Planning a new build for 2021-2022 to run 1440P @144hz

c00face

Budget (including currency): $1,500 - $2,000

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: New World MMO and Lost ARK MMO majority of the time. Other triple-A games just to try out when bored.

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): Will upgrade everything, not using any external parts except for HDD. Upgrading from RX 480; intel i5-4690k 1150-socket. Resolution I want to play on is 1440P @144hz, maybe 27" monitor. Timeframe to when I'll buy is now till early next year.

Just now, Surestgarlic2 said:

3090?

That graphics card costs more then his entire budget. He would be fine with a 3060ti/3070. 

1 minute ago, Surestgarlic2 said:

3090?

heard it was a scam. but if it can run 1440p @144hz easily, sure why not.

30 minutes ago, Surestgarlic2 said:

I would make these changes:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/kPKTK3

I upgraded the GPU with the bundle from centralcomputers, upgraded the monitor, swapped the ram for something more affordable, and dropped the CPU from a 5800x to a 5600x to fit in the better monitor. I personally think you'll notice the difference of a better monitor and GPU more then you will notice the slight performance dip from a 5800x -> 5600x. However, the move from a 3060 -> 3070 should still result in better FPS.

2 minutes ago, Sorenson said:

I upgraded the GPU with the bundle from centralcomputers, upgraded the monitor, swapped the ram for something more affordable, and dropped the CPU from a 5800x to a 5600x to fit in the better monitor. I personally think you'll notice the difference of a better monitor and GPU more then you will notice the slight performance dip from a 5800x -> 5600x. However, the move from a 3060 -> 3070 should still result in better FPS.

honestly I wouldn't trust central computers but that's just me it seems like a scam though

16 minutes ago, Surestgarlic2 said:

honestly I wouldn't trust central computers but that's just me it seems like a scam though

That's where I got my 3070 from. I've bought several things from them and have never had an issue. If you're worried you can always just use a credit card where you have fraud protection. 

3 hours ago, Sorenson said:

3 hours ago, Surestgarlic2 said:

Thanks. I was going to buy the monitor separately away from the PC budget. I'll take a look at what was put together on pcpartpicker.

8 hours ago, c00face said:

Upgrading from RX 480; intel i5-4690k 1150-socket.

For now overclock the shit out of your rx 480 and i5 4690k

Save volt for ocing the cpu is somewhere around 1.4-1.45v and dont go above 90c

You can just slam the power limit to max and oc the gpu as much as you want, just keep the temps under 90c and youll be fine, only way to damage a graphics card from ocing is modding the graphics card for extra ocing ability

That should make your experience abit more tolerable so waiting for your upgrade isnt gonna be a pain

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/31/2021 at 2:00 PM, Sorenson said:

On 7/31/2021 at 9:14 PM, Somerandomtechyboi said:

For now overclock the shit out of your rx 480 and i5 4690k

On 7/31/2021 at 1:29 PM, Surestgarlic2 said:

This is the build I ended up with. Tell me what you guys think, https://pcpartpicker.com/list/GfhG9N

The price is off on pcpartpicker. The ending price including monitor was $3,357.39. The 3080, I was able to pick up for $1,600 total. A lot higher than what I wanted, but I think this last me a few generations and I can swap out some parts if I need to replace. 

It looks great man! I think you’re going to have a great time with it. I highly recommend updating your bios with ryzen 5000 if you haven’t already. 

48 minutes ago, Sorenson said:

It looks great man! I think you’re going to have a great time with it. I highly recommend updating your bios with ryzen 5000 if you haven’t already. 

the new bios coming in or the current one i have?

30 minutes ago, c00face said:

the new bios coming in or the current one i have?

The motherboards typically have bios that are a couple months old. There are some nice updates that came in to fix USB issues and other minor stuff with 5xxx series CPUs. Plus, depending on how old the bios are you might not be able to instal windows properly until you update them.