled, a slow CPU or a fast CPU does not make much of a difference. Your CPU will last a long time no matter what speed you choose to run it at.

On 8/1/2021 at 5:21 PM, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Check cpuz or hwmonitor for actual speeds

Task manager can report bullshit speeds the cpu is not actually running at

And why is this a concern to you?

Also isnt it kinda dumb to buy a k cpu and not overclock or even undervolt it?

I might overclock it at some point, I just like having the option so I went with a k model.

1 hour ago, Andreas Pedersen said:

I might overclock it at some point, I just like having the option so I went with a k model.

Hmm

Reasonable

But if it was like 30$+ above the non k variant then it is still stupid since resale value will prob at most increase by 20$ with a k cpu (assuming you never overclocked)

Though consider doing some undervolting if you dont overclock, that way your cpu will run cooer and more efficiently